Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Tygo, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

do you have photos of the wooden posts construction, and the bird tail sign? If you do you could post them as attachments on this thread (if they aren't good enough to put in the gallery).

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Chlidonias

that's really interesting, and definitely they are talking about Common Hippo because they mention underwater viewing. I do agree with others here though, that Pigmy Hippo would be a better choice.

4. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are a few photos of the Aussie Walkabout construction; sorry for the delay in posting them and for the quality of the images! :eek: The first picture is the sign at the entrance of the wallaby/emu exhibit showing some animals that are likely to be in the development; the second and third show the large wooden posts I talked about earlier in the thread, and the fourth image shows some supplies and plants for the development. Any ideas to what those wooden poles could be for? :)

Attached Files:

5. Chlidonias

cool, thanks. The animals on the sign are Lace Monitor (leg and tail), Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, and down the bottom a Snake-necked Turtle's head.

I have no clue what the log uprights are going to become!

6. ZooBoyNZ

Thank you for the species clarification. I thought it was a Snake-necked turtle down the bottom of the sign :D but I wouldn't have got the red-tailed black cockatoo! At first glance, I thought the wooden poles might have been for an aviary but now I realize there are too many of them, they're too close together and the zoo uses steel poles for their aviary's now; so absolutely no idea what they could be for.

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That's good the Red-tailed Black Cockatoos are going back on show, although presumably their new aviary won't be as big as the old one.

8. Kokakola11

Kokakola11 Member

I can say with confidence that Tieke (North Island Saddleback) will be introduced to the Forest at Te Wao Nui sometime in the next month, likely 12th September.

9. ZooBoyNZ

One of Auckland Zoo's male rhinos, Mtoto; flew out to his new home at Altina Wildlife Park today. Here is an article from this morning; taken from Auckland Zoo's website.

10. Chlidonias

exciting news (and, relatively speaking, there's not often a lot of exciting bird news from New Zealand zoos). The zoo now has saddleback on display.
    The sweet sound of conservation success

11. Nisha

So is there any update on whether Auckland will be importing/receiving female Rhinos again following the departure of Mtoto?

12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not 100% sure if they'll be receiving new females, but Orana Wildlife Park are receiving a male white rhino from Auckland Zoo soon, most likely Zambezi as he is a proven breeder and Orana have three females that have had issues breeding in the past. I doubt they'd combine these females with an inexperienced breeder like Inkosi.

This move would leave Inkosi at Auckland Zoo. I wouldn't be surprised if Moesha (1994) and Jamila (2012) then moved from Hamilton Zoo to breed with Inkosi.

Moesha has had two calves with Kruger now, and Jamila is Kruger's daughter and will require relocation as she reaches maturity in the next couple of years.

Moesha failed to breed with Zambezi during his time at Hamilton Zoo, so it's unlikely they'd be paired again.

There's still a lot of unknowns in rhino breeding, including whether or not females (especially related females) suppress each other's reproduction. If they were confident this could be addressed at Orana, they might even consider relocating Moseha and Jamila there for breeding and sending the two older Orana females (that are highly unlikely to breed) to Auckland Zoo to form a non breeding herd with Inkosi. This would allow Orana to hold a breeding herd of four females and two or more breeding males (with the aquisition of Zambezi).

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  13. Nisha

Imani and Inkosi are full siblings - the exchange of Kruger and Zambezi took place just before she was born

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Correction: the exchange took place when Imani was almost two months old. Imani was born March 2007; Kruger and Zambezi were exchanged in May 2007. :D

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Kokakola11

Kokakola11 Member

The saddlebacks aren't actually on display yet. they have been in quarantine for the past week and will be properly welcomed tomorrow. It is either 8 or 10 birds and they will go into the forest aviary.

18. Chlidonias

four saddleback have been released into the walk-through aviary. The following link is a video, so may or may not play for overseas viewers.
    New release for Auckland Zoo

19. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I'm a massive fan of the zoo. I like to update on the Aussie Walkabout renovation, as I was at the zoo yesterday.
    1) The poles (sadly with no proof/photos) is one of the two new aviaries to house the Australian birds.
    2) There is this greenhouse looking building but with metal walls between the original aviary and the new built wooden poles aviary. No idea what its for, but my guesses are that it's for the lizards and freshwater turtles.
    3) Can't see anything that resembles a wombat enclosure yet, or I just can't see it through that glass window.
    Everything else looks about right. Hope it's completed by February 2017 :)

20. ZooBoyNZ

Welcome to the forums! I am also a massive fan of Auckland Zoo. Thanks for the update on the development; will be interesting to see how it looks when complete. I think the monitor lizards need an indoor display house as well as an outdoor exhibit so that could explain the 'greenhouse' looking thing. I assume that you are referring the master plan which was updated 2014. I don't have a more recent version (allthough I would really like one!) but the 2014 plan for the Australian area doesn't really match up with the construction and placement of the Tasmanian devil exhibit. Did you see any sign of perhaps the main Aussie Walkabout part with the emus/wallabies being turned into a walkthrough aviary? Becaue that is in the 2014 master plan. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out! :)