Join our zoo community

Artis Royal Zoo Artis News

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Trebaruna, 28 Dec 2008.

1. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

I visited Artis today and saw that a malayan tapir was born yesterday! The indoor enclosure isn´t open for public (it never is) but in the gorillahouse you can see part of the enclosure live on a tv-screen.
    [​IMG]

Mother is Aya, father is Dick. It was born at 11:05 (in the morning). Aya had 1 previous offspring, Tumpat (19 Jan 2007) who now lives at Zooparc Overloon.

2. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

oops! I overlooked the other artis thread. I posted the tapir-news there, so could this thread be deleted? Sorry for the inconvenience

3. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Finally, it seems that Artis will start this year with the renovations. The zoo got 4.5 milion euros from a lotery (Bank-Giro Loterij) for the reopening of the old zoological museum: Groote Museum as it is called but after reopening 'Nieuwe Groote Museum' (New Large Museum). The museum was closed in 1938!

Other projects:
    Expansion of the park with 1.7 hectares (now parking)
    Renovations, and enlargings of some exhibits (i.e. Monkeyhouse, Birdshouse, Predator Gallery)
    Making a 'Knowledge Sqaure', which can also be visit after closing hours of the zoo
    This 'Knowldge Square' will be integrated with the Planetarium and Digital Theater
    Making of the 'MicroZoo' with bacterials made visible for the public.

4. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

5. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member

It looks like they are enlarging the Giraffe exhibit into the African Savannah exhibit, from the website it will be finished in May. I personally think this is a great addition.

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member

Today, Artis Amsterdam announced that their female elephant Thong Thai is pregnant again. Father is Nikolai, who will soon (they mentioned today somewhere) return to Hannover.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Apparently it hasn't been posted by jwer, but there has been a giant anteater birth in artis last week, this is the second time a giant anteater has been born in artis and the netherlands.

8. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any photos or more info on the extension to the savannah, so the giraffes are mixed with the gnu and zebras.

9. john

john Well-Known Member

It seems that Artis is going to start a second gorilla group. Anyone some more information? Where will that animals come from?

10. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

@Bongo, at the moment the zebra's and the giraffes are kept together and that goes well, but both species are a bit afraid of the renewed enclosure... the wildebeasts and the springboks are separated now. Ostrichs will also live in this the enclosure in the future.

11. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, will the wildebeest and antelope be mixed with the giraffe and zebra eventually. Also do you have any pictures of the exhibit.

12. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I too would love to see som pictures! Has a new house been constructed for the giraffes? And exactly which former exhibits have now been included in the new savannah exhibit?

13. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The wildebeasts and springboks will join the giraffes and zebras.

The "old" savanne enclosure of the zebra's and wildebeasts + the path between the zebra's/wildebeasts and the giraffe house are now transformated into the new savannah.

The giraffes still have their indoors in the old giraffe house, the only thinh that has changed is the visitors entrance, which is now located at the "vultureside".

I don't have any photo's myself, but I am sure others will have them.

14. Dylon

Dylon Member

Yes, i've taken pictures of the new Afrika Savanne exhibit. They're from today.

Reticulated giraffes in their new area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this new exhibit were living reticulated giraffes, springbok, very rare black wildebeasts, grévy's zebras, white pelicans, ostriches and helmeted guineafowls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dylon

Dylon Member

View hut with window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail

[​IMG]

Zebras

[​IMG]

16. Dylon

Dylon Member

Survey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Dylon

Dylon Member

The empty klipspringer exhibit. The last klipspringer leaves Artis a couple of months ago (now he lives in Blijdorp).

[​IMG]

Also i've pictures of a 'new' Malayan tapir exhibit. Here lives one male tapir (Dick). The female one lives in an other exhibit behind the Gorillahuis.

Outdoor area

[​IMG]

Indoor

[​IMG]

Beside it, a couple of weeks ago, three Alaskan wolves arrived in Artis. Now there live 4 wolves in the Amsterdam Zoo. Here a picture:

[​IMG]

At the moment is Artis restore the monumental Apenhuis (Primate House) and Vogelhuis (Bird House). Here a few pictures:

Rear views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dylon

Dylon Member

Primate House

[​IMG]

Bird House

[​IMG]

Because of this very big renovation, the primates are now scattered through the whole zoo. The Indonesian Minangkabau Hause is shaped as combination exhibit for anoas (Bubalus depressicornis) and Crested Black Macaques (Macaca nigra). I really like this exhibit.

Minangkabau Hause

[​IMG]

Anoa and Crested Black Macaque

[​IMG]

The monumental Fazanterie (Aviary) is also a building excavation. Here comes a big new aviary for ara's and an African aviary with ground hornbills, marabou storks and more little birds. Here a few pictures of the building:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dylon

Dylon Member

And last but not least: there's a new exhibit for black-tailed prairie dogs.

The exhibit

[​IMG]

Two prairie dogs

[​IMG]

I hope you like it!

Dylon

20. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member

Fun to see these pictures, there haven't been many on the dutch zoo forum sofar (hint hint).

I really like the savannah, in my mind the old floor in it wasn't all yellow soft-sand but more black sand and grass, which i found better on the eye. But other then that, it's a lot bigger and it's so much better to see the giraffes on it...

And apparantly Dick, the male malayan tapir, has been moved to Tanias' (the hippo) old exhibit when he's not in with his girl in the normal tapir exhibit.

Can't wait to see the old monkey- and birdhouses restored! It's in my mind one of the most beautifull buildings in the zoological world.