Join our zoo community

Are nature centers considered zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by cloudedleopard, 22 Dec 2014.

1. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

I categorize how many zoos I have visited. I would like to include nature centers, but are they considered zoos?

2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Technically I don't think you can consider a nature reserve to be a zoo as in zoological garden, but if it includes animals then yes it can be considered to be a zoological collection, I would say it is up then to the individual to include a nature reserve in their list of zoos visited or not.

3. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Yes, I am including the nature centers I visited as "establishments holding animals".

4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I would consider nature centres and nature reserves to be entirely different things.

A nature centre, to me anyway, is a collection of species that are 'looked after' by people e.g fed on a regular basis, have their health monitored by vetinary staff, bred with consideration of genetics, the animals have a fixed abode (enclosure).

I would consider a nature reserve to be an area of land that, although managed by people, doesn't have people caring for the animals directly through feeding and veterinary care and the animals are free to migrate as they please

With my own descriptions I would say a nature centre can be considered as a zoo while a nature reserve most definitely cannot