Join our zoo community

Attachment and media gallery upload restrictions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 1 Apr 2022.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As an anti-spam measure, I have implemented some new restrictions on uploading attachments and adding photos to the media gallery.

New members who have not been around long or posted much will not be able to upload.

This should not affect any existing users - but it may take some time for the system to update all user profiles to allow the uploads.

If you have previously been able to upload but now cannot, please let me know (you can post in this thread if you like) and I will invesigate.

JezP100, WAXIPEDIA, Mac and 10 others like this.
  2. robreintjes

robreintjes Member 5+ year member

Hello Simon, I can not upload anymore :(

3. Fat-tailed dwarf lemur

Fat-tailed dwarf lemur Well-Known Member

Hi Simon, I also can't upload any media :(.

4. Semioptera

Semioptera Member 10+ year member

My account is affected of these new restrictions. Please investigate. Either lift the restrictions or delete my account and photos all together. Thank you.

5. RonBurrgundy

RonBurrgundy Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hello Simon, I seem to be affected too as I can't find the add media button anymore.

6. Simon Hampel

As mentioned in my first post "New members who have not been around long or posted much will not be able to upload."

You'll need to post more before you can upload to the gallery.

Jedd Cullinan and IndianRhino like this.
  7. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

But I mean if someone's been around the community for this long surely they should be allowed to post no? Especially considering how the Semi's guy been on the site since 2014 with 500 or so media, I don't really see why you'd have to post when for some people there really isn't much they want to say.

jayjds2, birdsandbats, TNT and 2 others like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

The new restrictions are there for a reason - to prevent spammers. The restrictions apply to everyone equally.

The requirements to overcome the restrictions are not onerous.

FYI - you can also remove the restrictions without meeting the criteria by upgrading to premium membership - spammers don't tend to pay to post.

betsy and Jedd Cullinan like this.
  9. CarLarchameleon

CarLarchameleon New Member

Hello. Loving this website but haven't been here for a while. I think I might be affected by the changes and are unable to upload photos.

Appreciative of any assistance and again, loving the site.

10. Simon Hampel

Same as everyone else - you'll need to post more before you can upload more media.

11. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed, that's just pushing away valuable contributors (through media rather than posts) from the site.

12. robreintjes

robreintjes Member 5+ year member

I hoped that this was the case. Personally I think that posting more before you can upload again will lead to a sort of spam.

KatVet and RonBurrgundy like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

To be clear - when I wrote this, I was not taking into consideration people who have made a significant number of uploads, but only a few posts on the forum.

These new restrictions will affect users in this situation - they will have to make more posts on the forum before they can upload more media.

It's not an onerous restriction to surpass.

Jedd Cullinan and robreintjes like this.
  14. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I generally disagree with that. It may sound a bit harsh and judgmental, but I generally feel that the users who only post in the media section and never in the forums tend to be self-promoters who just want likes and compliments for their portrait photos of animals. If they actually wanted to discuss zoos and animals, why wouldn't they post in the forums from time to time?

Those who contribute with discussion-worthy exhibit photos tend to be equally active in the forums in my experience, so I don't think we're pushing many of those away. Those who do nothing else but only post portrait photos honestly don't contribute much to a zoo message board, though they could be valuable contributors to a photography message board which I assume also exist somewhere out in the big internet.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To add further clarification for those in this situation, posts and comments made within the media galleries are no longer included in total post-counts (whilst they were prior to the forum software changed in 2016) and therefore affected users need to post elsewhere on the forum.

As for the point made by Hvedekorn - there are quite lengthy discussions in the media gallery, although fewer since the aforementioned software update made keeping track of gallery comments and discussions significantly harder, so one cannot automatically assume that those primarily uploading photographs and commenting within the gallery have no interest in zoo discussion. See, for instance, the 10-page discussion on this media item:

Refurbishment of former Cheetah and Cassowary Enclosure - ZooChat

16. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe I should have my point a bit clearer - I believe that those who exclusively upload portrait photos - and never post in the forums - are mostly out for likes and compliments. Not those who also or primarily upload exhibit photos. I have uploaded plenty of exhibit photos myself and enjoy the discussion that can come with these.

Edit: Oh, now I get your point; that people who have made a lot of comments in the media section, but not in the forums, will be counted as having no posts. Now I agree it would be a shame if we sorted out those users, but to my earlier point, I believe that most users who seek discussion about zoos and animals will post in both the forums and the media section.

Last edited: 11 May 2022
    RonBurrgundy likes this.
  17. Jaguar_X

Jaguar_X Active Member

Hi Simon, I am somewhat new here, but I have uploaded photos in the past to Emerald Animal World and Nix asked me to add some photos yesterday, but I am sadly unable to.

18. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd recommend interacting on the forum more by commenting on some threads. Hopefully then you'll be able to post the images. It's a shame you can't currently, especially as the collection you speak of is underrepresented in the gallery! Thank you!

Jaguar_X likes this.
  19. Himimomi

Himimomi Member 5+ year member

Hello, I can't upload photos right now because I can't find the add media butto:(

Last edited: 4 Jun 2022
  20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Again, you need to post more. Maybe post something in the China forum, we really need more info from there :D ('I assume the required number is 10 or 15)

Himimomi likes this.