Join our zoo community

Are EAZAs studbooks available on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Dan, 14 Sep 2008.

1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I googled a bit but couldn´t find what I was looking for. But I bet that somone here on the forum can answer my question:

Are the studbooks of EAZA available on the Internet?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be. I have searched at various times but with very little success. European White Rhinos are listed, also Asian Elephants- but these are not 'official' EAZA studbooks. I did come across one for Lion tailed Macaques once though.

ISIS have details of all the individual animals held at various collections but you have to be a professional member to enter this part of the site.

3. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Hippos ZOO Ostrava - ochrana pøírody

I would suggest to find out which zoo is responsible for ESB of the specie and then search through its website, especially in conservation or animal breding sections. Sometimes it works.

4. safariman

safariman Well-Known Member

Mmmz, I would say fortunately not. And good also that you need a log-in for ISIS. Zoos are, of course, not happy if these information was public. Especially for people on forums like this... just to avoid speculation from people that are not professionals.

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Most zoo report there stock list annually (not sure if they have to do this) and therefore most people can pick up on this and ask the zoo question they may not want to answer.

Therefore I dont see I problem with members of the public accessing the information.

6. safariman

What a specific zoo makes public is up to the zoos of course, but EAZA studbooks are made by and for curators. Personally I think that's the way it should stay. Just to prevent 'why don't they'-speculations. I only occasionally send studbooks to people that I really trust on their confidentiality and those are rare!

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Just because the studbook is not general knowledge doesn't mean people (esp. on this forum) wont speculate about the breeding of these animals in captivity.

I don't see why theres such a big thing over studbooks, there is enough zoo "nuts" out there to pool information together to get a good picture of what is going on in the breeding programs.

Just look at this site, there is some knowledgeable people on here.

8. Pertinax

Why should zoos want to keep this information private- what is there to hide?
    Studbooks contain long lists of animals which are really only of interest to zoo professionals and others with a specific interest in zoos. The information they contain is unlikely to create speculation, more likely prevent it. Anti-zoo people would have a hard time deciphering this information or making adverse use of it.
    Any studbook I've really wanted to access I've been able to without too much problem.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  9. safariman

I know.. speculation is a big hobby of zoo-fanatics who don't know what's going on in a zoo but think they know. But let's see it in a different way: or better, ask a question: What is the value of making EAZA studbooks available for everybody? In my opinion nothing, because most people here are not curators and can do really nothing with it. Or do I miss something?

(Not making a lot of friends here I guess :p)

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Exactly, there is not much to hide.

11. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I'll admit we will never be 100% certain on what goes on, but some of us are close to or know people in the industry and there hear quite a bit on the ins and outs of zoos.

If us un-informed zoo-fanatics don't understand it because were not curators and you feel there is nothing to gain or lose, then whats the big fuss about making them public?

12. Pertinax

I like to look at a studbook because I'm interested in tracing particular animals or their zoo histories. I don't want to 'do' anything with the information. I just find it interesting. What is the problem with that?

13. safariman

There is nothing to hide... but also nothing interesting for publishing. What value could it have for you? Just boring data and genetics that we use.

I'm not making any fuzz about it, I do that on my guitar.:D

Do you also ask your supermarket or shopping mall why and with who they do business..? guess not. As 'an industry' I think we are transparent enough.

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

To study it, it may just seem like your job to you, but we enjoy digesting the information contained in them, that's why were Zoo-fanatics! :D

I may not but am sure there probably is such people who are just as fascinated by such information.

15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best example I know of is the General Studbook of the Przewalski Horse General Studbook Of The Przewalski Horse - which I'm sure many of you know. It's been available for years, without any apparent inconvenience to ISIS or the relevant curators.

Alan

16. Pertinax

I'm sorry but I don't find studbook data boring. I've spent many years tracking the developments of certain species & individuals kept in zoos. I happen to find that interesting, not boring -but then we're all different.:)

17. Pertinax

Exactly. Its not a blanket refusal to publish them- some are accessible so I can't see a problem with more being made so. I guess its just individual decision making based on the preparedness to share.

I'm surprised to hear a zoo worker refer to studbooks as 'boring data' though as I find them fascinating but then its not my everyday job.:(.

18. safariman

Of course... maybe nice, but of no use by the general public. Or any person here, nobody has these horses.. I hope.:D

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

You don't get it do you?? We don't want to use the information as we have no use, but find in interesting to read. Does everything have to have a use to you? If so I hope you got ride of your appendix years ago :rolleyes:

There is a few zoo owners on these boards & private breeders, so I wouldn't be to sure about that.

20. safariman

Mmm, sometimes I do a lot of funn-stuff, few times a week. So keep searching for studbooks I should say, and have fun with it. Though I don't get it.