Join our zoo community

Aquarium of the Pacific Aquarium of the Pacific

Discussion in 'United States' started by Sun Wukong, 13 Aug 2008.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Not an usally species for an aquarium....

3. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

4. Tarsius

I've seen a lot of non-aquatic mammals and birds in diffrent japanese aquariums, but mostly, they had a relationship to water...

But I see no sense to keep merkats, arctic foxes or even tigers ! ( Downtwon Aquarium Denver ) in an aquarium....I think, these aquariums are keeping them to get more visitors or stop to loose visitors. On the other side, I've seen in many Us-Zoos Touchpools with sharks and rays, for which the people had to pay an extra fee, of course...

5. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Well, I guess if they can exhibit wallabies, they can exhibit arctic foxes as well. I need to visit again sometime soon. It's been a couple of years since my last visit. I can't understand why I've only been there a total of 3 times, since I live close enough, and always enjoy my visits there.

6. Tarsius

If I would live in the area of the Aquarium of the Pacific, I would visit it regulary, I've been there twice and I enjoyed both of my trips to this magnifcent aquarium.

Unfortunately, there is no public aquarium in the city I live, but the zoo has a really good and big aquarium, not with that big tanks as they can be seen in the new and modern Super Aquariums, but with an excellent collection of fishes, invertbrates and reptiles.

7. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

The Arctic Foxes were acquired to go with their new Arctic and Antarctic exhbit. They borrowed an adult male for the grand opening of the exhibit but the two kits are theirs.

The reasoning behind mammals at most aquariums is for their special animal presentations. It's hard to have sea life in a meet and greet setting. The Aquarium of the Pacific has several other small mammals for their special presentations.

I went to see the kits yesterday and they are sure cute. They are in quarantine in the care center, but they take them out of their playpen several times a day for feeding and play time.

8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California (the major aquarium in the Los Angeles area) is about to open a new Magellanic penguin exhibit. These will be the first penguins in the LA area since the LA Zoo closed their penguin exhibit in the 1990s.

Penguin love in Long Beach - latimes.com

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I personally think that this excellent aquarium is one of the 10 best in North America, and so opening a penguin exhibit is a step towards further excellence. Does anyone know the exact location of the new habitat?

10. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

12. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, the major aquarium in the Los Angeles region, is adding a new wing scheduled to open in 2018.

The wing will mostly house a new theater for conservation and science presentations and an art space. The story says that there will be 6000 square feet of animal display space also, although no species or exhibit theme are mentioned.

The aquarium had a bit of a rocky opening in 1998, but soon turned around with the addition of their shark exhibit and the first breeding of weedy sea dragons in captivity. It is now one of the top four visited aquariums in the United States.

Long Beach aquarium plans new wing and 'immersive theater' by 2018 - LA Times

Last edited: 23 Mar 2016
  14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the link and the rendering of the new wing is certainly eye-catching and reminiscent of a blue whale. Aquarium of the Pacific is easily one of the 8 best aquariums in the USA (out of approximately 130 facilities) and this $53 million expansion will solidify its place as a "must-see" attraction for zoo enthusiasts.

15. Arizona Docent

This looks great! The only zoological facility where I recall seeing an established art gallery is my local Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. It is fantastic and is one reason ASDM appeals to a wider demographic than the usual moms with tots that most zoos appeal to. I think this aquarium addition, with a gallery and enhanced theatre, will do much the same. Also nice to see the article mention my Alma Mater, Cal State Long Beach! :)

16. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The aquarium has bred ribboned sea dragon, and juveniles are now on display.

17. jayjds2

18. jayjds2

19. jayjds2

A new exhibit has opened. There are two tanks: one with Atlantic mudskippers, and the other with Indian dwarf mudskippers.

20. Arizona Docent