Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Elephants to leave

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nisha, 24 Nov 2020.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Confirmation today that Auckland will be discontinuing the Asian Elephant programme from mid 2021. This decision has been reached following the failed import of a second young female from Sri Lanka and the fact that they are unable to carry on further AI attempts (5 have been made so far and all have unsuccessful) on Anjalee due to Covid 19. They are currently working to find a suitable new home for both Anjalee and Burma as a pair

A very sad but completely understandable choice given the circumstances. The most likely place for them currently would be Dubbo? Melbourne don't have a breeding bull and aren't likely to have the space for two more female's until the herd move to Werribee in several years time.

Auckland Zoo announces decision to move elephants | Auckland Zoo News

Auckland Zoo has made the heart-breaking decision to move its two female Asian elephants Burma and Anjalee to a new home - to give them both the family herd they need for their long-term wellbeing.

“In 2011, Auckland Zoo with the support of Auckland Council, committed to building a sustainable elephant family herd in Auckland. But over the past five years, changing circumstances beyond our control mean that we are no longer in a position to give them the long-term future they need,” says Auckland Zoo director, Kevin Buley.

Read the full article here:
    Auckland Zoo announces decision to move elephants | Auckland Zoo News

2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

A great outcome for the elephants. I’ve been highly critical of AZ’s choice to keep cow elephants and no bull. Fingers crossed they move to Oz but hopefully not Sydney Zoo. Even temporarily, if Dubbo can accommodate them, that would be the best option for immediate breeding.

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is truly the end of an era as Auckland Zoo prepare to end their almost 100 year association with elephants, which began with the arrival of Indian elephant Jamuna in 1923.

However, I can't disagree this is in the best interests of Burma and Anjalee and the right course of action. One has to commend Auckland Zoo for putting the interests of their elephants ahead of their own.

4. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly where one door closes another opens, and Auckland Zoo has been vocal about wanting to bring hippos back. Given the elephant exhibit's close proximity to The Pridelands, I would say that this is a perfect spot to place a new hippo enclosure!

5. Zoofan15

That's a brilliant idea. I would love to see this happen. It's the perfect fit for the African precinct; and there's long been talk of fresh imports being on the cards in the not too distant future - most recently by Monarto Zoo.

The elephant exhibit (with the required modifications) could comfortably house a small to medium sized pod of hippopotami. Auckland Zoo will need to come off the bench with something big to replace their star attractions and hippos are surely a step in the right direction.

6. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ideally I would see underwater viewing as well as land-based viewing and perhaps a grazing area in the back for the hippos, maybe a statue nearby in tribute to Jamuna, Kashin, Burma and Anjalee? (Maybe some other iconic elephants that I have missed)

Antoine, Kifaru Bwana and driftaguy like this.
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With the new Elephant exhibit soon opening at Werribee, they could be integrated into the herd at Melbourne before heading to WORZ in 2023. Anjalee could still breed, and it would be reasonable to place into a breeding facility. Taronga, with two females, could another candidate, but that will rely on whether Taronga wish to continue holding Asian Elephants.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Zoofan15

The zoo's master plan mentioned building an underwater viewing window for hippos, so that would definitely be in the plans if they were to go that route.

I like the idea of a tribute to the elephants. The four you mentioned are among the most well known - followed by Rajah, who most people will associate with seeing at Auckland War Memorial Museum.

I'd like to see a tribute to all nine elephants if possible. It could take the form of a pathway with nine posts (with the name of each elephant on them). If it was considered to detract from the theming of the African precinct, it could be built in a different area of the zoo.

Auckland Zoo's nine elephants are as follows (years they were at the zoo in brackets):

0.1 Jamuna (Indian elephant) 1923-1965 (died)
    1.0 Rajah (Indian elephant) 1930-1936 (died)
    0.1 Kassala (Indian elephant) 1952-1957 (sold)
    0.1 Malini (Indian elephant) 1961-1971 (died)
    0.1 Ma Schwe (Indian elephant) 1968-1982 (died)
    0.1 Kashin (Indian elephant) 1972-2009 (died)
    0.1 Koru (African elephant) 1983-1983 (died)
    0.1 Burma (Indian elephant) 1990-
    0.1 Anjalee (Sri Lankan elephant) 2015-

9. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Based on Aucklands statement, a leading factor is placing her into situation with the immediate opportunity to breed naturally. She won't have that at Melbourne or Taronga as neither have a mature bull to mate with her.

Only Dubbo or Perth can provide that situation in the region. Dubbo seems the very obvious choice with multiple bulls and plenty of space, but I'm not so certain that Auckland won't be considering overseas zoos farther afield, particularly those in warmer climates where there is no PR issues.

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A bittersweet moment in Auckland Zoo's history. It will be sad that New Zealand will no longer have any elephants by 2021 but I agree 100% with the comments above; the zoo have shown great foresight in providing their elephants with the most enriching future possible. A very commendable decision.

Their website mentions the elephant enclosure will most likely be converted to join part of the African area:

11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An excellent idea also giving the region another holder!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whereas one is sad the elephants will leave, given the hassle to get another elephant from Sri Lanka (politics, animal welfarist lobby, bureaucracy, stagnant government-administration and top down decision-making - no-one takes responsibility Sri Lanka side) readily understandable.

Best decision yet is that the 2 elephants will enter a direct breeding situation in Australia and I would think the most logical place would be Taronga/Dubbo Zoos where they can be assimilated into their herd and allowed the breeding opportunities with a proven bull.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2020
    StoppableSan, Antoine and Zoofan15 like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Another possibility is that the zoo will use the space to develop the flamingo aviary they mentioned in the master plan. This could be done on an immense scale to showcase the zoo's impressive breeding flock of Greater flamingo - the only one in Australasia.

Tafin and Zorro like this.
  14. Jambo

Considering Gung bred at the age of seven for the first time, Man Jai could do the same next year as he will be seven as well.

Tbh, if it’s not Melbourne, than I think it’s most likely to be TWPZ. If the two females at Taronga follow, than Western Plains could have a large herd of 7 females (presuming they all get along well together).

15. Zorro

Having a combo Hippo/flamingo aviary would be wonderful ;)

Tafin likes this.
  16. Jambo

I would love to see Hippo’s back at Auckland. While it’s sad that Auckland will be losing its Elephants; replacing them with Hippos will certainly make up for it. If Auckland do decide to import Hippos, it would be a massive bonus for the region; with Monarto planning to import some as well.

StoppableSan and Zorro like this.
  17. Zorro

I would not be to surprised if one or two others were also interested ;)

18. Jambo

Oho. So Hippo’s could be making a return to Australian Zoos! :) That’s brilliant news. I wouldn’t be surprised if one was Altina.

19. Zorro

I believe it was mentioned on their website. At the end of the day it all depends on what happens with the IRA for importing them!

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Elephant bulls in their natural wilderness only start breeding at 22-25 years of age. A pre-pubescent elephant at 7 years of age (immature juvenile) is actually a tad preposterous to suggest for sound animal husbandry and management reasons. You only have to look at the EEP/EAZA expertise with breeding Asiatic elephants to know that a route like that is ill-advised (as is the current policy of letting cows be bare for 6+ years to have their next calves, given that cows in maturity only have a finite number of ovae for successful reproduction, so do not waste time ...).

Potentially, bulls are more mature at 10-12 years of age may breed, but they are still growing into their puberty. They should be around mature proven bulls by that time in order to experience and get to know what it takes to be an adult breeding bull able and accepted by the older cows and matriarch to mate. There is individual personalities here at play, also in the females, they may dislike their "chosen" breeding bull too.

What happens in captivity sometimes is the growing phase passes earlier due to actual overfeeding or protein rich diets ... Hence, some males have been known to breed earlier, but again let me underline it is not a wise nor sound policy to go down this route.