Join our zoo community

Attendance At Australian Zoos & Aquariums

Discussion in 'Australia' started by snowleopard, 18 Aug 2009.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It took me quite some time, but by scavenging the internet I managed to compile a list of the average annual attendance at 15 zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks all around Australia. Many of the numbers are fairly accurate, give or take, as they were taken from the latest annual report. However, some of the numbers were found in newspaper articles and other links and I'm hoping that they are within a few thousand of the exact total.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the relatively low figures for both Adelaide and Monarto, as the giant panda circus arrives soon and I expect that those visitor numbers will at the very least DOUBLE in the first year. If anyone else has any other attendance figures for places with 100,000 visitors or more than feel free to let me know! For instance, Australia Zoo is one that I couldn't find any attendance figures for.

AUSTRALIAN ZOOS & AQUARIUMS

Annual Attendance:

Sea World (Gold Coast Australia) – 1.3 million
    Taronga Zoo – 1.2 million
    Sydney Aquarium – 1.2 million
    Melbourne Zoo – 1 million
    Melbourne Aquarium – 850,000 (including the boost from the penguins)
    Perth Zoo – 650,000
    Sydney Wildlife World – 600,000
    Adelaide Zoo – 400,000
    AQWA (Aquarium of Western Australia) – 400,000
    Mooloolaba Underwater World – 400,000
    Werribee Open Range Zoo – 310,000
    Healesville Sanctuary – 300,000
    Taronga Western Plains Zoo – 200,000
    Monarto Zoo – 120,000
    Alice Springs Desert Park – 100,000

steveroberts likes this.
  2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They're some very interesting figures...I'm especially surprised with Werribee Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary because they are higher then I expected. Sydney Wildlife World suprised me as well but now that I think about it there are so many tourists walkiing around Darling Harbour everyday that I'm amazed it's not higher.

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think TWPZ does well considering it's distance from Sydney and a population base of only 38,000.

4. Jarkari

I thought Sydney Wildlife World may have seen bigger numbers but that's still $12,000,000 just in admissions.

I have started wondering of late if admissions is just for general public or if it includes school groups and groups that come in after hours.

5. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

what have we learnt here?

people love aquariums.

dubbo would be the most popular open range zoo in australia if it wasn't in dubbo.

werribee would probably be the most popular zoo in australia if it had the collection and reputation dubbo had.

darling harbour is just way more convenient to japanese tourists that heallesville.

the smaller the city the higher percentage of visitors compared with population....

steveroberts likes this.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Many of the biggest and best aquariums are located on waterfront harbours in major cities, and thus aquariums are visited FAR more often by tourists than traditional zoos. Aquariums in Vancouver, Chicago, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Melbourne, Sydney, and countless other cities are within minutes of the downtown core of the city...while zoos are often outside the city and are sometimes in an hour away from the busy tourist hub. That's why aquariums are so popular, easy to see in a couple of hours, and are almost always more expensive than zoos.

Sydney Aquarium and Sydney Wildlife World are often viewed as a combo ticket, as they are directly right next to each other and owned by the same company. Those Darling Harbour attractions have over 1.8 million visitors a year, which makes them Australia's # 1 animal attraction if you count them as one entity. Location, location, location.

As I pointed out before, I'll be extremely interested to see what happens to the Adelaide Zoo numbers once the giant panda exhibit opens, and with Monarto's many improvements to its viewing boardwalks, chimpanzee habitat, and panda crowd from Adelaide I'm sure that the world's largest open-range zoo will also prosper.

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Something else about Sydney Aquarium - it's open until 10pm. If you're in Sydney on business, then in the evening you can wander down to the aquarium if you're looking for something to do.

:p

Hix

steveroberts likes this.
  8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know what the attendance figures are for Australia zoo?

9. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Snowleopard.

I'm quite surprised that Taronga and Melbourne are somewhat close in figures..... taking in consideration that Taronga is far larger than Melbourne.

steveroberts likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

You mean geographically?

Taronga is around 21 hectares in size, while Melbourne is actually 22 hectares.

Just FYI - Monarto Zoo is now 1450 hectares (world's biggest open range zoo) with the recent purchase of the neighbouring "Schubert's Farm".

Apparently African elephants at Monarto Zoo is back on the agenda with the new land they have available, but the cost is still prohibitive at this stage.

steveroberts likes this.
  11. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

WOW!! really???

I've only gone to Taronga once in 2006. And I still have the map, just seems a whole lot bigger.

steveroberts likes this.
  12. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... and also Mogo, Crocodylas and NZ&A. Unfortunately I can imagine that finding the figures from private collections would be near impossible.

steveroberts likes this.
  13. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This would be suprising, l cant see this fitting into a regional plan.

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

It says on there website they want them, Monarto zoo seem focused on African animals and with that much land it seems fitting for them

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, they have a definite African theme - it's part of their marketing.

steveroberts likes this.
  16. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but this got me thinking. It bodes well for both Mogo and Halls Gap: these are probably, along with TWPZ, the most isolated zoos in Australia in terms of population within their region. Both have about the same amount of people living within 100km as Dubbo does.

So... Is 35-40,000 people as a local market the lower limit of sustainability for zoos in Australia?

17. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is important to realise that Dubbo

1. is a political creation. It was originally planned for the western suburbs of Sydney, and got moved to Dubbo as part of a political deal.

2. has had and will continue to have a great deal of government support, both in terms of capital costs and operating subsidy.

I'm not sure any private investor would choose to put a zoo there.

Mogo is in the middle of a holiday coast and is one of the few "poor weather" attractions on that coast. Halls Gap - got to say the best word I have for their plans is "adventurous", of course I wish them good luck.

steveroberts likes this.
  18. Jarkari

I take back that statement. the population base for Dubbo is close to 200,000 people. I.e. there are around 200,000 people that rely on dubbo for something, rather than orange or bathurst which service populations of less than half this while being bigger cities.

It might be interesting for some to note that TWPZ first year attendances were 178,000 and a few hundred more. can't remember exact numbers.

The majority of visitors to Dubbo make the trek for the zoo, Locals are not as interested in visiting it as they once were.

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jarkari - what is the current visitation figure for TWPZ?

Interesting to note that in western Queensland, every [without exception] major tourist attraction reported peak visitation figures in it's first year of operation and gradually declining figures for each subsequent year.

20. Jarkari

I've heard, but don't quote me that Australia Zoo's attendances (in it's peak while Steve was around) averaged out to around 5,000 people each day. between $100,000 - $250,000 everyday in income not including retail and encounters.

Plus whatever they charge in rent for the caterers.

I have a feeling they wouldn't be doing this well at the moment but they are still very popular.