Join our zoo community

Asian Lions in Europe - Part Two

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Indlovu, 29 Jul 2010.

1. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bad news from Prague:

Series of medical examinations found out that female Suchi will never be able to breed and second female, Ginni has a very low chance of success. Zoo will try AI with her in January.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Koning Richard

Koning Richard Member

Great topic! Glad I have found it. In the past years I tried to make my own database but with this topic I was able to add quite some stuff :) Still some unclear things and questions tho, and perhaps things I could add. Are we still keeping this going or?

3. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

Of course we will.

4. Koning Richard

Koning Richard Member

Great :) I have some gaps and questions that maybe you guys can help me out with :)
    But let me start with update on my local Rotterdam zoo and their offspring in other zoo's.

So Lalana gave birth to 4 in august 2018, already mentioned above. 1 didn't survive.
    We have 3 little girls running around now; Mette, Reena and Asha.

Our other lady, Churchilla, who was Aapel's favorite, became a bit jealous, provoking Lalana, so she was seperated from the group, in search for a new home for her. Maybe she already left, unknown.

Our 2009 born Naui, now living in Moscow as 'Lina' gave birth to son Roksak and daughter Umida, in 2005. Father is Max, formerly known as Zurich's Kuvam. Max didn't live with the group from what I heard last. Did this change or they live alltogether now? or will be replaced?

Our 2011 born Shanto, coupled to Gira in Fota, Ireland.
    They had son Loki, and daughters Ayra and Amira in 2017

His litter sister Rani, coupled to Kamal in Chessington.
    They had daughters Anala, Ramara and Kesari in 2016.
    The 3 girls live in Benidorm now with Bala

5. Koning Richard

Koning Richard Member

Sorry, Naui gave birth in 2015, not 2005 :)
    Rotterdam looking for a new lioness now to replace Churchilla.
    Would be nice if it was one of Shantee's grand- or grandgranddaughters :)

6. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

I had the same notes in my lists. Only difference is, that Zoo Madrid receive a male named KUVAM last year which could be the MAX/KUVAM from zoo Moscow.

7. Koning Richard

Koning Richard Member

Must be him yes. Naui didn't like him at all. Surprised he had the chance to make the cubs with her. But after they were born, she liked him even less, so they lived seperately. Wonder if Naui and her kids have a new male living with them in Moscow now.

8. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

SOHAN (M) in Ostrava was euthanized due to health problems caused by old age.

Prague tried once again AI with one of their females, the result is unknown so far.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the updates. Hopefully the new breeding attempts at Prague will be successful (fingers crossed)

Sohan was born on 3rd October 2003 at Paignton (Midas X Jamna). He lived in Ostrava (minus a short loan to Prague for breeding attempts) since 2006. He has no surviving offspring. I believe he was the last surviving offspring from Midas and Jamna unless Asha (Born 1998, last lived at Santillana) is still alive. I have been unable to confirm either way

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couple of recent updates:

Bioparco Di Roma has announced the birth of two female cubs. They were born 29th April to Sajani (B2013 at Magdeburg) and Ravi (B2016 at Planckendael). These are first Asian Lions to be born at Roma

Male, Loki (Born August 2017) left Fota Wildlife Park this week to go to Zoo Lodz. Zoo Lodz completed a new Asian Lion exhibit in 2019. They now hold Loki and female, Tycia (age 14)

11. Pongo

Pongo Well-Known Member

1.0 Shapur (*probably 2018) arrived at Zoo Schwerin from Zoo Mulhouse yesterday. Shapur was born in Aalborg and was moved to Mulhouse together with his sister last February. Not to be confused with Shapur who lives in Stuttgart. Schwerin is still expecting to receive three females from London, which originally was scheduled for December but failed due to Brexit woes.

Nisha likes this.
  12. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Kamran the Asiatic Lion who was born at Bristol Zoo in November 2012,is ill and is being neglected and abused. Kamran moved to Iran about eighteen months ago. There is currently a Go Fund Me Page online if you wish to aid his rescue.

If possible please donate and assist Kamran to be saved and brought back to his home Country (England)

Concerns over Bristol lion that fell ill after being moved to Iran

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No news since? These Asiatic lions should have been evaluated pre export from India to Europe. My criticism of recent imports has always been the almost - apparent willful neglect on the part of Indian species management and CZA central authority to provide fit for breeding Asiatic lions for overseas zoos. Given that even Sakkarbaugh Zoo, Junagadh is literally overloaded with wild captured Asiatic lions from Gir Forest they should have done a lot better. These are strong words, but I know my CZA studbook from front to back - and even this is not fully up to date and historically correct - and thence do not mince my wordings here. It is a darn shame this from the Indian zoo authority side (similar goes for Asiatic lions send to Singapore).

Examples have been recent imports to Praha, Rotterdam and London Zoo. Not sure about the genetics and health of Asiatics send to Aalborg (the new species coordinator within EEP/EAZA).

Zorro likes this.
  14. Pongo

Pongo Well-Known Member

The three females Heidi, Rubi and Indi have arrived in Schwerin now.

15. The Hedgehog

@Pongo has Arya from Paington moved to London Zoo yet,and have Sita and Kali arrived at Paington Zoo from Cotswold Wildlife Park.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That settles that then (for ZSL-Regent's Park).

17. Pongo

Pongo Well-Known Member

Don't know about that, sorry. I rather have information on the German zoo movements than those of specific species in general

18. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

Do someone knows who are the oldest asian lions in Europe and how old are they ?
    Kalindi/Kampti at la Boissière du Doré celebrates her 19th birthday today and is said to be among the oldests.

19. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

Asha and Kyra at Dudley were born in 2006, so are up there as being old.

20. The Hedgehog

@Panthera1981 I think that Asha who was born at Paignton and later resided at Chester,may be the eldest living Asiatic Lioness in Europe. Do not quote me that Asha is alive,but I have not heard that she has passed away. No news is good news I guess. @Panthera1981 if Asha is still alive she is the sole surviving offspring of Midas and Jamna. At @Nisha are you awere if Asha is still around?

Last edited: 2 May 2021