Join our zoo community

Ark Wildlife Park Ark Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 6 Oct 2016.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new collection is due to open in Stickney, Lincolnshire this weekend. Ark, Boston Wildlife Park is set on a former farm and currently houses 80 species including various reptiles, a (currently small) crocodile, Meerkats, a Lynx and some domestic farm species. Longer term plans include a Cheetah exhibit

Sneak peek inside Lincolnshire's newest wildlife park | Lincolnshire Echo

2. Michelle Mintram

Michelle Mintram New Member

We are now open guys and would love to have you along. We are home to over 180 animals many of whom are rescues. Please see our website for more info. If you have any feedback do let us know. Ark Wildlife Park, West Fen Lane, Stickney, PE22 8BD

Brum, Coelacanth18 and Giant Panda like this.
  3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We visited yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed our visit. It's good to see places like giving rescued animals a better life. They have various reptiles and mammals such as lynx, fox, raccoons, gargoyle geckos, caiman and various others.

The reptile talk was good fun, the owner is a real character and is great with the public.

Our highlights were the long eared hedgehog that made an appearance after everyone else had left the park (persistence really is key) and meeting Yoda the Kinkajou.

We'll definitely go back in the future, especially when they receive the corsac foxes :)

4. migdog

Ark have received 2 female jaguarundi from a private collection.

5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Somehow I seem to have missed this place existing despite it being fairly close by - thanks to all who have posted about it, definitely one to visit in the future! It sounds like they have some nice things already, especially the foxes, raccoon dogs and jaguarundi. I just hope they can make a success of this, as the Lincolnshire coast seems to be getting quite competitive for small zoos/animal sanctuaries!

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It never ceases to amaze me how many zoos are in the UK. Jaguarundis are big plus for cat lovers like me. "From a private collection" - would that be Tim Dalton?

Edit - I just tried the hotlink on the first post and it is nonfunctioning.

7. migdog

I don't believe it was Todd, but I don't know for sure.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This typo amused me. I'm not sure if the idea of James Bond or Rassilon breeding small cats in their back garden amuses me more. ;)

9. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Definitely James Bond. Picture the scene; Blofeld with his white Persian, Bond with a Jaguarundi, aggressively stroking their felines at each other.

TeaLovingDave, Crowthorne and Maguari like this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ooops - I meant Todd Dalton.

Maguari likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Last edited: 9 Sep 2017
  12. DaveW

DaveW Member

We had an enjoyable, if somewhat brief trip a few weeks ago.

We were the only visitors that day (like two of the other three zoos we visited the same weekend) which meant that we could see all animals that the Wildlife Park had.

It also made the reptile meet and greet much more hands on and I got to hold a blue tongued skink which is something I’ve never done before!

The park is quite small but well worth a visit, not only because of the collection but also because of the work the team there are doing to help rescued animals.

migdog likes this.
  13. Sand Cat

There doesn't seem to be a news thread for this new(ish) collection at Boston, Lincolnshire, so I have decided to create one as the park has just announced some interesting new arrivals on Facebook.

The new additions comprise: two Rusty Spotted Genets called Keer & Marvel, a Common Genet called Cadier, a Haussa Genet named Mosi, and an American Red Squirrel named Japie. All are rescued animals and all have come from the Netherlands. They have all been moved in to their respective enclosures, but the park is advising that they are unlikely to venture out much, if at all, at first whilst they are settling in.

Very exciting new arrivals and further proof that this collection is definitely one to watch!

14. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I spent a couple of days in Lincolnshire last November / December time (was around the UAE GP time) and I visited Ark and had a good chat with the gentleman who owns the place. (His wife makes amazing homemade food in the cafe, the cakes were lovely).

They are effectively a rescue centre and all their animals are rescues or former pets. They had a few good reptiles as well, and a Morelets Crocodile in its own small exhibit.

The collection is very small but space is also limited. Trying to find the place is a nightmare as there are no sign posts on any of the main roads and it is pretty much in the back of a housing estate.

There were a lot of domestics there, but also a few cool smaller animals like a Kinkajou, Palm Civet and Jaguarundi's (One with only 3 legs).

The owner was saying last November they were building a larger area to the side of the park as they were in talks about getting a pair of rescue Wolves from somewhere but I don't know if anything had come of that.

It was a small place which took no more than 45/60 minutes to go round, but it's close to Woodside and also the Seal Sanctuary so you could easily pair it with another place and make a day of it.

A wouldn't really say it's a collection to watch though, as it's very small, a bit farmy and no real space to expand and it is mainly domestics and reptiles. All the animals are rescues so it's unlikely they will ever get any bigger attractions and it is certainly not big enough to have any large Zoo type animals.

The Lynx they had there was a pet of the owners who he had, had since she was a kitten and she was very voice responsive to the owner, she looked pretty much tame !

15. littleRedPanda

Scroll down to July 23 post
    "The start of a large new habitat for another rescue project, a massive thank you to Sage roofing for there generous donation towards this project."

and then 26th
    "It won't be long before we can announce our big new arrivals, in the mean time however we're pleased to announce the arrival late next week of a group of yellow mongoose who were looking for a new home."

16. Zooreviewsuk

Were they not alluding the Genets that they announced weeks ago ?

17. Sand Cat

The genets are already on display I think!

18. littleRedPanda

The news about this project was posted after the Genets went on display. The photo looks like a section between the Fox enclosure and the little wallaby house

19. littleRedPanda

there is something else about new inhabitants for the island too (posted Aug 3rd)

"Following months of preparation we are almost ready to announce the arrival of the beautiful new residents who will be coming to live on the island in the middle of the wildlife lake."

20. Zooreviewsuk

I can't remember seeing any lakes there ! Place was barely big enough to have a pond !