Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Tygo, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Auckland's original stock of Borneans(2.2) came from Europe, from memory at least two of them(Horst & ?) from Frankfurt Zoo who at the time wanted to focus on just their Sumatrans. Now it seems history repeats itself.

Will Auckland retain the three Borneans they still have, alongside the incoming Sumatrans, or do they want to go out of them altogether?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think they are still looking for new homes for the Borneans, but I don't know for sure. I guess they will be looking for a home for all three together, which might be a tough sell given Wanita is a hybrid. I suspect a redevelopment will require the Orangs to move out of that area at least. The changes there will likely be massive, with little remaining of the current exhibits and surrounds.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the four original Bornean Orangutans were male Horst and female Dara, both born at Frankfurt and imported to NZ in 1983; female Indra born at Rotterdam, imported in 1983; and male Charlie born at Singapore, imported in 1984.

In 2001 Melur, Gangsa and Wanita came from Taronga Zoo, all three being females. Wanita is a hybrid, bred at Taronga. The other two are Borneans, and both were born in Hong Kong.

4. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for that information, I have added it to my Auckland orangutans blog/family tree site.

5. zooboy28

Exciting plant movements happening at Auckland Zoo! Plant relocations have been done for most of the recent large exhibits at the zoo, and are generally highly successful.

Story here: Plants move in

6. Chlidonias

I just noticed (a few posts ago on the zoo's Facebook page) that their female crested porcupine has died. The male has been moved out of the old kiwi house and is now in one of the meerkat enclosures (the meerkats have moved to a new enclosure).

7. zooboy28

Oh, that's unfortunate that the female has died. I hope they import more. I hope Nyack is also slated to move into the new Pridelands extension with the meerkats. I wonder what the plan now is for the old kiwi house and adjacent aviaries. I will check them out next month and see if anything is in there. I think that area could use a substantial overhaul, I'm still keen for a ring-tailed lemur exhibit to be built there.

8. zooboy28

The new Galapagos exhibit has opened at Auckland Zoo. It is a renovated version of the exisiting Galapagos tortoise exhibit, but with the grass largely replaced with a rocky surface, and a new, much larger, indoor hall, which is heated to 30 degrees C, with 80-90% humidity, year-round. This should provide better viewing during winter.

Story (and video) here: Auckland Zoo's Galapagos tortoises in new and improved habitat | Stuff.co.nz

9. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any idea if they have finally been able to assign their Galapagos tortoise to (former sub-)species level within the Chelonoidis complex?

11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's shame. They were trying to breed them as well a few years back.

I last visited in 2014 and really liked the Nocturnal Porcupine House. I thought it displayed them very well. They were never that inspiring in the meerkat enclosures.

12. Zoofan15

Where did they come from originally (in 1996)?

Are the zoo still trying to breed with them?

13. Chlidonias

I'm not sure if that would have been successful - last I heard Nyack was supposed to be infertile?

all four tortoises were hatched at Honolulu Zoo, and they were imported to Auckland Zoo in 1983. The Stuff article is misleading - the tortoises have moved out of their previous enclosure which they had been in since 1996, but that wasn't the year when they arrived at the zoo.

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So, the current stock are all progeny of Honolulu Zoo Galapagos Giants. Correct?

15. Chlidonias

yes, they have only the four Honolulu-bred animals imported in 1983.

16. Zoofan15

17. Chlidonias

oh, interesting.

Nyack went from Wellington to Auckland in 2008 - he was swapped for Auckland Zoo's male because he was supposed to be infertile and so they were going to instead try breeding the Auckland male with the Wellington female (Onion). That female Onion (who died this year) later also went from Wellington to Auckland, in 2010.

I think they are the only three porcupines Auckland has had in the 2000s.