Join our zoo community

Are we the stewards of the natural world?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by bigcatfan, 4 Sep 2010.

Tags:
  1. bigcatfan

bigcatfan Member

First let me say, I am one of those people that takes the card and glass
    and carries scary looking spiders outside instead of killing them, so you see where I fit in. (I don't mind if the sneak back in, just don't want to see them again)

However, in my travels I have met individuals that claim that this earth is destined to take care of itself and it's not really our job to monitor or care for it. The care of the planet and its occupants are left to the concern
    of a higher power.

What do you think?

Chuck
    Big Cat Information and Pictures of Panthers, Lions, Tigers, and many others

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I beleive that we are put here to use, but not abuse the Earth. We were put here by a higher power to harvest and use the plants and animals of the Earth, butwe should not jut completely destroy our natural planet. God will not be here to correct all of our mistakes and we will have to live with what we chose to do. So yes, I beleive we are stewards of the natural world.

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes we are , but being stewards is much more than releasing the odd creature, as individual animals are irrelivent to the survival of species. The most imprtant thing is the protection of habitat and removal an exotic preditors, and compeditors. In Australia our governments have gone all out creating national parks and reserves, but are unable to effectivly manage them or even contol introduced pest species. We now have millions of hectares of protected habitat full of introduce species decimating our native animals which are moving towards extinction.
    Here is an example of what is happening here.
    Feral cats wiping out endangered bush species - The West Australian
    I spend a lot of time shooting cats and foxes, as here that is one of the best things we can do for our native animals. Unfortunatly national parks here are a haven for these pests as we are not allowed to shoot anything there, giving pests protection while the government does not have the funds to do the control themselfs. Most of our population is to ignorent to see the situation and relise if things dont change soon many of our species are doomed.

4. bigcatfan

bigcatfan Member