Join our zoo community

Assam State Zoo Assam State Zoo news

Discussion in 'India' started by vogelcommando, 19 Jul 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Some random bits and pieces.

The Assam State Zoo has/had a melanistic Asiatic Golden Cat, at least in 2014 - see this thread online newsletter for small cats

While trying to find out some more information on it (which I could not), I came across this Tripadvisor photo taken at the zoo of a largely-unpigmented Gaur (or probably a Gayal actually):
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0b/75/5a/14/assam-state-zoo.jpg
    There's a different photo of the same animal from last month (August 2017) as well.

In November 2014 the zoo obtained three Pigmy Hogs. I don't know if they are still alive.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

According to the very helpful, but often flawed CZA inventory, the last 'new' golden cat went to Assam in 2013, which suggests that they were probably there in 2014. The inventory also lists a pair of surviving pygmy hogs, with one having died in the 2016-17 year. (Inventory)

Chlidonias likes this.
  5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's a Gayal. As a domestic, they vary in colour (well, you get white and pied as well as wild colour) unlike Gaur. Horn shape is diagnostic, as is size if you're standing next to it. Gaur are a lot bigger.

Chlidonias likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

when I visited I checked their inventory on the CZA and listed the ones which did not seem to be present (on my review: Assam State Zoo - A visit to the Assam State Zoo (Guwahati), 10 March 2014). The only small cats I saw were Jungle Cats and Leopard Cats. I would prefer to think that the melanistic Golden Cat was not yet present rather than that I missed it because it was unlabelled and hiding! :p

7. vogelcommando

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

9. Chlidonias

The article clearly says that the three rhinos were kept together because they were raised together - not that the female was introduced to the male for breeding.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems these were previously calves rescued(orphaned?) from Kaziranga that have been through a wildlife rescue centre first. It says they were 'handraised'. This zoo seems to act as a repository for surplus Rhinos that can't be released again. They had about nine when I went here some years ago, and kept in really poor conditions. For 'mating attempt' we can probably just read youthful behaviour and attempted mountings.

11. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I know, because I also read the article.
    My post didn’t say that she was; I was just pointing out that mating would not have produced offspring.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For all good purposes: 5 (3.2) resident rhinos till mid 2017. In October 1.2 hand-reared calves introduced aged 1 - 2.5 years from CWRC near Kaziranga which were kept together at CWRC previously. They had been looking for additional animals for the Indian breeding program. So, CWRC loaned them some rhinos for that purpose.

ASZ should now have an additional breeding facility off exhibit. If I am correct they may yet not have adequate separation facilities (which I think they should have as GOHR are solitary) and only has 2 large exclosures.

BTW: one adult female is due this year. Last calf in 2013.

13. vogelcommando

14. Zahir Khan

Zahir Khan New Member

Assam state zoo is located in Guwahati. This is the only zoo in north-east India

15. vogelcommando

16. vogelcommando

17. vogelcommando

Sarus Crane and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. vogelcommando

19. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new rumour has it that the Assam State Zoo is to provide 1.1 Indian rhino to Gorakhpur Zoo or Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Zoological Park in Uttar Pradesh. They will provide a 4-year old male and an 8-year old female (if the transliteration is correct - it does not wholly match the current rhino numbers in Guwahati though .... that I know of).
    Sources:
    Gorakhpur zooto get 2 rhinosfrom Guwahati | Lucknow News - Times of India
    गोरखपुर चिडिय़ाघर में असम से लाए आएंगे कम उम्र के गैंडे
    पूर्वांचल का बरगद, पीपल, पाकड़ खाएंगे असम गोरखपुर चिडियाघर लाए जा रहे गैंडे

Personally, this new zoo in Gorakhpur is getting a pair of rhinos without any experience, without any previous history of maintenance and husbandry of wild animals even. I remain a sceptic this will go down well.

Illustrative: The last breeding loan to Patna Zoo for example the ASZ sent their breeding male Nag Sankar (Nagshanker) on breeding loan there in December 2019. Alas, that transfer did not end well and over 1 month after transfer he was dead, (mind you Patna Zoo being an experienced holder). A second loan was a young female rhino Bagori (brought as an orphan from Kaziranga and the rescue center) for Mysore Zoo also in December 2019.

After this loan will be completed, ASZ should only have 3-4 rhinos left. I do not even know at this point if breeding continued beyond 2013 when a male was born to Baghekhati (she is the oldest breeding female). The other breeding female Pori, her daughter was supposedly pregnant a few years back but no confirmation on a new born or birth since.

BTW: It seems the transfer of a pair of Indian rhino to Tamam Safari Indonesia .... never took place. Not sure what happened to the chimpanzee exchange!

Last edited: 23 Jan 2022