Join our zoo community

Aquatica (Fl)

Discussion in 'United States' started by jwer, 25 Feb 2008.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Across the road from Sea World Florida they are constructing a new water theme-park called Aquatica. Not very fancy for a zoo-lover, bare for the fact they are going to keep Commerson's Dolphins in a glide-through (water glide) exhibit.

Since Sea World is the only facility i know in the world to keep this species (in their "Journey to Atlantis" exhibit at San Diego) i would guess they are going to split up this group? Does anyone know anything about these animals. When where they captured, how is the breeding going and are they still kept as a single group, or is there a seperate group behind the scenes.

Are they going to ship a male-group over or a breeding group? Anyone know anything about them?

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I dont think i can really answer any of your questions, but I do know that all of them were originally kept at the Sea World Ohio park and were transferred to San Diego when Anheuser-Busch sold the park to Six Flags. I hope they plan to expand the captive population, they are cool little cetaceans.

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Yes okapikpr, I've seen them. They were my second favourite thing at seaworld (LOVE MANATEES!)

I also think that the population needs to be expanded, but I'd prefer it to come from animals already in zoos to those from the wild.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen Yogi (the Commerson) in Duisburg just before he got transferred to San Diego together with Ferdinand (the Beluga). Both really made an impression on me, they both are (in the case of Yogi, were) really great animals!

I might ask people on the whale-web forum if i cba'd to register there, but i expect some information to pop up in there soon anyway...

Expanding from a captive population would be great, but i don't know if the genetic material is enough allready to sustain it...