Join our zoo community

Attenborough's Ark: Natural World Special

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by RFindlater, 19 Nov 2012.

1. RFindlater

RFindlater Member

Who here saw the Natural World special featuring David Attenborough's choices for his personal ark? What did everyone think of it? I'm quite curious to see what everyone thought of his focus on little-known animals.

2. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

I quite enjoyed it, although I would have chosen some very different animals! I actually enjoyed the Attenborourgh: 60 years in the wild a lot more. I thought it was very enlightening to see all the advances and some of the old clips, and have since started to watch the old zoo quest videos which have also been uploaded on the BBC. A bit strange watching everything in Black and White but very interesting to see how much things have changed!

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I saw it this weekend. Awesome stuff. I did not know of the existence of quite a few of the species, so it was enlightening for me. You actually jumped the gun, because I was meaning to start a thread for reviewing documentaries this week.

4. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tracklist:

1. The black lion tamarin

2. The Sumatran Rhino

3. The Solenodon

4. The Olm

5. The Marvellous Spatuletail humming bird

6. Darwin’s frog

7. Sunda pangolin

8. Priam’s birding butterfly

9. Northern Quoll

10. Venus’s flower basket

I thought it was excellent, it was great to see footage of the new baby Sumatran rhino at Way Kambas, and I did not expect to see new film of olms and solenodons which was a real treat.

PS has anyone else seen an olm?

5. RFindlater

RFindlater Member

CambsVet: I saw the 60 years in the wild program and loved it too. It was really interesting to see how filming has advanced over all those years.

nanoboy: I was also unaware of so many of the species - I'd only heard of the Pangolin. I loved finding out about all the different species, I wish that there were more programs like it! Feel free to start that thread about documentaries - I opened this thread because I was curious about its focus on overlooked animals, which I can easily discuss on the "Too Ugly To Be Saved?" thread!

Pygathrix: It's amazing how they manage to get all this wonderful new footage just for the program. I haven't seen an olm but really want to after watching that!