Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 9 Jan 2014.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would very much favour for them to have a local pinniped species. Would constitute another great conservation story, even with rescuees. Hooker's would be a nice addition!

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

They do currently have New Zealand and Subantarctic Fur Seals on display (with the Californians). Having Hooker's Sea Lions on display would be amazing, but extremely unlikely to happen. The Department of Conservation seems to take a very dim view of having pinnipeds in captivity, and any rescue Sea Lions (which I doubt there would be very many of) are highly unlikely to go into captivity (although Auckland would be the only candidate for keeping them, despite being very far outside their natural range).

3. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Doris the Alligator has been moved to Ti Point Reptile Park and introduced to their male.
    Mazda helping drive Zoo conservation efforts

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't expect the zoo to bury him at Arlington but I'm dissapointed Auckland Zoo didn't bother to do a brief tribute to Scuttles on their website, considering he's spent 23 years at the zoo, and has been in every series of 'The Zoo.' All they post in the news section is promotions they're involved in, events they want us to come to, or conservation work they've contributed to. I don't even bother checking their website anymore.