Join our zoo community

Asian Golden Cats

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by SumatrIan, 7 Mar 2019.

1. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wait, do you mean there are only THREE golden cats in Parc des Félins now ?! That is terrible, as I have thought there are still plenty of golden cats and breed well in the zoo :(

2. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a golden cat was born in European zoos?

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2018 or 19 in Wuppertal I think.

Ding Lingwei likes this.
  4. KylRoze

KylRoze New Member

Yes ;(

5. KylRoze

KylRoze New Member

In "Parc des Félins" France : 2013 (Guï in picture) gui24052019.jpg

6. baboon

So the global Tibetan golden cat population in captivity is only EIGHT now :(
    Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens, UK (1 male, Ipoh)
    Heidelberg Zoo, Germany (1 female, Swai-fai)
    Le Parc des Felins, France (2 males, Guï and Phu Len)
    Chongqing Zoo, China (1 male and 1 female, unrelated; the female has just arrived from Chengdu Zoo recently)
    Zigong Zoo, China (1 male)
    Shehong zoo, China (1 male)
    The four European individuals are siblings, while the four Chinese individuals are all unrelated. Hope there will be a cooperative program between Chinese and European zoos :(

7. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

I've heard that Wuppertal had a litter this year. I don't know if any kitten has survived.
    Munster is still trying (and will be) with AI.

Arizona Docent and baboon like this.
  8. Pongo

Pongo Well-Known Member

The female golden cat in Münster has died in fall; the male is already very old and not of best health, so it's very probable that the species will not be seen much longer in the zoo. I am not 100% but I think the male cat in Wuppertal has died as well.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Kind of sad about the diminishing number of this incredible species being kept at Parc des Felins.

When I visited way back in 2013 If I remember correctly I saw two pairs of this species that were I assume different subspecies though I cannot recall what these were. I pretty much visited the park specifically to see these cats and it was the first time I had ever seen a live one. Needless to say it was a very special treat to catch a glimpse of them and I remember them prowling up and down the fence of their enclosure.

I do hope the park continues to breed and obtain this species as it would be a shame if it was to slowly fade out from zoos due to a lack of interest like the African golden cat sadly has done.

Neva and Arizona Docent like this.
  10. Marco Penello

Marco Penello Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The situation of this EEP is really sad and terrible. We would need to import new animals from Asia, but it is a very difficult task.

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They would have been Catopuma temminckii tristis (current population: 2.0) and Catopuma temminckii temminckii (current population: 0.1).

The female Catopuma temminckii temminckii is named Hoi An (born 2001 at Singapore Zoo) and lived in New Zealand for a few years. I saw her son, Hotan, prior to his export to Wuppertal Zoo. He was a large, striking cat.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Truly sad indeed. On my visits (several years ago) to Le Parc Des Felins they had three separate exhibits for golden cats, one of which held a mother and kitten. I also saw three separate exhibits on my sole visit to Edinburgh Zoo. I am glad I got photos when I did (just as I am glad I got good photos of Indian wildcat at Port Lympne before they died out).

Tafin likes this.
  13. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

What year did you see the kitten?

Does anyone know if Hoi An has bred there?

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Tafin It was in the first of the three exhibits at Le Parc Des Felins. This means the exhibit on the main Asia path (where you could see it from the front on route to snow leopards and siberian tigers or from the side going down the dead-end path to other two golden cat exhibits). This was in April 2013.
    hang in there baby - ZooChat
    [​IMG]

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It will be Guï then.

Arizona Docent and Tafin like this.
  16. baboon

Always wonder why golden cats in Le Parc Des Felins fail to breed, since their enclosures are so lush and large, judging from the gallery photos. Maybe an off-exhibit and more lush and taller enclosure would be helpful ?

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Aren't these felines just notoriously difficult to breed in captivity anyway even if the enclosure is large and densely planted ?

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They are one of the trickier ones to breed, yes - but Parc des Felins is actually the collection which for many years was having the most success with the species. Problem is, when one collection is breeding them and other collections only do so very rarely, and little to no new blood is coming in, you end up with a closely related population and breeding stops...... which, in combination with some good old-fashioned mismanagement at one collection which will remain nameless, is what did for the Tibetans in Europe,

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I see , thank you for this information, I think this is particularly common when it comes to institutions maintaining the smaller feline species ex situ. What a shame that the same interest in breeding big cats is not directed to their smaller relatives.

I guess it was a similar situation which ultimately led to the African golden cat disappearing from zoos ?

Arizona Docent likes this.
  20. baboon

I think the African golden cats were never prevalent in the zoo world? Otherwise it should be easier to breed than Asiastic golden cats since the African one is the close relative of caracal, which is a taxon easy to breed, while the Asiatic golden cat belongs to the most difficult-to-breed felid taxon, which also inlcudes marbled cat and bay cat ?