Join our zoo community

Marineland of New Zealand, Napier (Closed) Aquarium vs Marineland?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Simon Hampel, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member

Can someone from NZ please explain to me the difference between the Napier Marineland and the National Aquarium in Napier ?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

well I haven't been to either personally yet, but the National Aquarium (or colloquially, "the Napier Aquarium") and the Napier Marineland are quite separate facilities, run by different organisations, although they are situated quite near to one another. The Aquarium is an actual public aquarium with fish and reptiles in tanks inside a building, while the Marineland is an outdoor pool facility nowdays used primarily as a rescue centre for injured sealife (birds and mammals) but which in its heyday was a proper marineland with performing dolphins, seals etc. Their respective websites are
    New Zealand National Aquarium - Napier Hawkes Bay
    Marineland of New Zealand, Napier

3. Simon Hampel

I think the thing that confused me was when I was trying to find them both on Google maps ... the Marineland was fairly easy to identify because of the pools, but the maps I had for the Aquarium showed that it was very close to that same spot. I was beginning to worry that they were actually the same place and just had two different websites for some strange reason.

Thanks for the update!

4. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Is the Marineland still keeping sea leopards ? I think,they keep from time to time rescued animals and put them back to the ocaen after a few months.

In the 69ty or 70ty years they made a show with trainend sea leoprads, do anybody has more information about that and the sea leopards at marineland ? And is Taronga Zoo still keeping sea leopards ?

5. Chlidonias

Marineland of New Zealand, Napier - History
    this link has a list of the leopard seals the Marineland has had. They do not have any now. I have seen a photo of a leopard seal leaping to take a fish from a trainer at the Napier Marineland, and it was VERY impressive given the seal's enormous length!

6. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I've uploaded photos of both institutions in the gallery...

7. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Chlidonias,

thanks for the link, but I know this side. From there I have the information with the trained sea leopards.

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

location of the NZ Aquiriam

It is on the Marine Parade , about a kilometre South of Marineland .
    If you have Google Maps its opposite Goat Lane .
    Hope this helps .

9. Simon Hampel

Is it the big white building on the water side of the road, kind of triangular at one end and round at the other ?

10. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Yeah the round part is the original aquarium and the triangle part is the 2002 extension...

11. Simon Hampel

12. Brittany

Brittany New Member

Hey Jeremy,

I am a research assistant for LeopardSeals.org. We are studying Leopard Seals in New Zealand. We would love any photos you may have. Our email address is [email protected]

Cheers,

Brittaany

13. Brittany

Brittany New Member

I cant find the link with the list of leopard seals that were at the Marineland. Do you still have this link.

14. Chlidonias

All the pages which were on the old website are now dead.

But they kept at least five animals:

Female Snowy, June 1976 to December 1981

Female Angie, August 1978 to March 1984

Male Rocky, September 1979 to March 1986

Male Barney, November 1990 to April 1992

Male Casper, August 1984 to February 2001

15. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member

The site can be viewed via Archive.org's Way back machine - Marineland of New Zealand, Napier - History

Chlidonias likes this.
  16. Chlidonias

Thanks.

There are some discrepancies between the timeline on the Marineland site and my list of Leopard Seals above which came from NOAA records, the two obvious ones being that the timeline has Snowy arriving in Oct 1976 instead of June 1976, and potentially my Rocky from Sept 1979 could be their Lucky from Sept 1976 (i.e. Rocky and Lucky being alternative names or a misreading from one end or the other, while the 1976 versus 1979 is an easy error for either side to have made). Having said that, my list came from NOAA records with specific dates of arrival and death, so I'd say is more reliable than a general timeline summary.

However, there are three animals on the timeline which aren't in the NOAA records (Sept 1969, Oct 1969, and July 1971). But there are also two animals in the NOAA records which aren't in the timeline (Angie from Aug 1978 and Barney from Nov 1990).

All up, though, it makes somewhere between six and eight Leopard Seals kept at Marineland.

17. Brittany

Brittany New Member

Thanks so much for this information. If you learn anytthing else please contact me at [email protected]