Join our zoo community

Are black bears the most common bears in zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Davdhole, 5 Jul 2020.

1. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've recently come to wondering about this. Whether it be zoos I've been to (besides my city zoo) or zoos who've species list I've gone through online seem to always have black bears, whether they feature one bear species or more. I'll be honest, I'm kind of salty about this because as of now, I can't choose to go to many zoos, so I haven't seen some of my favorites like brown, polar, and the unique Andean. I'm used to seeing black bears, so I'd like a change (thankfully my city zoo features sun bears and pandas, and even then, I'm slowly growing used to seeing those species). So my question is, why are black bears so common in US zoos and seem to always have to be in the spot of another bear, or featured in a zoo with other bears already?

Last edited: 5 Jul 2020
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You'll have to specify whether you mean in the US alone, or overall :p

Certainly in Europe neither black bear species is particularly common.

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course in the US they are quite common, but in Europe they are much less widespread. In Europe the Brown bear is most common by far, with around 360 collections holding them.

There are some self-explanatory reasons why black bears are most common in the US though. They are the least picky eaters of all the bears, they are quite small, found all over the US and therefore quite versatile and adaptable. This means they are easy to keep.
    In contrast, Andean/Spectacled bears are quite picky eaters, are suited to a humid, tropical climate, and aren't very versatile.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the US American Black Bears are very common, they are probably the most common bear (except for maybe Brown). Asian Black Bears are extremely rare in the US.

5. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

sorry but when you live in Rhode Island you get used to seeing Asiatic black bears at RWPZ. Had no idea how rare they were.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As others have said, if we are referring to USA then yes, the American black bear is the most common species in zoos. This of course makes sense as there is an endless supply of orphaned and/or "problem" bears that need homes.

7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In AZA zoos, brown bears are portably the most common. However, if you include lesser known, hole in the wall facilities, as well as sanctuaries and rescue centers, than perhaps black bears are the most common.
    Besides the black and white blob bears, asian black bears are probably the hardest bear species to find in North America. I can probably count on one hand the number of places that still have them.

8. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Alaska’s Zoos (all two and 2/3rd’s of them), Brown Bears outnumber all other bears exhibited.

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.
  9. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

They are very commen in US Zoos (not so much in european ones) Because they are native, the most easy to keep bear species and not under special protection. so that even smaler zoo can get them easy.

10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Why Black bears are easier to keep than Brown bears ? Food ? Handling ? Exhibit size and structure, temperature ?

11. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

In Germany they have allways syrian or European Brown Bears in These Zoos. I have never Seen an American black Bear...

12. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Europe they are almost as rare as spectlacled bears. According to ZTL in 28 collections of which one third in France. I seen them only two times, much less often than giant pandas.

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The following bear species are present in only one UK zoo each: American Black Bear (group), Giant Panda (non-breeding pair) and Sloth Bear (one animal).

14. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah. Hell, do many (accredited) US zoos even breed black bears, or do the large numbers of rescues make it unnecessary?

15. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t know of any accredited zoo that breeds black or brown bears. Even polar bears are restricted from breeding if they are rescues.

16. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Well they are smaller (less space, less food) and they are less aggresive

17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

American black bears far outnumber the other species. A little over 200 public holders of the species, vs 20 asiatic black, and 110 or so brown (all ssp). ~22 polar, 19 andean, 17 sloth, 15 sun.

No. The only ones breeding them are the most awful of places, ones that do cub petting for $$ and that sort of thing.

18. TinoPup

In AZA it is a little closer - 38 with brown vs 48 with black.

evilmonkey239 and pachyderm pro like this.
  19. TinoPup

Jungle Man likes this.
  20. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Well, whether black bears are really so much smaller than European brown bears? And that black bears should be less aggressive than brown bears can only be said when you have tested them. Take a female brown bear with cubs and a female black bear with cubs, and then walk towards them. The bear that attacks first is the more aggressive. Therefore, the bars for this bear type must be stronger.

Strange, but I saw a lot of black bears in the USA, but the enclosures of which didn't differ at all from the enclosures for brown bears - they were also the same size.

However, the enclosures for African elephants were significantly larger than those for Asian elephants, because they are larger, more aggressive and, above all, need a lot more food than Asian elephants.;)

Serioulsly-it is not factual what you are writing ...there is no difference in the welfare of Black and Brown bears.;)