Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoos tiger dies...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by patrick, 14 May 2006.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo tigers

I hope that the zoo makes use of this time to at least make improvements to the tiger enclosure , if not build a completely new one . It is one of the last of the original "pit" enclosures , and although it has been enlarged , it still is not very well designed for Sumatran tigers

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yes yes i agree, but what else would you house in there without major renovatins, i say, just demolish the whole pit, but then the zoo will lose room. I cant really see the exhibit being converted but i woudl like it to be, (i know its wrong but i like pit exhibits, esspecially as noce as that one)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member

It is unfortunate that some of the best enclosure designs from an observation point of view are not the best designs for the animals.

Then again, I guess zoos are not the best places for animals anyway - better they were in the wild, where it is much more difficult to view them (or conserve them !).

I quite liked the pit enclosure at Auckland Zoo - it gave a new perspective on the animals which I hadn't seen before ... got a much better view of them (especially at feeding time when they made the tiger climb a tree to get the food).

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

tiger enclosure

perhaps the zoo could camouflage the viewing areas somewhat , so the people can still peep in and observe the tiger from behind thick vegetation or something
    --- but wont be in full view of the tiger/s . I wonder if this will help in animal behavior enrichment , if the tiger can hear and smell the people , but have a harder job seeing them ?