Join our zoo community

ARAZPA

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 24 Mar 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

ARAZPA has a new web-site, check it out guys. the artiodactyl tag still nominates the importation of Philipine Spotted Deer as a regional priority? maybe this is a typo...

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes the new site does look good, surely they are not going to import more deer when we really need some new bloodlines for our Bongos and other hoof stock we alreadly have here.??.

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

god who knows. i thought it was interesting the intensive level of management that has been allocated to species like palm squirrels with a high reproduction rate.
    actually, these squirrels represent a good display candidate with the res tof the miscellaneous animals TAG in virtual collapse...

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

the new site is great, a big improvement - its got some nice artwork in the factsheet section....;)

5. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Yep, it's a vast improvement on the old site. Patrick, I thought I recognised the style in the sketches! ;)

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

oi pat, went to send u a private message mate about congrats on the nice art, and ya message boz if full, so u carnt recive any more messages, just a note to say empty it so we can send ya private messages lol

btw nice artwork lol

7. Zoo_Boy

AdelaideNow... High praise for our city's zoos

on arazpa, the accrediatation (similar to that of aza- american zoological association), has started in south australia with nboth monarto and adelaide reciving full - accreditation

over the next 5 years, it is hoped all zoos will achive acceditation

8. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Hmmm, sorry to put a damper on the enthusaism, but the wording is a bit misleading in the article. Only Adelaide Zoo was accredited, and not Monarto (Monarto hasn't had an accreditation visit yet).

There was a second zoo accredited recently - Symbio Wildlife Park in Stanwell Tops, NSW.

9. Zoo_Boy

thnx zoopro, so do you knwo anthing about this pocedure of acreditation, and whats zoos will be done soon

10. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

There's a good summary of the accreditation procedure here:

ARAZPA - Accreditation

It looks like all ARAZPA institutions will go through the accreditation process within the next five years, and be re-accreditated every five years after that. From what I've heard, somezoo are requesting to be accredited sooner rather than later, and some zoos want to wait for a little while ;)

11. Faraji

Faraji Active Member

Symbio were actually the first to be accredited.

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Is this the first time that ARAZPA has begun accreditation on zoos? The AZA in North America has approximately 216 members and has been accrediting zoos and aquariums for at least a couple of decades, and there is the standard 5 year "stamp of approval". So my question is this: who has been monitoring zoological collections in the Australiasia region? No one?

13. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Sorry to correct you Faraji, but Symbio was the second institution to be accredited - Adelaide Zoo was the first.

14. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Numbats at more zoos, especially here in NZ..! IMO, much better than Emus and Lorikeets...

If I've learnt one thing in my time here is that if ZooPro says it, its right...

15. Faraji

Faraji Active Member

Not meaning to be picky, but since I have been corrected, I was just wondering how you know this. (I'm trying not to sound nasty, just curious as I was directly involved).

16. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hamilton Zoo has been accredited now, the first in NZ

17. Faraji

Faraji Active Member

Sorry. Brain melt...What I meant was that Symbio was the first be inspected in the new accreditation process. Only a few days before Adelaide. My bad.:p