Join our zoo community

Asian enclosure design

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 5 Nov 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

From the london zoo 'zoo world' thread, Can anyone make an asian themed exhibit using the species below:

( Species is the amount of species and Exhibits is the amount of exhibits. clear enough?)

Mammals (max. 7 Species, 5 exhibits)

Prevost's squirrel, Large tree shrew, Lesser tree shrew, Large Mouse deer, Pygmy loris, Slender loris, Lowland anoa, Banteng, Asian (Malayan) tapir, Bearded pig, Javan warty pig, Binturong, Hog badger, Large flying fox, Malayan civet, Palm civet, Douc Langur, Sumatran Rhinoceros, Tonkin snub nosed monkey ( Couldn't resist throwing this one in!!), Proboscis monkey, Orang-utan ( either species, please specify), Siamang, Moloch gibbon, Kloss' gibbon, Pig tailed macaque, Sulawesi crested macaque, Lion tailed macaque, Asian elephant, Mountain anoa, Gaur, Babirusa, Clouded leopard, Tiger, Moonrat, sambar, Dugong and Irawaddy dolphin.

Birds ( Maximum 16 species (Only 2 hornbills!!!), 7 exhibits)

Crested wood partridge, White rumped shama, pompadour pigeon, Jambu fruit dove, Nicobar pigeon, Hooded pitta, Banded pitta, Crested fireback, Crestless fireback, Maaly peacock pheasant, White collared kingfisher, Coral billed ground cuckoo, Fairy bluebird, Asian glossy starling, White crested hornbill, Bali starling, Timor sparrow, Java sparrow, Wrinkled hornbill, Black hornbill, Oriental pied hornbill, Siamese fireback, Red wattled lapwing, Pied imperial pigeon, Emerald dove, Diard's trogon, Greater yellownape, Greater racket tailed drongo, White crested Laughing thrush, Pekin robin, Silver eared Mesia, Red tailed laughing thrush, Orange headed thrush, Chestnu backed thrush, Chestnut capped thrush, Asian pied starling, Black collared starling, Helmeted hornbill, Rhinoceros hornbill, Bronze tailed peacock pheasant, Asian openbill, Storm's stork, Lesser adjutant, milky stork, Painted stork, Bornean peacock pheasant, Woolly necked stork, Glossy ibis, Sarus Crane, Greater adjutnat, Sulaesi wrinkled hornbill and Red Jungle fowl

Fish ( 3 tanks)

Any species!!!

Reptiles ( Max 4 species, 3 exhibits)

Elongated tortoise, Spiny turtle, Fly's river turtle, Big headed turtle, Star tortoise, Annam leaf turtle, Four eyed turtle, Mangrove monitor, Red tailed racer, Blue coral snake, False gharial, Gharial, Crocodile monitor, Blood python, Reticulated python,Green pricklenape.

Amphibians (Max 1 species)

Mossy frog
    White's tree frog

Rules of the game:

If you mix a mammal and a bird together you have used half of and exhibit, This counts no matter whether you have mammals, birds, fish , reptiles and amphibians together. Each would lose a half.

If making a walkthrough aviary, this takes up 2 exhibits of the species, or one if the are more than one animal types. ( see above)

You can also surprise me with a little added exhibit. This does not take up any exhibits or animals, and you may use any amount of south east asian animals in this exhibit, even the ones not listed.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Any questions, just ask!

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So if I built an enclosure for warty pigs and jungle fowl, would that leave 4 and a half mammal exhibits and 6 and a half bird exhibits?

3. Writhedhornbill

Yeah!! You got it Bongorob.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're being rather naughty - the Fly River/pig-nosed turtle and White's tree frog can't qualify as Asian species :)

I can't decide on my bonus exhibit - should it be a walk-through aviary for flying tree snakes (that might not attract many customers) or a 50 000 gallon Himalayan river aquarium for golden mahseers?

Alan

5. bongorob

Okay Hornbill, here is my Asian exhibit.

mammals
    enclosure 1 Malayan Tapir with underwater viewing
    enclosure 2 Proboscis Monkey and Kloss' Gibbon
    enclosure 3 Moonrat
    enclosure 4 Large Tree Shrew and Large Mouse Deer
    enclosure 5 Hog Badger

birds
    aviary 1 Banded Pitta and Greater Racket-tailed Drongo
    aviary 2 Storm's Stork and Red Wattled Lapwing
    aviary 3 Helmeted Hornbill and Red Jungle Fowl
    aviary 4 Bronze-tailed Peacock Pheasant and Diard's Trogon
    aviary 5 Black Hornbill and Hooded Pitta
    aviary 6 Crested Wood Partridge, Timor Sparrow and Fairy Bluebird
    aviary 7 Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo, Greater Yellownape and Chestnut-capped Thrush

reptiles
    enclosure 1 Gharial
    enclosure 2 Four-eyed Turtle and Green Pricklenape
    enclosure 3 Star Tortoise

amphibians Mossy Frog

fish
    tank 1 Asian Arowana
    tank 2 Giant Mekong Catfish
    tank 3 Puntius pachycheilus (a critically endangered barb from the Philippines)

special exhibit
    Philippines Colugo with Chinese Pangolin.

6. Writhedhornbill

That great, I like the special exhibit and that Puntius Pachychelius. Do any zoos keep it?

7. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

You'll have to make sure this is all within the rules...

Attached Files:

8. Writhedhornbill

Brilliant!! I LOVE IT!!!!

How did you make the diagram?

9. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

The diagram was just done on paint...

I should explain that a thick black line is an exterior wall, thin black is an interior wall. Light green is the enclosure, and dark green is planted areas. Grey is keeper areas. Doors are obvious I think.

To give an idea of scale, the enclosures containing Komodo Dragon, False Gharial, the Sulawesi Crested Macaque indoor area and the Clouded Leopard indoor area are all a similar size, and they would be about as big as Chester's Macaque enclosure.

Going on such a scale, you'll notice that the orangutan exhibit is massive, but it is designed to counter act what I like to call Pertinax Syndrome (cos Grantsmb always says Borneans are lazy). In this exhibit they are forced to move around to forage for food. If it isn't clear, the orangutan exhibit can be viewed from inside the aviary.

Its a shame you didn't give us more species Hornbill, because there would be a Philipino house to go with that too, complete with deer, pigs, hornbills, sailfinned lizards and crocs. Maybe a Sumatran house. I would've liked Javan langur in the Java house too (considered doing that as the surprise one).

I'm actually ashamed as to how much effort I've put into this ridiculous task!

10. bongorob

Don't be ashamed, I think it is great.

11. bongorob

The IUCN red list calls it Cephalakompsus pachycheilus, and considers this species to be possibly extinct. The only known range is (was) Lake Lanao. So it would seem not to be held in captivity. (Apart from my dream Asian house).

I've looked for Puntius, Barbus, Capoeta and Cephalakompsus as the genus and there is no evidence of anyone keeping this fish.

Fishbase does not list any specimens held in captivity.

12. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

I don't get the rules, sorry..

But if someone told them for me, i would be sooo happy...

13. bongorob

What don't you understand Swedish Zoo Fan?

14. Swedish Zoo Fan

^The rules for the game.

15. bongorob

Right Swedish Zoo fan.

You can do a smiple list like I did, or a more elaborate entry as Chris did.

You need to choose any 7 of the mammals listed, and place them in 5 enclosures.

You need to choose any 16 bird species which have to go into 7 aviaries. Regarding hornbills it is a maximum of 2 hornbill species, but you can have one or none if you want.

You can have any 3 Asian fish species, one per tank

You can have 4 reptile species in 3 enclosures, one enclosure should exhibit 2 types of reptile.

You can either have mossy frogs or White's tree Frog (but as Gentle Lemur posted, this is not an Asian species)

your surprise exhibit can be whatever you want as long as it is an Asian exhibit, apparently there is no limit as to what can be housed in this one, if this is wrong I'm sure Hornbill wil correct me.

Quote from me

'So if I built an enclosure for warty pigs and jungle fowl, would that leave 4 and a half mammal exhibits and 6 and a half bird exhibits?'

You may do this in order to exhibit more species, but personally I found the specified exhibit and species number to be adequate.

I hope this helps. You ought to have a go anyway and if it's wrong someone will tell you what your mistakes were.

16. Writhedhornbill

Thanks rob, I didn't know how else to explain it!

17. Swedish Zoo Fan

Thank you very much Bongorob.

I'm gonna do an Asian exhibit soon...:)

18. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

just a little off-topic note here -

its true "white's tree frogs" (we call them green tree frogs) and "fly river turtles" (we call them pig-nosed turtles) are both australiasian species. the frogs are not found further west than wallaces line i believe.

but white's tree frogs are spectactular pets. they would have to be by far the best frog species one could keep. they are incredibly docile and non-flighty. i had some for years (until i went OS for a year and the friend who looked after them was very reluctant to give them back!!!)

melbourne zoo currently has about 3 or 4 baby pig-nosed turtles that are very fascinating to watch. like little freshwater sea turtles....

sorry, back to your game....