Join our zoo community

Australasian Asian Elephant Population 2021

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 12 Feb 2021.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the update. If it’s correct that they may not try to breed from the two older cows why import them also importing a bull instead of two non breeding cows could of been another option

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the update @Swanson02. That’s disappointing that they likely won’t be making use out of either of the older females. I’d wondered if Megawati had bred previously at Taman Safari, as this would allow them to breed with her for up to a decade past her last birth, but clearly this isn’t an option.

I thought someone mentioned Raflesia was the niece of another? I thought it was Megawati, but I could be wrong.

The simplest explanation for why a bull wasn’t imported with the cows/in place of one of the cows is that the didn’t have the facilities; but they could have imported a juvenile like Taronga did and built a bull facility over the next few years.

On the positive side, at least we know Australia Zoo are still committed to importing a bull.

3. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

He said half-sisters through the father but he or I could be wrong. I just can't remember if it was either Widya and Raflesia, or Raflesia and Christina. If it was Raflesia and Christina (the younger pair) it means that any of their offspring are half-cousins impairing the sustainability of an Australian Sumatran program.

Likewise, I feel Australia Zoo may have been/be hesitant to import a bull as it may disrupt their current system of free contact with the cows. One thing I did notice whilst at the zoo was just how often the keepers were walking around on exhibit with the girls (In my opinion too much). Something I imagine would be difficult or almost impossible with an adult bull.

Jambo, Zoofan15, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zoofan15

The musth period alone would render a bull elephant unmanageable. The free contact policy was revised at Taronga and Zoos Victoria due to the attack on a keeper by a then two year old male calf, so interaction with a bull of any age is inadvisable imo. It’ll be interesting to see how Australia Zoo choose to handle this.

The extent of the free contact you describe has the potential to become problematic. At this stage, the staff are likely trying to provide support/reassurance in an unfamiliar environment; but as time goes on, it’s important to also give the elephants their space. Ideally the elephants would see the arrival of their keepers as a positive stimulus that brings enrichment to their day; rather than a continuous presence that dictates their day.

I’ve looked back on my notes and I must have been referring to a post that described to Megawati as ‘like an aunt’ to Rafflesia. Hopefully the two that are half siblings aren’t the younger two. In the most practical sense, it’d offer a contingency of being able to breed any male offspring with the mother of the other female in the event the bull died.

Jambo, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had been wondering for some time why no start was made even a couple of years back to build a bull barn and yards, I would of thought building a night house and side yards right behind the existing exhibit area might have been a logical choice

6. Zoofan15

That could work. Thinking about it from a financial perspective, the cows will be the biggest drawcard for visitors as they’re a larger herd and keepers will be interacting with them. When calves are bred, they’ll be an even bigger attraction.

Rather than rotate use of the main exhibit, they’ll likely do what most zoos with elephants do and create a smaller bull yard (fair enough as he’ll be a herd of one). This may well be off display, with those truly keen to see a bull Sumatran elephant having to pay to do a behind the scenes encounter.

7. Zoofan15

2021 Summary

I will begin the first of my nine population list summaries with one of the most exciting species in the region, the Asian elephant.

Auckland Zoo Export:

In April 2021, Auckland Zoo announced their elephants will be sent to Australia Zoo (Burma) and Taronga Zoo (Anjalee). The facilities were chosen to meet the individual needs of the two cows - namely Anjalee’s reproductive needs.

They were originally scheduled to leave in mid-2021, but this move has since been delayed until March/April 2022.

This phase out will end the zoo’s 99 year association with elephants - dating back to Jamuna’s arrival in 1923.

Melbourne Zoo Pregnancies:

In November 2021, Melbourne Zoo announced the exciting news that three of their cows are pregnant (Dokkoon, Num-Oi and Mali), following a natural mating with the zoo’s breeding bull, Luk Chai. The calves are due anytime from late 2022 (with Dokkoon due first).

The births of these calves represent the first time the region has had three births within a short space of time; the first time a facility will welcome three calves within a short space of time; and the first birth to an Australian born cow (Mali) - creating a three generation matrilineal line.

Australia Zoo Exhibit Open:

In December 2021, Australia Zoo announced their exhibit was now open, with two of their cows (Widya and Christina) now on display. The other two cows will join them in the coming months.

2022 Population List:

No population list will be posted for 2022, as there have been no changes since the posting of the 2021 list.

The regional population remains at 8.19 Asian elephants.

TNT, Elephantelephant, akasha and 4 others like this.
  8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Thankyou for the summary. Going to be so exciting when the calves are coming due.