Join our zoo community

Are there any animals NOT found in ANY zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by nanoboy, 8 Aug 2011.

1. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are not thinking about race szechuanensis of normal blue sheep that Tallinn and a few other zoos have? If you really meant dwarf blue sheep, P. schaeferi I would like to know more about it. When I visited some years back they didn't have P. schaeferi and google doesn't give anything of value for search "Tallinn" + "Pseudois schaeferi".

ungulate nerd: When you say 'not in zoos' I guess you mean 'not in European, Canadian or US zoos'. Philippine mouse deer at Wroclaw in Poland, Central American red brocket at a few US zoos and Bukhara urial at Nordens Ark in Sweden, Riga Zoo in Latvia and a few other places. If including places outside Europe, Canada and USA there are many of the Asian species you list (Indian and Mongolian wild ass, Javan and Philippine warty pig, Tibetan gazelle, Himalayan and Chinese serow, Fea's muntjac, Manchurian wapiti, Indian spotted chevrotain, several of the musk deer, etc) kept locally in Asian facilities, southern reedbuck at several South African facilities, Amazon manatee at a few South American facilities, Yucatan brocket at Mexican facilities, little red brocket at Colombian facilities and Amazonian red brocket at several South American facilities. If you use ISIS for species that have been split just don't trust that the the taxonomy is updated: I saw photos of 'grey brocket' said to be from Puebla Zoo and unsurprisingly they looked like Yucatan. It's even worse for babirusas and serows: There are only Sulawesi babirusa in zoos (no Buru babirusas). The four ISIS "Sumatran serows" at Assam Zoo are actually either real red serows or the 'mystery red serow' that perhaps is a new species or variant of Himalayan (Nainital Zoo isn't on ISIS but they have normal Himalayan serow). Pygmy hog, Chilean huemul and Corsican red deer are kept at breeding facilities, not zoos.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ungulate nerd listed Yellow-striped chevrotain as a species not in zoos.
    The ones listed on ISIS for Singapore as "Indian spotted chevrotain" are in fact Yellow-striped Chevrotains (Moschiola kathygre). The taxonomy used by ISIS is often out-dated.

3. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

Condor is right, various of the species mentioned by u. nerd are in local zoos, and even a quick search on zoochat´s photo gallery will show this. Devilfish took photos of amazon manatees in an animal collection in Manuas, Brazil and i took pictures of brocket deer in 3 different mexican zoos. Africam Safari in Puebla sent brocket deer born there to a U.S. zoo, Phoenix, i think it was.

4. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have any species of loons/divers or swifts ever been kept at zoos? I see swifts would be hard because of their need of flying around constantly, but since grebes somewhat succesfully have been kept in a few zoos (though I don't know if they have bred), one would think loons could also be kept, even though they would probably require a much bigger and larger pool.

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hallo Hvedekorn. I checked with Isis and Zootierliste and loons and swifts have been kept in zoos. Zootierliste says that the black-throated diver/Arctic loon, common loon and red-throated diver/loon were kept in various European zoos. Isis says that Zoo Sauvage de St-Félicien in Quebec has a common loon. Isis also says that Pretoria Zoo has a house swift, while Nurnberg has a common swift. I must admit that I haven't seen loons or swifts in zoos, but I have seen them in the wild.

6. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Are there any Norwegian Blue Parrots exhibited in any zoo?

7. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably not, since they would just nuzzle up to the bars, bend them apart with their little pecker, VOOM!!

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This was a Monty Python joke, based on the fact that parrots tend to live in the tropics and Norway would be too cold for them, hence 'Norwegian Blue'.

Several years ago, a zoo volunteer meeting discussed how to improve London Zoo. One volunteer suggested bringing back the Lirpa Loof, a large animal with purple fur that had been exhibited in the Sobell Pavillions. "It was very active and moved up to visitors, who really enjoyed seeing it." Someone pointed out that the 'Lirpa Loof' was a person in a skin as part of a 'That's Life' joke for April Fool's Day. The volunteer has since left.

9. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Oh it's not real? :p

Yeah, I thought that I would cut through the overheated nitpicking with some humour. :D

10. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thought this was relevant to this chain, though not recent posts. I had the good fortune to sit in on a talk recently by a conservationist currently working with the Ethiopian wolf population in the Bale mountains.

Current population estimate is 400. Approx 200 in Bale, 50-75 in Simien, and then smaller packs scattered about. Of course, 0 being held captive in breeding programs.

I asked why, with all the pressures facing the population (habitat loss, rabies, hybridization, inbreeding, etc) there are no captive breeding programs in place. It seems this type of program would only be possible if within a zoo located inside Ethiopia, for which there are no plans. I came away with the impression that the Ethiopian government has no intention of allowing wolves (or even wolf DNA, if they can help it) out of the country. I'm no expert, but sure seems like a species that would benefit immensely by a captive breeding program - sadly, it seems it is very unlikely Ethiopian wolves will appear in any zoo, any time soon.

11. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

do any zoos still have dibatag or beira antelope ?, i know the naples zoo in italy had both back in the 1960s
    anybody still have them ?

12. Dibatag

Dibatag Well-Known Member

Al Wabra has a breeding group of Beira. I know that they were doing field studies of dibatag and I think I read somewhere that they were looking into creating a captive population, but as of yet nothing has materialized.

13. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

So, uh... any word on Mongolian gazelles, guys?

ISIS doesn't have them listed under common name nor under their scientific name...

14. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Are there any Calabar Angwantibo's in captivity at the moment? (or really just any Angwantibo;))

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Actually , muriquis of both the Southern and Northern subspecies are kept in zoos (Sorocaba zoo, Sao Paulo zoo , Curitiba zoo, Belo Horizonte zoo) and at least with the Southern subspecies have bred several times. None are kept outside of Brazil though.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2019
  16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

It is the Southern Muriqui (Brachyteles arachnoides) that is kept at two of the zoos (though they are also kept at one other zoo open to the public and a private captive breeding centre) you have mentioned which is within the current (São Paulo state) and a part of the former / historic distribution of the subspecies (Paraná state).

If I remember correctly it is a pair of the Northern subspecies (Brachyteles hypoxanthus) that is kept at Belo Horizonte municipal zoo which is capital of one of the states where the species still occurs in the wild (Minas Gerais state).

17. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't know if this has been mentioned already but has a hoatzin been in captivity at all before or a pink fairy armadillo?

18. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes the ZSL Annual Report for 1955 records that London Zoo received two hoatzins that year. Incidentally, these hoatzins were acquired by the David Attenborough Zoo Quest Expedition. (London Zoo's first hoatzin arrived in 1931.)

And I saw hoatzins in New York (Bronx) Zoo in 1990.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2019
    Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  19. Luke da Zoo nerd

Any word on angwantibo's?

20. Luke da Zoo nerd

Hoatizan's were previously kept at the bronx zoo. (It's been a while) Pink fairy armadillos I am not sure of. It would be cool to see them though!;)