Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo visit JULY 2005

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nigel, 5 Aug 2005.

1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo the other week , and am pleased to say that it is still a very good zoo .
    The entrance had changed , and there was a new education centre . The old elephant house had been converted into a conference centre .
    There is now a small factory in the zoo that produces zoodoo from animal manure and whatever clippings are too small for elephant browse . I think the idea of the zoodoo manufacturing plant is a good one , bit I feel it should be sited on the edge of the zoo backing out into the road .

Although there were no new species that I can recall , there is alot more vegetation and gardens , and they are starting to give the zoo more of a natural rustic look with bars/concrete being phased out as much as possible .

There were no negative points , apart from my personal ideas .

The elephants were being used to help build/create their own behavioural stimulation frame that holds baskets of hay which they can eat , but it takes a little bit of patience to get out of the baskets . The keeper was riding them like a mahout would do .

I will send photos to Sim as soon as I get them developed for inclusion on this site . It is definately worth the admission fee ( I think it was NZ$12.00)