Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooNZ, 7 Jan 2018.

1. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This week Auckland Zoo’s “Pridelands” animals (giraffe, zebra, ostrich, rhinoceros, nyala) are off display while work is talking place on their exhibits.

The rhinoceros and nyala paddock is being extended to include the former hippo exhibit (which has been empty for a while now) with access to a watering hole. I posted some photos on the previous page of what this was looking like during my visit last month. They are hoping it will be completed this weekend in time for the school holidays.

The reason the rest of the Pridelands animals are off display is because I believe they are making modifications to the fence that separates the giraffe and rhino paddocks. The zoo said on Facebook that the plan is to have the zebra, ostrich, nyala and guinea fowl able to access the entire space but still keep the rhinos and giraffes confined to their own exhibits - this will apparently be an outcome the keepers will be working towards (similar to how in the early days of the Pridelands exhibit the springbok could choose to be in with the rhinos or giraffes - not sure why they ended up patching the holes in the fence).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  3. ZooBoyNZ

Here is a video I made of what the old hippo exhibit looks like now if anyone is interested. :)

kiang, Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  4. Jambo

Great video ZooBoy NZ!

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  5. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've just noticed this on the zoo's Southeast Asia page.

Kifaru Bwana and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any further news regarding the importation of another female elephant?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't believe there's been any progress on importing this elephant, which was initially due to arrive in 2016.

Since they're planning to breed from Anjali (born 2006) through AI, perhaps they will give up on importing a new female and just breed from her instead.

Regarding the lemurs, the last I heard the plans were to build a walk through/interactive exhibit near the zoo's entrance. From memory this was due to be completed around 2021.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Jambo

A baby spider monkey has been born to Toque and Brianna on Aug 10

9. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Based off Auckland's recent past and present behaviour on this issue, I am convinced they have no serious interest in breeding elephants and should never have been granted a permit to import the most recent one.

10. Zoofan15

Things may have changed but I do believe they were keen to do AI with Anjali (born 2006), who arrived in 2015. They planned to start this around 2 years after her arrival so she may even be pregnant by now (and they haven't announced it)?

11. Jambo

Which male will they use to AI her?

12. ZooBoyNZ

The zoo recieved two male lions from Wellington Zoo today; Malik and Zulu who were both born at Auckland Zoo 14 years ago!
    Here is the news article from their website. There is also going to be a news segment about their arrival on 7 Sharp tonight.

Jambo, Chlidonias and driftaguy like this.
  13. Jambo

Thats amazing news. They haven’t breed at Wellington zoo in a bit. I wonder if they’ll be used to breed at Auckland. They are fairly old males.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Malik bred when they went on loan to Orana though

If you read the article on the zoos website - they're planning for another breeding pride. With young females to be sourced within a 2 year time frame. New male/s after that

Zulu and Malik are just filling the exhibit whilst those plans are put in place. So they might return to Wellington or they might stay in Auckland for the rest of their days. I think a lot of it will depend on there health by the time Auckland's new imports arrive. They may not be well enough to travel in two years time.

Jambo likes this.
  15. Jambo

In news from the zoos facebook page today:

- the cotton top tamiran male twins have been named; Tito ( meaning blessed and honoured) and Monito ( little monkey in spanish)

- the zebra, ostritch and nyala have been introduced allowing the zebra, ostritch, nyala and peafowl to roam through the rhino and giraffe exhibits while still keeping the giraffe and rhino separate. The introductions have proved successful. A link is here-Auckland Zoo

16. Nisha

Big news - later this week Auckland will receive their first female White Rhino in 14 years. Six year old, Jamila (bMarch2012) is moving up from Hamilton. She is unrelated to Inkosi and Zambezi despite all three having originated from the Hamilton herd

Rhino Jamila is on the move to Auckland | Auckland Zoo News

Jambo, Zoofan15, ZooBoyNZ and 2 others like this.
  17. Zoofan15

I think they've timed this well considering female White rhinoceros can give birth as young as 7 years old. White rhinoceros don't usually breed when kept in a 1.1 pair so I assume the plan is to import a second female (and export one of the males) so Auckland Zoo will then hold a herd of 1.2.

In my opinion, they should send one of Auckland Zoo's males to Orana Wildlife Park; or send Kruger (and Imani) to Orana Wildlife Park and send one of Auckland Zoo's males back to Hamilton Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.
  18. Nisha

Jamila's transfer has been postponed. She didn't want to go in the crate on moving day. They'll try again once she's had a bit more practice

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

‘Molek’, the female Sumatran Tiger has passed away.
    Auckland Zoo

Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.
  20. Jambo