Join our zoo community

Aquariums in North America

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zebraduiker, 4 Dec 2008.

1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Which are the best Aquariums in North Amercia ? I've visited some of the big Aquariums in the USA, so Monterey, Aquarium of The Pacific, Tenessee Aquarium, Scripps Aquarium, which are very good, but what about Boston,Baltimore,Tampa and Atlanta ? Is the Georgia Aquarium now the best Aquarium, becuas eit has Whale Sharks ?

And why there are just a few Big Aquariums in canada, I know only Vancouver, but I've vever been there.

There are any plans for new big aquariums in north america ?:):):)

2. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

The Georgia Aquarium is extremely impressive and it's great to have US whale sharks but I don't think that just having whale sharks in a 6 million gallon exhibit makes them the best. I would look at the collection (diversity and numbers) and the quality of the exhibits.

I haven't been to all the aquariums you mentioned but out of the ones I have visited my favorite was the Shedd.

3. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

There are always plans for aquariums, especially big ones, in North America...

*Xanadu Aquarium, Meadowlands, NJ
    *Alabama Aquarium
    *Betonville, Arkansas
    *Ripleys' was supposed to build a large aquarium in Ontario
    *Kansas City, Missouri
    *Fresno, California
    *Northern Utah
    *Boise, Idaho
    *Tucson, Arizona

As for best aquariums...
    I would have to say Shedd, Georgia, Monterey Bay, Steinhart, Oregon Coast, Tennessee, Vancouver, and I'm sure I've missed a few.

But for the most part all US aquariums are rather good, there are really only a few that could be considered very poor.

4. drzoomi

drzoomi Well-Known Member

My favorite in North America was Vancouver, no Doubt about it
    in the US - Boston aquarium is realy nice, Baltimore aquarium is a bit old and out of date but nice, seattle aquaruim is very small but nice as well.
    The best one in the US is Monterey bay aquarium is the best one....atlist from what i saw.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are always new aquarium projects being discussed. Very very few are actually funded and built. And these days, well, how soon will someone spend over $100-million on such a project? (Its hardly worthwhile doing it for less).

Funny to see @drzoomi praise Boston while remarking Baltimore seems dated. Baltimore is much newer and has expanded twice since it opened while New England Aquarium has remained static. So it's an interesting observation.

6. Zebraduiker

Shedd is not bad, I was there in 2005, I like especially the newer part downstairs and the Amazon River Exhibit, but I found Monetrey much better. I've seen Steinhardt also, but it was very old and not that good as I has hoped. Has someone seen the new SteinhartAquarium yet ? It should be better now...

Why New York has not yet build a new modern and bigger aquarium ? I think, the present New York Aquarium could be out of time now. I never been there, but I will see it next year. The same with Miami.

7. Zooplantman

The New York Aquarium is slowly getting renovated.
    There have been plans for a new major aquarium in the area for ages, but a site in Manhattan (the main part of New York City where tourists would go) is too expensive and has been repeatedly rejected. Nearby suburbs have simply never been able to get their dreams funded.

Miami is re-doing their Museum of Science to include a modest aquarium. That's a few years away, but at least design has begun.

8. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I'd put the New York Aquarium high, high, high on this list.

Shedd is easily my favorite.

9. tigertiger

Any idea what they're renovating? As it stands now...the aquarium is just...subpar completely. Even years ago with the Belguas, it was still hard to muster the effort to get out there and the money too.

To the best of my knowledge all that's there are walruses, fur seals, sea otters, penguins, sharks, octopus, seahorses, sting rays and that's really it.

10. Zooplantman

11. tigertiger

12. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Although NY Aquarium is overall outdated their Sea Cliffs Exhibit is fantastic. Any aquarium should be proud to have this exhibit. The outdoor part has a Pacific Northwest feel to it with evergreen trees and lots of naturalistic rockwork. The outdoor exhibit collection includes Pacific walruses (including a youngster born at the Aquarium about a year and a half ago), N. Fur Seals, S. Sea Otters, Magellanic penguin and a sturgeon species. There is also an indoor part to Sea Cliffs that has underwater viewing of all the species mentioned before plus a giant octopus exhibit, a seahorse exhibit that included four species of seahorse, cowfish, pipefish and more. The education and information signs and posters are also very good.

13. Zooplantman

And SeaCliffs is about fifteen years old

14. tigertiger

What was there prior?

We're touching upon the depth of my memory but I can't ever remember the Sea Cliffs not being there....

15. Zebraduiker

What happend to the Belugas of the N.Y Aquarium and how many species do they keep ?

16. tigertiger

There are none left there. The ones that were there got transferred to Georgia, I believe.

I liked those guys.

17. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

NY Aquariums belugas did get transferred to Georgia Aquarium where I believe one has passed away. They had N. Fur Seals in the old beluga exhibit when I was there last.

18. tigertiger

They must have been transferred [the two remaining females] after that as ISIS only shows female belugas at Seaworld Texas, Shedd and Vancouver.

Does anyone know of this?

19. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

It's a shame that they died. I visited in 2004 and grew really quite fond of them, they seemed very playful and i watched for almost an hour (i was waiting for the sea-lion show).

20. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

???????

Two of New York's Belugas are alive and well at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, GA.