Join our zoo community

Are these elephants are african forest elephants?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dt644, 30 Jan 2021.

1. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

캡처_2021_01_30_12_42_15_604.png

캡처_2021_01_30_12_42_28_350.png

These pictures were I captured from video of Korean News in the 1990s, and the elephants in the picture were elephants that were at the Seoul Zoo. The full video can be seen here.

There were five african elephants at the Seoul Zoo, but now they are all dead. In 2004, the last male named 'Rika' died at the Seoul Zoo, since then till now, there are no more african elephants in Korea.

However, a few years ago, a man who repeatedly lied to me and other Korean zoo manias was posted photos that same ones above on his blog and said, "These are the pictures I took." and also he described this elephants as "african forest elephants at the Seoul Zoo." (He was also a member of the zoochat, but I won't reveal his nickname.)

GetImage.jpg

A photo posted in the elephant page of the encyclopedia of korean culture.
    Judging from the shape of the ivory and ears, it is likely to be the same elephant as the elephant in the two pictures above.​

캡처_2021_01_30_12_53_11_571.png

Another elephant in the same video.
    The ears are smaller than the elephants in the two pictures above.​

He's an inexcusable swindler, but this elephant has seemed something different points as african bush elephants. Therefore, I would like to seek help from zoochatters. Does the elephant in this picture look like african forest elephant?

Last edited: 30 Jan 2021
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The big one in the laat picture looks like a regular Bush Elephant. The others look clearly like Forest Elephants though.

3. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I made a mistake. When I checked the video again, the elephant in the last picture is the same elephant as the two pictures above.

캡처_2021_01_30_17_32_26_439.png

Images captured from a earlier time than above picture.​

As a proof, the hole in the left ear is the same. The reason why the ears look small seems to be simply due to the difference in angle. I'm sorry again for posting the wrong explanation. But thank you for your opinion.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I somehow missed that second picture, which also doesn't look like completely a Forest Elephant. The smaller ones definitely do with the shape of their forehead and ears.