Join our zoo community

Assiniboine Park Zoo Assiniboine Park Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 12 Jan 2021.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amur tigers are on the move. Calgary's male Youri is being swapped for Winnipeg's Samkha so that Samkha can breed with Sarma. Its a terrible idea given that they are cousins but at least Calgary can celebrate his return. Youri will housed at Winnipeg with his sister Volga but thankfully no breeding. It would be worse than Calgary breeding cousins which it will. SSP just send Canada a little new blood, please one or two tigers is all we ask.

Calgary Zoo says goodbye to 1 male tiger, hello to another

IndianRhino likes this.
  2. TZFan

3. BovidBabe

BovidBabe Well-Known Member

Looks like the Zoo has welcomed two new Bactrian camels. Sophie and Tina from African lion safari! I Look forward to seeing them when I go in to renew my membership :)

4. BovidBabe

Season two of Arctic Vets premieres nationally on CBC on Friday, January 7 at 8:30 p.m (I am assuming CT). You can watch the first season on CBC Gem if you missed it.

5. TZFan

Welcome to Zoochat BovidBabe! Nice to have a new member.

Nice that they were able to get new camels so soon after loosing the other one. Love when Canadian zoos work together.

BovidBabe likes this.
  6. BovidBabe

Thank you! There doesn't seem to be any other active Winnipeggers (that I have seen so far), but I am glad to pop in and be the Assiniboine representation. I am sure you will hear lots from me in the future. :D

Ituri likes this.
  7. TZFan

No I believe you will largely be the only representative. I do the best I can with what I can find out but I have never even been to Winnipeg much less the zoo. It will be neat to hear more from the zoo from your local knowledge. Please feel free to jump in and join us on the Toronto threads if you're looking for lively zoo conversations. Dont need to visit to participate. You could bring an outsiders perspective. Welcome again!

8. BovidBabe

Absolutely, I'll check out the TZ threads!

Next time I am at the assiniboine zoo I intend on getting some pictures of the layout to add to the media section, as some things like Aunt Sally's farm are missing. Feel free to holler at me if you have any questions that I may be able to answer!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2021
  9. TZFan

Oh a ton of new photos would be nice to get an idea of what its like is cool. Be sure to post here when you do put them up so I know. I will check Torontos media from time to time but rarely any where else so I might miss out.

If you could keep your ear to the ground about snow leopard Kita beung returned to Toronto that would be super. Shes a top contender if not the top contender to come to Toronto as Pemba's mate after the death of her mother Ena. Thats my one big questiong right now.

Id also like to learn more about the individual polar bears... personality, whos displayed with who ect.

Oh and you might wanna check out the Toronto Zoo family tree thread. Yes its focus is on Toronto animals but you will still be able to find info on Winnipeg animals that have passed through Toronto. The index is on the last page by species. Then I'd suggest search the species and once you find it search again for Assinioboine. That is if yoy are into small details about the animals you visit. Its a cool resource. Im also happy yo help you learn about individuals not included on the tree if you want. Happy to help if needed , if not thats cool too.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2021
  10. BovidBabe

From what I have seen about Kita, she is staying here to hopefully have cubs with Arka now that Batu and her cubs have moved to the Greater Vancouver Zoo and they have space again.

As for bears, on the Assiniboine Zoo facebook they put out a series of videos at the start of Novemeber all about the bears for polar bear week. The only bear that lives alone would be Star, and she is currently off display as the international polar bear center is off limits with covid. I did get to see her in October during a behind the scenes tour given to me by the curator!

The polar bear exhibit is split into 3 different parts, and bears are rotated out. Storm is the most sociable I believe, he is the mentor bear and is good with everyone. Kaska and Aurora are very closely bonded, with Willow slowly inching in to their duo to make a trio. I don't remember the rest off the top of my head, but I believe they go into it on Arctic Vets. They are all very fun to watch, no matter who is where. I know they also do a little personality quiz every year and use that to help determine what bonds are strong, and who needs a little work. That is in partnership with a student from the UofW.

I will take a peak at the family tree thread as well! I love knowing facts about all the individuals, even the species I am not as keen on.

On a not so related note, it sounds like Fiona and Panda, the two takins here, may have a calf this spring. Panda is now fully grown, and they have been noting mounting behavior. I uh, actually interrupted them the one morning, oops! I got quite the stare down as I rushed away to give them privacy again :oops::D

11. TZFan

Hate to burst your snow leopard dreams but Kita is not there right now to breed with Arka. She is there as display only. Her mothers death could change that but Akra isn't genetically a great match because he is so overrepresented. Its why his mom and brothers moved to Vancouver instead of the US. She would be better off with any other male not related to Akra in Canada. Her mothers death might change the SSP's perspective but... I think that might mean a move for her more then breeding with him. Hard to say because Ena's death is so fresh and she was sooooo valuable as an import.

Oh poor Star having to live alone when the others get to be together. Is there a reason why? And lucky duck getting a tour from a curator!!! Am I jealous? Absolutely.

Thats cool they did a profile of each of them. Ill have to check it out. I dont have TV but the Arctic vets seemed like a cool show and I am glad they got a second season. Hope it continues for years!

Like I said you will have to do more scrounging to get the Winnipeg info then someone looking for Toronto stuff but there is solid info there on probably a good number of animals. I can help with more if you give me some direction.

Oh nice I didnt know Winnipeg had a breeding pair of takin. That will be nice for the Canadian population if they aren't related to Edmonton's group. Hope you get a calf you so rudely watched being created... lol.

12. BovidBabe

They posted on facebook that they did intend to breed Kita and Akra back in November. Things may have changed since, but I have not heard anything otherwise. I will try and catch one of the cat keepers next time I am there and ask. I seem to always run into them when they are feeding the tigers.

As for Star, she prefers to be alone. She didn't get along with anyone. She does get extra one on one training as a result however!

If you are on a computer you can watch Arctic vets free on cbc gem, I am not sure if you can do it on a mobile device.

As for the takin, if I remember correctly they are both from Red River zoo four hours south across the border. Don't know exactly where they are from past that. I got to feed Panda a biscuit during my tour, so I was a little more paying attention to that rather than the curator, aha.

13. TZFan

Oh interesting on the breeding front. Interesting indeed.

Well I guess if you prefer independence its cool to be alone. I get it. I love solitude. Lol.

Oh I didnt know you CBC gem was free. Now that I think about it yeah it would be wouldnt it being from the government and not being a for profit enterprise. Add to the list of things to watch now.

Hey south of the border for the takin is a great start. Everyone elses takin were from Edmonton's group so no breeding was going to be possible this is great news! @BovidBabe we have needed your voice on here for a long time!

14. BovidBabe

Glad to be of service! Love to talk about one of my favourite places.

15. TZFan

Love to talk about a place I know nothing much about. Its fun to learn about another one of Canada's top zoos.