Join our zoo community

Are These in Captivity?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 5 Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tennessee is probably the best I've seen thus far for seeing a lot of US freshwater fishes, though as noted their collection is largely of Tennessee natives.

~Thylo

Last edited: 22 Jun 2020
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tennessee has lots of cool endemic fish though.

Shedd Aquarium and National Mississippi River Aquarium both have large native fish collections as well.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Our native freshwater fish certainly don't tend to get much love for the most part when it comes to zoos and aquariums. Except for maybe sturgeon and paddlefish. I can't think of anywhere I've been that had a decent collection of native freshwater fish. Only species I've seen repeatedly are white sturgeon and rainbow trout.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I don’t see darters, shiners, log perches, etc. in the aquarium trade much, either, not in America or exported to Asia. Are there laws against collecting and selling some American native fish?

5. Great Argus

Yes, there are. Also there is not much interest in private keeping most of our native species anyway other than Jordanella floridae, Elassoma sp, and some of the more colorful sunfish species.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen Brook Trout a good few times as well, and some native catfish pop up often but for the most part American fish get ignored. Even Europe handles our pupfish better...

I don't think I've ever seen Elassoma in an aquarium tbh.

~Thylo

Great Argus likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

Wisconsin and the states surrounding it (Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, and Illinois) all have a large fishing culture - so therefore most aquariums and many zoos in the area have at least a small native fish collection.

8. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Very true. Fishing is a popular pastime here

9. Great Argus

I have seen them offered sporadically in the private trade but never in a public aquarium.

10. birdsandbats

I think the main reason native freshwater fish are not found in the private trade is because it is usually a simple matter to go and catch one yourself.

11. RatioTile

Yeah, but if you live in Europe or Asia you can't get them then. At similar latitudes such temperate fish could be popular as pond or tank displays.

12. Great Argus

Isn't catch and take illegal without a permit though?

13. birdsandbats

A basic fishing licence is all you need in most states, usually costing around $20 per year. I can and have caught and kept species such as Rock Bass, Bluegill, and Yellow Perch.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2020
    Jungle Man and Great Argus like this.
  14. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Belle Isle Aquarium apparently has all 7 species of gar on display (the only known aquarium to display all in North America) according to their website (and having seen them myself awhile back). Some juveniles could potentially pop up in the pet trade here and there as well (which I wouldn't recommend as pets at all for a typical person), but don't count on me 100%

birdsandbats and RatioTile like this.
  15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As RatioFile already pointed out, obtaining local wildlife without a permit could be considered poaching and is thus prohibited in several European countries.
    Some European fish species are commercially available to be kept in ponds.
    The main issue with native European fish species is that unlike tropical fish species, most of them do not cope well with the temperature control in private aquaria (i.e. too warm). And some are a bit more tricky to keep in prime condition - like the pretty grayling.

TZDugong, Jungle Man, ZooBinh and 3 others like this.
  16. RatioTile

Are there vervet monkeys in zoos? I've seen malbrouck, grivet, and green monkeys (some were mislabeled and an expert helped me ID them), but not the proper Chlorocebus pygerythrus.

17. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

18. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

The main reason native US freshwater fish are so uncommon in collections, I think, is that the vast majority are small and dull at first glance. When I was a kid my uncles went out and collected some darters from a stream in Alabama for photos with a permit; they're pretty fish, but you only see the patterns up close, and when an aquarium is faced with choosing between brightly colored fish that attract visitors and some dull stream fish, I think it's obvious which one they'll go with.

Great Argus likes this.
  19. Great Argus

I agree with this, also we do not have many threatened species that are widespread or notable. Additionally in many cases I think exotic is one of the biggest factors in public attention and in general; our native species are much more commonly kept privately in Europe than private hands here. Indeed I almost never see anything native to North America when I visit aquarium stores, even in the large ones.
    The one exception to the exotic factor is large, unusual fish. Sturgeon, paddlefish, and Alligator Gar definitely hold a good spot in many aquariums. The rainbow and brook trout also seem to be pretty common, however they are readily available from hatcheries, eat about anything, get along with each other, and are fairly colorful. The combo of convient traits seems to get them first pick of fish for a North American complex if there is space allotted for a pond.

Crotalus likes this.
  20. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

The exception to the US freshwater fish rule, of course, being Bass Pro Shops. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.