Join our zoo community

Australasian African Lion Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 7 Aug 2021.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is interesting, but I guess just luck. Monarto wanted males available and the trio of Nilo's eldest cubs were available so they took them. Then, Taronga needed males so it made sense to send her latest boys from her youngest litter, instead of shifting Nairobi's sons at Melbourne and then moving the youngest boys to Melbourne in their place, it made more sense to send Nilo's sons.

I'm wondering whether this will influence future breeding with Werribee's females. Nilo has a daughter within the pride, and they may be looking to not breed from Nilo due to her representation and instead continue her line at the zoo through her daughter.

Tigergal and Patrick Keegan like this.
  2. Jambo

It's very exciting news as Dubbo has the space to hold a large female pride in the future. I can see them building up a large pride much like Monarto's.

akasha, Tigergal and Patrick Keegan like this.
  3. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Very exciting news! The cubs are all female which is really great news as well!

I'm so happy to see one of the San Diego girls has finally bred, I've been waiting for cubs from Evelyn or Marion for quite some time! Marion and Evelyn's mom Oshana, and their aunts Mina and Etosha have all passed away recently so it's really heartwarming to find out Oshana is a grandmother again!

I'm hoping Evelyn has a litter of cubs soon as well so that the cubs grow up in a large pride similar to SDZSP's pride back when Mina and Oshana both had cubs in 2007.

Matt_C, Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They will definitely breed with Nilo. She's a founder and her offspring via the new male will be more valuable than her daughter's will be. Plus it replicates the wild social order of females synchronising cubs, which Werribee have the space to accommodate.

Patrick Keegan and Jambo like this.
  5. Jambo

The cubs were born on the 7th of April. An instagram post detailed there was also a fourth cub which was unfortunately stillborn.

We're brimming with pride to announce the birth of a trio of lion cubs on 7 April! This is the first litter of cubs born to new breeding pair, Marion and Lwazi, introducing an important new genetic line for the regional breeding program.

The three female cubs are behind the scenes with Marion, a beautifully attentive and nurturing mother. They are very healthy and meeting all their milestones.

As a first-time mother, Marion did experience some complications during the birth. After delivering two healthy cubs, she required medical assistance after keepers observed her continuing to have contractions, but with no further cubs born.

Thanks to close monitoring of the birth via CCTV, Keepers in consultation with our expert veterinary team decided to intervene and perform a caesarean, where one more cub was sadly found stillborn, while another was successfully recovered.

Within a few hours of the surgery, Marion was reunited with her three healthy cubs and her incredible mothering instincts kicked in. She set about ensuring all three cubs were clean and suckling, and neither she nor they have looked back since.

The cubs will spend their first few months of life behind the scenes bonding with mum, where they will gradually be introduced to Lwazi. They’ll also have their first health checks and vaccinations in the coming weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdHbh23PlJA/

6. Zoofan15

When I emailed the zoo, they said both females were off contraception. Marion was pregnant at the time, though they didn't mention that! Understandable given the usual practice is to announce births several weeks in.

Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  7. Zoofan15

An interesting note that Marion underwent a cesarean. Lions have two uterine horns and following Kiamba's cesarean in 2007, she only had one or two cubs each time (despite large litters running in her maternal line). My theory is the cesarean damaged one of the uterine horns, halving her capacity to carry cubs. Just a theory that will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future with this lioness.

Tigergal, steveroberts, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  8. Jambo

The male cub has officially been named ‘Roc’.

The name reflects a mythical bird aligning his name with his brother’s, Phoenix.

Source, social media.

9. Zoofan15

It’s been an exciting start to the year with this male cub joining the litter at Monarto (2.1 surviving) and the litter at Dubbo (0.3 surviving) as one of three litters to kick off 2022.

Upcoming litters could result from the pairings of Mlinzi and Nairibi at the National Zoo; Lwazi and Evelyn at Dubbo; and Sheru and Nilo/Asali at Werribee.

10. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dubbo have such a great opportunity with this all female litter to keep a multi generational pride now, I really hope they make the most of it. The exhibit is certainly big enough, and it would be amazing to see a large, more naturally structured pride living in it.

TNT, Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and 3 others like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Due to being well represented through their paternal line, I doubt they’ll be a rush to transfer them out of Dubbo for breeding; but bringing in a new male to combine with their valuable genes from their maternal line is highly likely imo.

Evelyn and Marion are eight years old this year, so Lwazi’s tenure as head of the pride may be quite short if they want to achieve a multigenerational pride.

A new male would ideally be introduced to the daughters, while their mother and aunt are still cycling and receptive to the new male. Monarto left it too late and were unable to integrate the older lionesses.

12. Zoofan15

Melbourne Zoo - African Lion History

Melbourne Zoo’s last litter of African lion cubs were born 31/12/2000 and descended from the following matrilineal line: Jaquelin (1974) > Juliana (1986) > Jespah (1990).

————————————

Juliana

0.1 Juliana (20/12/1986) Aristotle x Jaquelin

Juliana produced two litters at Melbourne Zoo:

Litter One: 0.2 born 06/09/1990 (Gopha and Jespar) Sire: Tsavo

Gopah and Jespar remained at Melbourne Zoo, before being transferred to Werribee Open Range Zoo.

Litter Two: 0.2 born 12/09/1992 (Mafuta and Manzi) Sire: Kruger

Mafuta and Manzi were transferred to Perth Zoo.

———————————

Jespar

0.1 Jespar (06/09/1990) Tsavo x Juliana

Jespar produced two litters at Melbourne Zoo:

Litter One: 2.0 born 20/07/1999 (Jasiri and Maalo) Sire: Tsavo

Jasiri was transferred to Taronga Western Plains Zoo; while Maalo was sent to Adelaide Zoo.

Litter Two: 5.1 born 31/12/2000 (Askari, Chaka, Harare, Moja, Zuri and Jarrah) Sire: Tsavo

Askari, Chaka, Harare, Moja and Zuri remained at Melbourne Zoo; while Jarrah was transferred to Werribee Open Range Zoo.

——————————

Additional notes/info:

Jespar’s only daughter, Jarrah (2000), never bred; but this line survives in the region through Jespar’s grandaughter, Kiamba (2004). Kiamba has two surviving offspring, Mlinzi (2013) and Makena (2013).

Melbourne Zoo no longer breed lions due to a lack of space. They currently hold two brothers, born 2016 at Werribee Open Range Zoo.
    Aaaaas

13. Jambo

Maalo died in 2006 at Adelaide. Jasiri in 2014 at Dubbo.

Askari apparently died at around 12 months of age. His condition had been deteriorating for a while and he was euthanised in the end. Not sure what he had specifically, but he was losing his balance and generally not doing very well.

Tsavo's skeleton is displayed at Werribee, next to a research hut. He died in 1999? I think it said something along the lines of that on the box he's in, and I remember he was born in 1984.

In regards to death dates, I believe Moja died sometime during 2010. Juliana died shortly before the move to Melbourne, in around 2002. Jespah died shortly after the move to Werribee and then Gopah died in 2008.

Jarrah was introduced to Tonyi and Tombo shortly after Gopah's death, and breeding was hoped for but unfortunately she never conceived.

14. Zoofan15

Melbourne Zoo History Continued:

Tsavo and Kruega were brothers. They came to Melbourne Zoo in 1988 from Bullen’s Lion Park and were introduced to the zoo’s three lionesses - Jacquelin, Autumn and Juliana.

Jacquelin was the dominant female and was especially fiery during the introductions. It was filmed as part of a doco and her aggression was attributed to her protectiveness of the other lionesses (her daughters); but given her age (14 years), she would have likely ceased cycling, making her less receptive.

The five lions were fully integrated by the beginning of 1989 and were involved in the fatal attack on an intruder in their exhibit in March of that year. He entered the exhibit at night, apparently planning to execute karate moves on the lions, but was unsurprisingly killed.

Tsavo couldn’t have died in 1999, as he sired offspring born December 2000. This source notes he was around 15 years old, which would place his death around late 2000 if he was born 1984. I found this photo of his skeleton, which interestingly notes he was de-clawed in anticipation for life in the circus.

Tsavo (Panthera leo):
    upload_2022-5-9_16-31-19.jpeg
    Photo source: Small Animal Talk: Links roundup: Hendra virus, aquarium fish, respiratory physiology, luxury dog boarding and phodography

15. Zoofan15

Werribee Open Range Zoo Update:

The new male lion, Sheru, has met the mother and daughter lionesses, Nilo and Asali.

From Facebook:

Introductions have begun between Sheru and the two lionesses, Nilo and Asali, at Werribee Open Range Zoo - the first step to a possible litter of cubs for the species classified as Vulnerable in the wild.
    After sparking the girls attention for a moment, the girls decided to have a relaxing lie-down instead.

This statement indicates their intention is to only breed from one of the lionesses initially, which is a shame as I hoped they’d replicate the wild situation by allowing them both to breed.

Presumably the lioness breeding will be Nilo. Aside from turning 10 years old in March, she’s more valuable genetically as a founder within the regional population. From here, they may alternate breeding from Nilo and Asali as they previously did with Nilo and Nairibi.

Tigergal, akasha, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jambo

Yes, that's the plan.

I may also note the lions are being displayed in the back enclosure, possibly because Sheru hasn't settled into the front enclosure as of yet. On some occasions, Werribee have also been keeping Sheru with Nilo as just a pair, with Asali off display; presumably allowing them to mate.

I'd find it likely to see Asali given a chance to breed this time next year. She'll be six years old, and by the time she gives birth, Nilo's cubs will be around the age of one; much similar to what Werribee did before with Nilo and Nairobi.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

From the video it’s very clear the lionesses are in charge. They’ve reached a point where they’ve formed a cohesive pride, but leading up to this there would have been one on one introductions like you described to allow the lionesses to accept him. Together, they’d be more fired up - especially if Nilo was acting protectively of Asali.

I’d say that seems likely re. Asali breeding next year. Werribee are unusual within the region in that they planned their litters a year apart each time. The risk of injury to the new cubs from the yearling cubs would be significantly higher than if they cubs were born into a pride of adults; or the litters were born simultaneously as occurs in the wild. Since felids don’t learn by observation, it offered no educational benefit to the older cohort each time either.

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  18. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

I made a similar question in the giraffe thread, but what is the purity/subspecies (if there is any) for the Lions in Australia? I’m aware “African” is a name sometimes used for zoomix lions which can be deducted to be from the southern clade/subspecies (Krugeri, Massaica, Roosevelti, Beylenberghi and Vernayi) due to their characteristics, so is that the case here?

Patrick Keegan and steveroberts like this.
  19. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Randomname0183 Very much the case here, 'African Lion(s)' has been used as the identifying name for the vast majority of publicly displayed Lion individuals in Aus & NZ for at least the last 30+ years (we had Asian Lions at the two Tarongas from the late 80s to 2002-Taronga Sydney on an off between '93-'99) that were actually of (probably multiple) African subspecies admixtures in their background too. Lots of brilliant minds amongst some of our members have worked really hard over the years coming up with as much origin background tracking on many of the individual Lions in the region past and present and as far as am aware the only Lions in the region whos origins can be fully accounted for are the Timbavati White Lions being completely southern clade (krugeri identified until recently if remember correctly, now melanochaita). Believe our aforementioned hard researching comrades have found that many of our regions Lions have former circus owned ancestors of impossible to trace origins.

PS: Specifically can remember at Perth Zoo and Taronga Zoo the 'African Lions' were latin/scientific name accompanied by the generic Panthera leo label with no further specifications as to their possible (former or current) subspecies (though do seem to remember Taronga Sydney tried to identify some of their Lions around the early 2000s on their website as senegalis/West African but believe this was debunked, shown to be an import glitch, also have learned on here that those very same Lions came from other zoos like Mogo and would assume had forebearers of unrecalled origins).
    Sorry for the long reply

Last edited: 3 Jun 2022
    Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  20. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

No matter, it’s an interesting subject overall. The Asian lions in Taronga I was aware of, but it should be noted that most white lions outside of South Africa (aside from direct imports) are sometimes suggested to be hybrids of the southern subspecies, however I haven’t seen much backing for this either.

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.