Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 9 Jan 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

exciting news!! It will be interesting to see/hear about the surrounding area (if there are any aviaries, wallabies, etc).

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure there won't be any wallabies (except in the existing walkthrough), but hopefully there will be an aviary or two, and the brolgas will be back.

3. zooboy28

The zoo map has been updated online to show the newly opened Tasmanian Devil enclosure - see here: http://www.aucklandzoo.co.nz/media/56804/auckland-zoo-map.pdf

It shows the path through the Aussie Walkabout and Lorikeet Aviary continuing through the Tasmanian Devil enclosure and joining back up to the Band Rotunda area, with the Brolgas still in their corner enclosure, although it is unclear whether they can be viewed from the path along the stream as they used to be - perhaps a new viewing area has been created? It appears that all the aviaries have been removed, although it is possible that the aviaries nearest the Lorikeet Aviary are still there (but I wouldn't count on it).

It looks like there is just a gap where the Chimpanzee cage was, so perhaps this will be used for Australian bird aviaries in the future? As it stands now, the number of on-display bird species at Auckland Zoo has been significantly reduced, and hopefully some more aviaries are built to remedy this.

4. zooboy28

Auckland Zoo has announced the arrival of a new serval in their newsletter:

Also, recent editions of the zoo magazine, including the current issue (with stories on the flamingo and bat babies, among others) are available to read online here: ISSUU - Auckland Zoo

5. Chlidonias

does anyone know where (and when) Auckland's male golden lion tamarin Janeiro came from? I'm guessing he was a surplus "retired" animal from Adelaide Zoo because that's where the two females had originated. I haven't been able to find a year of arrival at Auckland for him.

EDIT: found the info: he came from Adelaide Zoo in 2010.

Last edited: 31 May 2014
  6. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Source: Auckland Zoo - Auckland Zoo is closed

One of the tall trees by Pridelands has fallen over and seems to of done some damage.

7. Chlidonias

was this an extremely bad storm? Apparently the hides at Miranda were destroyed by the wind!

8. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quite bad. A truck was blown over on the Harbour Bridge and there was talk about it being closed down. The wind was so loud, kept me awake til about 5 in the morning. Windows smashed at the Henderson train station and trees have fallen onto roads all over Auckland.

I have found another article, which includes a video - Auckland Zoo closed by storm - Story - NZ News - 3 News

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. zooboy28

Annual Review of Zoo 2013-14

An overview of the successes at Auckland Zoo over the last year - nothing hugely exciting, growth in visitors pretty minimal. Perhaps the zoo should open something big soon to boost numbers....

Story here: Zoo numbers continue to grow | Stuff.co.nz

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male Lion, Ngala has been PTS at the age of 12 following unsuccessful treatment for a ruptured ligament

Auckland Zoo staff are mourning the loss of their only male African lion, who was euthanized this morning.

Twelve-year-old Ngala suffered from a ruptured ligament in his hind quarters 18 months ago and was struggling to recover. Surgery was not an option, due to the type of care that would be required afterwards.
    "Ngala also developed arthritis as a result of the instability in this leg," says zoo spokesperson Kate Orgias.

"In addition, his recent lameness further complicated efforts to aid his recovery."

Ngala's weakened state also meant he was more vulnerable to attacks from the zoo's female lions.

"The decision to euthanize Ngala was therefore made in the knowledge that his physical condition would not improve, and his overall welfare and quality of life could not be maintained," says Ms Orgias.

Ngala was one of four African lions at the zoo, and the only male in the pride.

He was one of two males to arrive at Auckland Zoo in 2003 from the Cango Wildlife Ranch in South Africa. The other lion, Lazarus, was transferred to Australia's Taronga Zoo in 2012.
    Auckland Zoo does not currently have any plans to import a new male, but may consider it in the future.

Auckland Zoo's male lion euthanized - Story - Environment/Sci - 3 News

12. zooboy28

The gardens will be rebuilt in Western Springs park, which borders Auckland Zoo.

Story here: Western Springs home to Japanese Garden | Stuff.co.nz

Its hard to imagine why they shortlisted the original Auckland Zoo site, now that it is within the new Tasmanian Devil enclosure. Perhaps they more generally shortlisted the Zoo, but the Park is a better place for it I think.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  13. Chlidonias

baby leopard tortoises have been busy hatching at the zoo. Facebook says six have hatched (doesn't say how many eggs total or if there are any still yet unhatched).

Auckland has the only breeders in the country, but offspring from those are found in several other zoos.

14. zooboy28

Auckland Zoo, in conjunction with Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium, is currently caring for three Sea Turtles (one green, two Hawksbill's):

Story here: Team effort for turtle trio in trouble

15. zooboy28

Auckland Zoo's Brolga pair have hatched another chick (this one a female!), according to the Zoo's Facebook page:

16. zooboy28

I visited Auckland Zoo earlier this week, for the first time in around 14 months. The only major development was the construction of the Tasmanian devil enclosures, but there are a few other changes too:

-The exhibits by the nocturnal house were largely empty, with the only species on display being the flying-foxes and the snake-necked turtle. No exotic birds at all.
    -I didn't really notice any change in the newer otter exhibit, the pool doesn't loo any larger to me.
    -The tuatara emerging from egg sculpture has disappeared from the Kid's Zoo, and that area seems duller than ever, although there has been an upgrade to the slides.
    -The lorikeet aviary looked good, still the same species as always I think, but good numbers of both species and individuals.
    -The Tasmanian devil enclosure looks brilliant. I saw a couple of devils in different areas, although views were obscured by the animals sleeping out of direct view. Impressively, the largest sign has the species scientific name in very large letters!
    -Unfortunately, all the aviaries in this area are now gone. All of them. The ones that lead out from the lorikeet aviary, the large cockatoo aviary, the lovebird aviary, all have gone. The very old aviary adjacent to the boundary wall, which had small finches & doves in it recently is still there, but totally off-display, and so I don't know if there are any birds left.
    -In total, there are now just a handful of exotic birds on display at Auckland Zoo - ostrich, emu, brolga, flamingo, eclectus parrot, sulphur-crested cockatoo, blue & yellow macaw, and the birds in the lorikeet aviary (rainbow lorikeet, musk lorikeet, zebra finch, masked lapwing, crested pigeon, king parrot, ringneck - I think). There was also a sign for North American wood duck, but I didn't see any. Extremely disappointing. That's probably a loss of half the exotic bird species in the last year or two. :(
    -The area where the aviaries were (except the cockatoo one) aren't actually within the footprint of the Tasmanian devil enclosure, and with the removal of the Japanese Garden there is now quite a heap of spare space, but its hard to see how that could ever go back on display.
    -The brolga chick is on display and looking well.
    -The Lizard Lane exhibits have been tidied up and look very good.
    -The meerkat exhibit walls have been extended, not sure if they have had issues there?
    -Te Wao Nui looked good, and there have been a few additions! In Islands, there are now Moko skinks on display, while the High Country reptiles now include Grand Skinks and Jewelled Gecko alongside the Otago Skinks. The area next to the Forest that used to be used for native species displays is now an interpretive centre for the zoo's conservation work on Rotoroa Island. There are also now Banded Rail in the Forest, while the Blue Ducks were off-display for breeding.
    -The hippo pool was completely drained for cleaning, its a good size really, although a mission to clean out - lots of wheelbarrows of muck in there!
    -The flamingo chick hatched this year was on display with the rest of the flock, visibly different and standing by itself.
    -There is now only one white rhino on display at a time, its a shame they haven't got the bachelor herd to work - means two males must be off-display always.
    -The giraffe paddock looks good, five giraffes plus zebra and ostrich!

So mostly good, although the losses in the exotic birds section is very sad.

17. zooboy28

It turns out they have!

Zoo subjected to escapes galore | Stuff.co.nz

I wonder if the new enclosure will see the meerkats relocated to Pridelands? I very much hope so!

18. zooboy28

RIP Scuttles

Sad news from Auckland Zoo, Scuttles, the male California Sea Lion, has been PTS. This just leaves Auckland with one California Sea Lion, the only one in the country.

19. Chlidonias

I wonder how long before there are none? The female Kipper was born in 1993 so she's not much younger than Scuttles.

20. zooboy28

Yes, it will really change the impact of the exhibit when Kipper goes. The Sea Lions are so much bigger and more interesting to watch underwater than the fur seals, so I think the popularity of the exhibit will decline. They should get some Hooker's in. Rescue ones of course.