Join our zoo community

Are zoos expensive?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ned, 14 Apr 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Wow, I would never have guessed that! I don’t think I have ever tried anything quite so unusual. When I was in China there was all the usual chickens’ feet and so on, but I definitely didn’t fancy that.

I had forgotten all about tshirts. I don’t tend to buy them often, but I have one from each of Queens Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo and Chester Zoo, and heaps from Phnom Tamao which are all Free The Bears Fund Merchandise. Like you say, if it’s a trendy and fashionable design, then for sure I would be interested. I also have heaps of plushes (literally probably more than is normal), but I don’t let that stop me. If it’s a really unique animal to find and I really want it, I have to have it! I brought back a massive Komodo dragon from Bali, it was spilling out of my handbag on my flight!

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ha ha, that sounds really cool!

For souvenir clothing, you know what I'd really like to see more of? Tank tops. I have plenty of T-shirts but more tank tops would be nice. I live in Texas and sleeves are stupid because it's hot and they leave a weird tan line and I sweat them up anyway. Uh, anyway, I'd also be more inclined to buy a souvenir shirt (or any souvenir item) that features a more obscure or unique species. It would be really cool to see more zoos do that, as a way to showcase species other than "standard" zoo animals. And I bet some guests, especially in a tourist-popular zoo, would like having unique souvenir options.

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I used to much prefer tank tops over tshirts, but since I put on weight, sleeves are definitely my friend!

4. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A really important point. I think I've covered elsewhere how I think the locations and fees played a huge role in crafting the distinct images for both of these zoos. I do like to note that Lincoln Park Zoo has an extremely expensive parking fee. Brookfield's parking and admission come out to about the same as Lincoln Park's parking only.

The Shedd Aquarium is another tricky example, as access to the main galleries is dirt cheap and a fantastic value, but adding the special exhibits containing the more popular species quadruples that price - so, simultaneously very cheap and very expensive.

Cost multiples quickly for people who go right to special exhibits, buy food and lots of merchandise, etc. though.

5. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As of some time last year, Shedd changes to having a single, rather pricey admission. And while Lincoln Park’s parking is expensive, there is free or metered street parking in the area, especially if you’re willing to walk a couple of blocks.

JVM likes this.
  6. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Note: "for those that can afford it" !

7. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

As a former zoo owner I have a pretty fair idea of what it all costs to operate, and do sympathize with zoos over their admission charges, however I also understand how hard it is for parents with children. I understand that many other recreations have quite high charges, and their need to make a profit.
    None of this knowledge helps the people without a decent income. I understand that there really is no solution. To operate successfully a zoo must make a charge that allows for at least a small profit, like any other business.
    At my zoo I sometimes allowed free entry, usually to a single parent with children, but could not afford to do this too often. Don't think many zoos could afford to do this any longer.
    My children are now grown up but I remember the last time I took them to Taronga Zoo, in Sydney, This involved a five hour car trip to get to Sydney, a hotel room for the night, meals etc., then the entry fee and the drive back home again. Quite an expensive day out, but I still think it was worth the cost for the the experience the boys gained that day. Of course at that time I could afford it!

JVM likes this.
  8. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I know this is not the main point of this post - but if that's how your theme park days are going you are definitely doing it wrong!! Alton Towers is the Chester of the UK theme parks as well - it is easily the best and the price reflects that.

On the subject of zoos being expensive - as you've pointed out it is all relative. I love going to the zoo - I am happy to spend my hard earned cash on it. I love eating out at fancy restaurants, riding roller coasters and going to the theatre too. Are they all overpriced? Probably... but I enjoy them enough to pay the price. Football games on the other hand - not a chance in hell!!!

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Queuing aside, surely the rides at Thorpe Park are on a different level to Alton Towers? I know AT is more attractive but for adrenaline? It's got to be TP.

10. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

The Swarm at TP is my favourite in the country - but on coasters there is not much to chose between them imo:

TP: The Swarm / Colossus / Saw / Nemesis Inferno / The Walking Dead / Stealth / Flying Fish

AT: Nemesis / Air (Galactica) / Rita / Thirteen / Oblivion / The Smiler / Spinball Whizzer / Wicker Man / Mine Train / Octonauts

Saw is subsiding and hurts like hell these days - and Colossus needs a tune up too. The Walking Dead is just 'X No Way Out' rethemed and that was never a great ride. The Swarm and Stealth are excellent but Alton Towers has more solid coasters than Thorpe Park and more variety.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2018
    Ned likes this.
  11. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A nice summary, for some reason I find TP's rides more thrilling in general but not keen on the crowded paved environment though. Haven't been to AT since wicker man opened.

12. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went on a zoo trip with a buddy a few years ago and he glanced at everything for about a second each and seemed ready to move on. He wasn't especially interested in stopping to watch individual animals or activities, and in retrospect, probably agreed to visit socially rather than out of interest in the zoo. He seemed to be enjoying himself but we clearly were getting a different value out of the trip. I will gladly pay a year's membership (as I can) for the kind of zoo trip I enjoy, but I wouldn't want to pay $25 in theory for the kind of trip he was on.

Of course, zoos have to pay people a pretty penny because of the extremely high operating costs of such a venture, we all understand that but it's surely a shame that there isn't any kind of institutional support that can allow these facilities more affordable for the public without forcing corners to be cut. It's a fantasy, but it sure would be nice, wouldn't it?