Join our zoo community

Asian Openbills In North America?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 11 May 2018.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there any Asian Openbills (Anastomus oscitans) in North American collections? They're quite fascinating and Least Concern under the IUCN. I know that African Openbills are on display at multiple zoos including San Diego, Lowry Park among others. I just don't know why there wouldn't be any Asians. They'd be great in a smaller free flight aviary with other Asian birds such as Mandarin ducks, mynahs, game birds like Old World pheasants and numerous Asian passerines.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, there are none of this species in North America. It is held privately in Europe but I believe none are on exhibit outside their native range countries.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could any be imported?

4. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

The species has been held in North America in the not-too-distant past. I remember seeing both openbill species at San Diego about 20 years ago (I believe the Asian was at the Zoo, while the African was present at both the Zoo and the Park - but I'm not entirely sure). I don't believe it was ever plentiful, and I remember from ISIS that only San Diego held the species at any time in the past 20+ years.

Sarus Crane likes this.