Join our zoo community

Are these places good?

Discussion in 'United States' started by AlmightyKingPrawn, 5 Jul 2020.

1. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

African Safari Wildlife Park in Port Clinton, Ohio, African Lion Safari in Cambridge, Ontario, and Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan. 3 safari parks within driving distance from my house that I have animal welfare questions for before I go. African Safari Wildlife Park seems good from reviews and is AZA, but has some scathing reviews on Zoochat. African Lion Safari seems to offer elephant rides which makes me, reviewers, and animal welfare activists sad, but appears to be beloved on Zoochat. Finally BRWAP seems good from the website and reviews but with one little hiccup: its ZAA, not AZA. Are these parks good? Does African Lion Safari "crush" it's elephants? Why is a facility as big and full of endangered animals as BRWAP not AZA? Answers would be appreciated. Also feel free to move somewhere else if you don't like the fact I'm discussing a Canadian zoo in the US forums.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Elephant rides, in many cases, offer enrichment for the elephant more so than harming it.

AlmightyKingPrawn likes this.
  3. AlmightyKingPrawn

So like a horse? Good. Hopefully the training isn't cruel, (I doubt it) I'm not against the concept of riding elephants, just the training.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pretty much exactly like a horse.

5. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, the elephants we've domesticated, and not just tamed, akin to horses and dogs. ;)

6. AlmightyKingPrawn

So African Lion Safari is good, any views on African Safari Wildlife Park and BRWAP yet?