Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoos New Elephant Exhibit

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZYBen, 24 Jul 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I just saw an ad on animal planet for a new exhibit at Auckland, Elephant Plains, home to Kashin and Burma, if any one has any other info please post.

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i have seen that as well benny, i dont no if same, but i have jsut seen an add for animal planet support for the eles?

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

is says animal planet is sponsoring Elephant Plains

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

wasn't there a post a bout this earlier? animal planet are sponsoring the auckland exhibit - they are not building a new one, they probably just coined a new name try to make it sound exciting....

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Auckland elephant exhibit

Too bad none of you know what the previous elephant enclosure was like at Auckland Zoo ( read ; pokey and pathetic ! ) - or maybe , just as well !
    But I can confirm that there are currently no plans to enlarge or even change the current elephant exhibit in itself , even if the name changes ( which often happens if there is a major sponsor )
    There is provision to extend it in the case of new elephants arriving by whatever means ( and I still havent heard back from the zoo on this question ) but at this point of time , I think that we can assume the status quo with Auckland housing the two ( relatively docile ) female Asiamn elephants , Kashin and Burma .

There is a possibility that I will visit the zoo again this coming Spring . I will ask for any/all questions and I will pose them to zoo staff when I visit in person .

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Would anyone know if any atempt at breeding the two cows at Auckland zoo is going to be made at this time?, they were interested in breeding them a while back I heard, maybe ship them to Aust!.

7. Zoo_Boy

no idea, but from my understanding, they were going to get gung, as with another female, when tht female became un able to work with, she was sent back to a sanctuary, and they pulled out, so taronga took gung, from my understanding it was either heman being kept, as he is viable, and/or A1

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Why dont they just bring the younger female to oz for breeding

9. Zoo_Boy

well that would be the best option, but they just spent as much on there new ele exhibit as melb and taronga, and if they move 1, the othe rwould have to go as well, so i think do Ai or just let them be

10. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

A couple of years ago when Perth zoo were strating to consider breeding their elephants, they had an agreement with Auckland that if a bull calf was born, he would eventually go to Auckland.

11. Zoo_Boy

they woudl be great, but by the time he is mature, wouldnt the other girls in nz b 2 old

also isnt the eldest there close to 40 0r 50

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The younger female might still be of breeding age, hope they dont leave it much longer.

13. patrick

over th eyears we have covered nearly every possible topic and scenario regarding elephants, and this particular subject is no exception.

i have no idea if auckland have done fertility tests to definately conclude that their younger cow is viable. unless they have and are sure she isn't, then i think its fair to say that auckland have been pretty slack when it comes to getting on board with the elephant breeding program. ideally, the zoo should never have pulled out of their import plans and aquired another cow and a bull, but inlight of that not happening i think they really need to look at Ai with one of the australian bulls.i think there is absolutely no chance that auckland will send their elephants to australia, not even tempoarily.

Zoo_Boy, you state that heman is reproductively viable. where did you find that out? can you tell us more?

14. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I can add a little about Heman's fertility. Earlier this year, the German elephant AI team were at Dubbo, and they collected semen from Heman to inseminate one of the cows at Perth. Fertility and motility were both good, but unfortunately, motility was extremely low by the time the semen was flown to Perth Zoo, and in fact, it was not used during the insemination.

15. Zoo_Boy

i actually didnt even no that, though i am sure it was the same ppl who did all the rhinos, they do everything while they are around, they even took some from dora, and if i am to believe he is a ok

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I had read on the net that a zoo in Israil had used chilled semen from a bull elephant kept at the Whipsnade zoo (London zoo counrty zoo) in England and later had a calf, so this does have some merrit for zoos without males.

17. patrick

a premature decision and a wasted opportunity...

thanks for that important info zoopro.

but i have to admit, the fact that heman is fully fertile, and that there are transportation issues arising, just strengthens my long-standing argument that taronga made a dumb premature decision in moving heman and burma to dubbo. hes an old guy, but there is definately an opportunity here for him to make a very valuable contribution before he departs the scene and i'm afraid that opportunity might not be taken up.

burma would have most definately have appreciated (and i would argue deserved) the pleasure of living out her last years with a more naturalistic environment of female company.

heman on the other hand would have provided the zoo instant breeding opportunities with the two older thai cows who are at present ready to breed but are awaiting for an immmature bull to come of age..

kinda a bit of a waste dont ya think?

18. Zoo_Boy

well dah its taronga lol, anyway i would never mo ve them back, you wouldnt no them 2 now, they are so happy guys, at least 1 good decision has been made

19. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i think that the best decision was made at the time.
    from a welfare point of view the two older elephants now at wpz are much better off-as suitable as taronga's new facility is and the second development in the future i think one of the most important factors is that the elephants can be taken outside and exercised. this would not have been an option with heman or burma.
    also, as heman is quite old, was it even suspected that he was still fertile? the best option here wold be to preserve some of his semen. and finally, why would taronga's planners modify a multi $ elephant enclosure to accomodate an animal who at best will be around for another ten years??? when ever heman was introduced to burma before, he used to beat her up and until taronga builds the new bull area there is no place for a 'mature' bull at taronga who cannot be socalised with the females.
    i really think the best place for heman is at wpz, and would invite people who are against this to perhaps visit the zoo first...

20. patrick

i don't for a second doubt that hemans enclosure at WPZ is good glyn, so thanks but i'll pass on your offer to visit first.

i don't think stating that the taronga enclosure being unsuitable is a very valid excuse. since taronga designed and built it to suit their priorities, any issues arising from lack of flexibilty with elephant hunsbandry and management (such as housing a mature bull and recognising certain animals may need separation) is entirely their own fault.

its not that i belive heman is not better off at dubbo than he was in the old taronga exhibit, i'm saying that the decision not to integrate the existing animals (and design the tarionga exhibit to make this an option) with the new thai animals has potentially missed a valuable opportunity.

their is no reason why a similar scenario such as that of melbournes couldn't have been applied here. especially since gung, at this stage, can live happily with the cows...