Join our zoo community

Austin Aquarium Austin Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheOnlineZoo, 14 Sep 2013.

1. TheOnlineZoo

TheOnlineZoo Well-Known Member

2. TheOnlineZoo

TheOnlineZoo Well-Known Member

The Austin Aquarium opened today, and I visited this morning.

As expected from the size of the building, it was relatively small (although I've been in three others that were smaller), but it was laid out very nicely. Some of the comments I've read about the Idaho Aquarium compared it to a pet store, but the Austin Aquarium was nothing like that. Several of the exhibits were still empty (some in quarantine, others waiting for the permits to come through), but they had a decent amount of stuff and a nice variety.

There were a LOT of staff members working the floor. All of them were very friendly, and several that I talked to were biologists. I assume the quantity (and perhaps experience) of the staff on the floor in the future will decline, but they are working hard to make a good first impression.

I'm not excusing any of the activities of either of the Covino brothers in Idaho or Oregon, but I will say that they seem to have learned from past mistakes and are trying to do better in Austin.

In summary, I'll say that this aquarium will never make anyone's "must see" list, but it was better than I expected it to be. I think it will be fine for families and field trips, and that is probably their target demographic anyway.

You can see photos of a few of the animals here:
    The Online Zoo - Austin Aquarium

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

4. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2023 News:

On April 2nd, the zoo announced that they acquired a (0.0.1) American Pekin duck named Bubbles, a (0.0.1) magpie duck named Buzz, and a (0.0.1) Swedish Blue duck named Blue.

Meet the newest additions to the Austin Aquarium family! Check out this video and more on our TikTok page: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRcMQXvB/ We... | By Austin Aquarium | Facebook
    Austin Aquarium

On January 16th, the zoo announced that a (1.0) ring-tailed lemur named Cay/Cayenne was born and is now on exhibit

Austin Aquarium
    This little guy turned 1 month old and he finally has a name!!! His mom Pepper would like to introduce you to…..Cayenne aka Cay!! Come in and see him... | By Austin Aquarium | Facebook