Join our zoo community

Asian Elephants in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Hyak_II, 11 Apr 2018.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Also when Elizabeth is a little bit older she'll also be able to have a calf naturally sired by Mingjung

Elephantelephant likes this.
  2. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

When do elephants move from Tierpark Berlin? At first it was planned by the end of the year, but it looks like it will be delayed. I also wonder where Kewa and her family will move when Munich no longer wants it. Possible is Emmen, who is able to accommodate up to twenty elephants. Another option is perhaps Pont Scorff, because last year there died the only breeding cow Homaline. Frosja and Louise are likely to go to Augsburg, Astra to Karlsruhe. It will also be interesting with African elephants. There was some speculation about Kronberg, but it was also said that Pori should go to Halle and meet her daughter Tana, but Panya and Ayo would have to leave. The question is also whether a 48-year-old cow Lilak is a good move.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Elephantelephant

Sam from Whipsnade will move to Antwerp probably next week.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The move of Panya with Ayo out and arrival of Pori to ensure matriarchal lineage buildings for both is an On.

You are correct on the elderly cow moves, a good thing I believe. The Kewa family group move is the big Unknown.

5. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant and Jambo like this.
  6. Elephantelephant

Sam is now in Antwerp and Ming Jung in Whipsnade. Sam was already acquainted with Assam and Assam took the role of leader.
    AND OTHER GREAT NEWS !!!!! Surin in Copenhagen is pregnant and expects a calf in autumn 2020.:)I hope this time the calf will be born healthy because her two previous calves have not survived.

Elephant Enthusiast and Jaxton like this.
  7. Elephantelephant

THURA from Leipzig is dead ... I'm crushed.:( She was 45 years old and had a total of 6 calves, of which 3 is alive. In the spring, thanks to the youngest Rani will to become a grandmother again. She died of abortion problems. The first in 2014, the second in 2018. Pregnancy in 2018 was terminated because it was at great risk, her previous calf was in her uterus. She probably died of blood poisoning because of a calf in her uterus.
    Leipzig: Zoo trauert um Elefantendame „Thura“ – Starb mit totem Baby im Bauch
    Elefantenkuh Thura ist tot | Zoo Leipzig

8. Elephantelephant

Now the question is what will happen to Saida. It is aggressive towards other elephants and cannot be assigned to them. A good solution would be to bring her daughter Salvana from Hamburg. With her she could be and Salvana would have the opportunity to breed, because in Hamburg is missing a bull and should not be brought in sight.

9. Elephantelephant

Next news! This time great!:) Thong Tai in Amsterdam is pregnant and the calf will give birth in May next year! I hope that pregnancy will also be announced at Yindee soon, as she is of an age when she should definitely have a baby elephant.
    Petra Prager – Elefanten-Fotolexikon

10. Elephantelephant

Frosja and Louise from Tierpark Berlin will move to Augsburg. This was announced by the director of Augsburg Zoo. I think Astra will move to Karlsruhe next year because Karlsruhe Zoo has announced that it wants to get two cows next year. Kewa and his offspring will probably go to Veszprém or Szeged, so Shanti and Dinkar moved. But one of the bulls would probably will move to the other zoo.

11. Elephantelephant

Saida from Leipzig moves elsewhere, somewhere to older cows. This was announced by Leipzig Zoo. I guess it will probably Karlsruhe.

12. Elephantelephant

Zoologisk Have
    Unfortunately, Thi Ha Phyu died in Copenhagen.:( She was 39 years old, had 3 offspring and had chronic problems with her front legs. RIP Thi Ha Phyu.

Ebirah766 likes this.
  13. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most likely Kewa, Thuza, Pantha and Edgar will go to Szeged. Shahrukh is 11 years old and fairly genetically valuable, the EEP probably wants to get him started breeding. Kyan from Amersfoort is supposed to go to Veszprem soon, and possibly they will send Taru too?

14. Elephantelephant

Yes, it would be better than Veszprém, where the males are still too young. Taru probably also leaves. However, about Kyan was told in summer that he was going to Nikolaev. So change?

15. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

The Zürich Zoo has announced that three of their elephant cows are expecting in 2020.

Drei trächtige Elefantenkühe | Zoo Zürich

33 year old Indi and 14 year old Farah are expecting in spring 2020 with their fourth and second calf, respectively, while 5 year old Omysha is expecting in autumn 2020 with her first calf. All three cows conceived naturally with the 15 year old bull Thai.

With the announcement of these pregnancies, there are a few questions I have regarding the elephants at the Zürich Zoo.

Is 17 year old Chandra a behavioural non-breeder because she has yet to conceive naturally with the breeding bull Thai despite many opportunities to mate?

If Chandra is a behavioural non-breeder, would the Zürich Zoo consider or attempt artificial insemination to successfully impregnate her?

Are there potential risks or complications that could arise with Omysha's pregnancy given her young age?

16. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chandra crosses her legs and won't let Thai penetrate her. So yes, behavioral non-breeder.

No clue

Not really. Several other cows in Europe have had their first calves around the same age or younger, with no issues to speak of.

17. Elephantelephant

This is really amazing news !!!:) So many calves in one year! For Farha and Indi it's not a big surprise, but Omysha!?! I really didn't expect that! But I won't stay calm until her calf is born. After all, she's still young. Many young cows had dead calves or calves not survive (Homaline, Phoebe from Ramat Gan, Annie from Pairi Daiza, Donna from Whipsnade ...). Annie of Pairi Daiza even died. So far, however, everything is fine with Omysha and the calf is developing well. Zürich Zoo is successful in breeding elephants and has excellent conditions (the best elephant house in Europe). Therefore, I believe that the calf will be born healthy. Saphira in Hannover also had her first calf at the age of 6. However, Thai has now proved to be a very good breeding bull! At the age of only 16, he will becomes a quadruple father!
    And now to Chandra. She is 17 years old and still does not expect a calf. On the webcam I watched her with Thai. He was interested in her, but she was afraid of him and wouldn't let him cover her. We can only hope that he will no longer fear him. Another option is to bring another bull. But zurich already has two bulls, so maybe this is not possible. Only after the death of old Maxi. But it will be too late. I think the Zurich Zoo should carry out an AI with her to have a baby, and in a few years when Maxi dies, get a second bull.

18. Elephantelephant