Join our zoo community

Australasian Exotic Mammal Species in Decline

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 30 Sep 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australasian Exotic Mammal Species in Decline

—————————————

Introduction:

I thought it’d be interesting to identify the exotic mammal species held in Australasian zoos that are in decline and likely to disappear from the region. To do this, I identified exotic mammals species where the regional population numbers 10 individuals or less.

From here, the species can be identified as:

- Predicted to increase (reasonable evidence of intention to continue)
    - Predicted to phase out (confirmation or reasonable evidence to suggest phase out)
    - Unknown (no clear indication has been given either way)

Not included are hybrids, colour morphs or species that are additionally farmed commercially in non accredited facilities (and could therefore be easily sourced) e.g. several deer species.

Updates to this list will be made by myself when a species can be removed or added from the list e.g. an import or birth/births takes the regional population of a species to above 10; if the last individual of a species dies or is exported; or if a species not on this list falls to 10 individuals or less.

—————————————

Regional population predicted to increase:

Indian rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) 2.1 at Dubbo
    Black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis) 4.4 at Dubbo; 2.0 at Monarto
    Common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius) 1.4 at Dubbo; 0.5 at Werribee
    Pygmy hippopotamus (Hexaprotodon liberiensis) 1.0 at Adelaide; 0.1 at Darling Downs; 1.0 at Melbourne; 1.1 at Taronga
    Brazilian tapir (Tapirus terrestris) 1.2 at Adelaide; 0.1 at Darling Downs
    Bornean orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) 2.1 at Auckland Zoo
    Mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) 2.1 at Adelaide; 0.1 at Tasmania
    Snow leopard (Panthera uncia) 2.1 at Billabong; 1.4 at Melbourne; 0.1 at Mogo
    Sri Lankan leopard (Panthera pardus kotiya) 3.1 at Canberra; 2.2 at Darling Downs
    Clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) 2.2 at WCCC
    Fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) 1.1 at Taronga; 1.0 at WCCC; 1.2 at Hamilton

Regional population predicted to be phased out:

Persian onager Equus hemionus onager) 2.0 at Dubbo
    Malayan tapir (Tapirus indicus) 0.1 at Adelaide; 0.1 at Melbourne
    Guanaco (Lama guanicoe) 1.0 at Darling Downs
    Collared peccary (Pecari tajacu) 1.2 at Melbourne
    North African crested porcupine (Hystrix cristata) 0.2 at Orana
    Barton's long-beaked echidna (Zaglossus bartoni) 1.0 at Taronga
    Lar gibbon (Hylobates lar) 1.1 at Dubbo, 3.0 at Gorge, 0.2 at Mogo; 0.1 at Pouakai
    Brown spider monkey (Ateles hybridus) 0.1 at Wellington
    Vervet monkey (Chlorocebus pygerythrus) Less than 10 at Werribee
    Sulawesi black macaque (Macaca nigra) 0.1 at Tasmania Zoo
    Dusky langur (Trachypithecus obscurus) 2.2 at Adelaide Zoo
    Colombian white-fronted capuchin (Cebus versicolor) Less than 10 at Gorge and Mansfield
    Sun bear (Helarctos malayanus) 1.0 at Canberra; 1.1 at Perth; 0.1 at Taronga; 0.1 at Wildlife HQ; 0.1 at Wellington

Regional population unclear in direction:

Springbok (Antidorcas marsuplialis) 2.4 at Orana
    Sunda slow loris (Nycticebus coucang) 1.0 at Perth
    Francois' Langur (Trachypithecus francoisi) 2.4 at Taronga; 2.0 at Canberra
    Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) 1.2 at Sea World
    Giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) 1.1 at Adelaide

—————————————

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great list idea. :)

I'll sort my discussion into the relevant sections.

Populations predicated to increase:

Both Rhino species (Indian and Black) will obviously need new holders to enable their populations to expand. In theory, Black rhino holding options are rather limited, mainly to the open range zoos; but with Perth and Melbourne phasing out their elephants, Indian Rhinos seem to be an easy, suitable replacement there.

Whilst Common Hippos will probably increase in numbers, there's a slim chance right now regarding the Pygmy Hippos; with only one breeding pair in the region. It'd be good to at least get one female from overseas to pair with one of the other males.

Auckland's decision to continue with Bornean Orangutans is interesting as most other zoos within the region appear content with Sumatrans. With the cancel of the imports from Europe, i'm wondering if Auckland were the one's who pulled out. It's a straight forward business decision to go into Sumatran Orangutans; enabling them to work as apart of the Australian program, rather than operating as an extension of the US and Europe programs with Borneans.

Brazilian Tapirs are very much up in the air. No zoos have confirmed their interest in this species, besides Adelaide. They would make a nice fit for a lot of the region's zoos; namely Mogo, Hunter Valley, Altina, Taronga/Dubbo, Melbourne ect.

The three Leopard species will surely increase in the future, with additional holders. Not sure about Fishing Cats though. I'm surprised more of the regions zoos (even city zoos) haven't chosen to add them to their collection. They're a small cat after all, and fit into the Rainforest category, and don't require an array of space.

Populations predicted for phase out:

Most species you mentioned are inevitably destined for phase out. Sun Bears are a possibility; but some (especially National and Taronga) still seem somewhat dedicated to them.

I'm not holding out hope, but I do believe Werribee won't phase out their Vervets. I have high hopes another import will be likely be made once their current individuals pass; but that's just my assumption. I would be widely surprise if Werribee do indeed phase them out.

Populations where future direction is unclear:

Springbok are probably destined for phase out. That is unless a zoo like Monarto decides to bring them back for their new African precinct.

Francois Langurs will be maintained within the region; Taronga still plans to continue with them, and there's a fat chance Adelaide will replace their Dusky's with them.

Adelaide seem very keen to retain their Giant Pandas. It'll be interesting where the future goes with this species there.

Seaworld is really the last hope for Polar Bears in the region. They had plans to send Miska elsewhere prior to covid, which have obviously been delayed (or most likely canned). Maybe once the older males die, they'll import a male to breed with her. Polar Bears are one of Seaworld's biggest drawcards so a phase out in managements eyes would be undesirable.

3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't follow the happenings with the Francois Langurs, Taronga seem to export a fair few to overseas zoos and my understanding was all other Langur species in our region were to be phased out for the Francois?.
    They have been at Taronga for quite some time now but I have not seen any other regional zoo attempt to establish them(bar 2 spare males), 1, why have they not been seen in any other collections. 2, why were other species being deleted if the intention was not to establish them elsewhere?. or is this a Taronga only species to set them apart from the rest of the pack?

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  4. Jambo

The initial plan was for the region to focus on Francois Langurs, but it appears most zoos (such as Melbourne) have backflipped on the plan and not import any Langurs whatsoever.

To answer your questions;

1. It's just a matter of the other zoos choosing not to hold Fancois Langurs too. There's nothing stopping them from importing from overseas (or even from within the region).

2. Other zoos had plans for this species too; but are just choosing not to hold them; in favour of other monkey species. If they did, we would see Taronga at least exporting surplus stock within the region rather than outside the region which is a much more time taking, costly manoeuvre.

Swanson02 likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

Thank you!

I’m the first to admit my list has a degree of subjectiveness to in it that I’ve made my own assessments based on the information I’ve got to hand.

Regional populations predicted to increase:

Many of these were easy to classify. Indian rhinoceros are a species of interest that have been identified as a replacement by at least one zoo and speculated for several others. At a minimum, I’d expect Dubbo to persist with this species.

While I’m not anticipating any other holders will come on board (preferring to continue with Sumatran orangutans), it’s clear they have a long term future at Auckland Zoo. Even if Melur doesn’t breed again, I’d anticipate seeing a colony built around Melur, Bahmi and imported females once 41 year old Charlie passes on.

Common hippopotamus and Pygmy hippopotamus are priorities for import after Australia’s Giraffe IRA. In the meantime, there’s evidence of intent to increase the population. These were strong candidates for this category.

Fishing cat was reluctantly placed in this category by virtue of the WCCC’s recent import. They do little to enhance Hamilton’s collection and personally I believe they’ll be phased out for Clouded leopard within the decade.

Regional populations predicted for phase out:

This category comprises both confirmed phase outs and phase outs that are as good as confirmed via the information we have to hand.

Collared peccary are an example of a confirmed phase out. We can’t import more due to the suidae ban and Melbourne’s trio are a non breeding group.

Malayan tapir have similarly been confirmed as phase out due to their lack of suitability for the region’s climate.

Sun bear haven’t been publicly confirmed as phase out from the region by any zoo, but the writing’s on the wall and has been for some time. They don’t breed readily and there’s a lack of males available for import within the captive population (especially Europe). I’m hopeful we’ll see them replaced with Sloth bear.

Regional population direction unclear:

I didn’t want to get too far into speculation in this category, but placed those species here because there’s no sufficient evidence either way to place them in the other categories (only my predictions of how the population will plan out).

Giant panda leases are being renewed five years at a time. I struggle to see any other zoo importing them and Adelaide’s commitment to them may well be influenced by the breeding success (or lack of it) they experience with their current pair - leaving them to decide between phasing them out; or importing a new pair/new male/new female etc.

Polar bear were difficult to place. They’re a popular attraction at Sea World, but the North American population is hardly booming and several zoos have phased out. I believe they’ll be at Sea World for the next 10-20 years, but I don’t believe additional holders will join them; and am unsure of the likelihood of their continuation with this species beyond that timeframe due to a lack of availability.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Taronga indeed exported five male François langurs this year, which I believe other zoos in the region would have had the option to acquire if they’d desired to do so. We’re under the EEP, but not all of these males will be going into breeding placements, but rather represent a surplus other zoos in Australasia could have taken on - as the National Zoo and Aquarium previously did by accepting two males.

Like most primates, they’re easy to import but apparently hold little interest for the other zoos. It’s a shame as they’d be a valuable addition to Adelaide’s collection in particular - complimenting the Giant pandas from China.

Dusky langurs apparently have no future in the region, having been reduced to 2.2 siblings at Adelaide. This represents a chance to switch to François langurs, but it remains to be seen if they go this route. There’s no indication to suggest they will at this stage.

7. Zorro

I find it difficult to believe that no other zoos in the region would not have any interest in having them. ;)

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  8. Jambo

There's been an array of opportunities for other zoos within the region to import surplus from Taronga, or even their own population from overseas, but none have taken the initiative besides Taronga. Melbourne, Perth ect. have obviously decided they have enough monkey species as it is besides importing Francois Langurs.

Swanson02 likes this.
  9. Zorro

How so?

10. Jambo

Taronga have had a lot of surplus over the years (especially males). If zoos within the region really wanted to hold Francois Langurs, they could've easily obtained some of these surplus's, but instead Taronga have had to ship most off overseas. If there was an option within the region, i'm sure Taronga would've selected that as overseas transfers can be expensive ect. With the transfers being large groups of males too, it seems they won't be apart of the breeding program over there anyways.

Swanson02 likes this.
  11. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Re: Francois. I don't really understand it as they were the chosen species of langur for the region yet only one zoo seems committed to having a breeding group. Not as if they aren't a showy species either.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  12. Zoofan15

It’s a shame other zoos in the region haven’t been more supportive of this breeding programme. As with other breeding programmes, it’s not sustainable to have only one zoo breeding François' langur, which then has to import.

I’d have thought the François' langur would valued by zoos as species from China, offering variety to their Asian collections; but possibly this actually goes against it - i.e. apart from a handful like Adelaide, many of the main zoos seems to be obsessed with a specific South East Asia theme.

13. Jambo

That's a fairly good point; most of my visits to Taronga, they've all been sitting up the back, almost out of view. Zoos would of course prefer a much more active, interactive monkey species such as Squirrel Monkeys, Spider Monkeys, Capuchins, Tamarins ect.

Wisp O' Mist, Tigergal and Swanson02 like this.
  14. Zoofan15

@tetrapod is saying the opposite. He meant that they are a “showy” species i.e. he was stating why he doesn’t understand their lack of appeal to zoos given their striking appearance - the infants of course being that vibrant orange, which is even more impressive.

It’s the responsibility of any zoo to design an exhibit that meets the needs of the species AND showcases their natural behaviour to the public to the best of their ability. Francois langurs are agile and acrobatic. Even a medium sized troop should be a hive activity under the right conditions (sheltered from inclement weather; enriching climbing structures that stimulate and challenge them).

The Oklahoma City Zoo are an example of what an enriching climbing structure should look like. Taronga’s exhibit is naturalistic, but comparatively boring.

15. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

Cheers @Zoofan15 for doing this, I like this format too it's simple and skips needing to assess all the population threads.

I thought maybe I'd just give my 2 cents on some of the species listed.

Indian Rhino have a bright future in the region and in the next 10-15 years could go from just one holder to 3-4 (TWPZ, Perth, Melbourne?, Monarto?). I think this is due to their prehistoric nature, and armored skin folds, which sets them apart from other rhino species.

I agree with you I'm not too worried about Pygmy hippos they are a popular species and have replaced Common hippos in most of our city zoos. A few zoos have them in their masterplans and other Zoos like Auckland would suit them.

I think Brazilian tapirs are a great ungulate for our city zoos, they are more active then malayans and also dont have the same health concerns. Obviously only the two current holders have stated their interest in continuing them but I could easily see them at Taronga, Melbourne, Auckland, Hamilton, Altina, Wildlife HQ, Mogo and the National zoo.

Mandrill are an iffy one for me, I was told the wrong information at Adelaide about new Mandrill at Melbourne, so maybe Adelaides intent to hold them is off a false pretense that other facilities are interested too? Mandrill are in Adelaide's masterplan but I could see them easily replaced in their future exhibit by another African primate species like vervet monkeys.

Clouded leopards are notoriously hard to pair, so these guys could take a while to get up and going in Australasia. Saying that they would be a popular species just because of their name and are a perfect fit for the tropical southeast asia areas present at virtually every city zoo, I also think they lend themselves very well to exhibits with overpasses.

Equids are so easy to import so its a shame this species has fallen to the wayside as it could have been relatively sustainably managed. Although not a popular species they are more endangered than many other species our zoos insist on holding. I think they would have really suited Monarto and Werribee, so its a shame a little program couldn't have atleast started up between those three.

I'm actually in favour of phasing out species when zoos collective attention is spread across multiple similar, yet incompatible species. Ultimately this stunts the size of breeding programs and causes them to very quickly fizzle out. With 4 Gibbon species in this relatively small region, I think the sad but right decision was made to phase out the Lar's.

It's suprising this species is not present at other open-range zoos, they make a perfect fit. I assume Werribee has not stated their intention to continue with them yet? Obviously holding them does nothing conservation wise, but they are the 'generic' monkey and probably would be popular with the public for that reason.

I agree I hope for a phase out of this species too. Although I do worry the phase out won't be universal and we could see some holders try and hold onto Sun bears, others convert to Sloth bears and others drop ursids altogether.

Springbok could be a swing species i.e. they will either be phased out very soon, or we could see one of the big open range zoos import like 10-20 and within 15 years there are 100 all across the region. Surely we could organise a national animal swap with the South Africans :D

I hope this species has a future in the region. Next time I'm at Adelaide I'll ask what their plans are for the Dusky's. I deeply hope they will be replaced by a group of Francois' even if the Brazilian tapirs move into the exhibit and we get a geographical mish mash.

16. Jambo

Some more discussion points in response to yours.:)

Perth have thrown out mention of possibly using them as a replacement for their elephants. Monarto's a possibility; especially if they could be included as apart of an Asian area with elephants, blackbuck ect. Melbourne's a chance, and Indian Rhinos are an obvious replacement. They could at least hold a single individual at Melbourne if they wish, alongside a breeding group at Werribee.

If Melbourne don't wish to continue with Mandrills, it would be rather odd for Adelaide to decide too. Tasmania dosen't seem to interested besides holding some surplus individuals. The fact that they recently decreased their troop numbers says a bit I think.

They are endangered; so may be at least considered by Zoos Vic (Werribee) in the future. It appears Dubbo have just given up on them; possibly due to no cooperation from other regional zoos. Prezwalski's horses seem to be the regions focus equid atm.

Werribee haven't no, but the enclosure is fairly newish (twenty years, but oh well, its aged well:rolleyes::p); and I don't see what Werribee would use as a replacement. Werribee only stopped breeding once their population became all related; which was inevitable as they only had eight or so founders.

Vervets also help diversify Werribee's collection, being one of two primate species held there; and are incredibly popular with the public due to their constant activity. Vervets could also very well fit city zoos too. They're really one of the only primate species that could be held at both.

I don't see why not. :D Werribee and Monarto will both have large savannahs that are capable of holding massive groups of these guys, so it's achievable. They're relatively easy to keep and breed like dogs, so all they need is a chance!

Wisp O' Mist and Swanson02 like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Cheers. I thought it’d be interesting to analyse the future of the species which are dwindling or held in low numbers within the region.

I can confirm Hamilton Zoo has an interest in this species and of New Zealand’s zoos is the most likely to import. They always cohabited well in a mixed species exhibit since the arrival of the spider monkeys in the 1990’s - it would have been one of New Zealand’s first mixed species exhibits for mammals.

As in marketing, I imagine what we’ll see is the early adopters (literally) like Darling Downs Zoo, who have the foresight to import and the resources to do so take the initial lead; with others acquiring them as they become mainstream and readily available within the region. The reward for getting in on the ground floor is that they’ll be the breeding hub for the region.

I’m optimistic Adelaide Zoo will continue with Mandrill. The death of their elderly female will leave behind a male (who could potentially live at least another five years) and their young son, so this will prove the catalyst for change. It’s hard to say if other zoos will acquire them. Auckland Zoo are considering an African forest precinct, so they’d be a strong candidate.

I really hope breeding in the region takes off. Since this is a species that must be paired young, it’s hard to see a sustainable breeding programme given we have only one breeding pair. It’s most likely other zoos (such as Hamilton) will acquire non breeding sibling pairs bred at the WCCC; but I’d like to be surprised by other zoos taking the initiative to import. Darling Downs Zoo have been successful with small cats and Mogo Zoo would likely have an interest in them - possibly as a replacement for when their Snow leopard passes.

Wisp O' Mist, Zorro and Swanson02 like this.
  18. Jambo

Obviously most of the city zoos (Melbourne, Perth and Taronga) have given up on them which is a shame. If Adelaide want to maintain a troop apart of a regional breeding program, it'll probably be best for them to cooperate with smaller, regional zoos such as Darling Downs, Mogo, Rockhampton ect. Auckland's a fat chance in NZ; Mandrills and Pygmy Hippos would be quite the stars of an African Forest Precinct.

Swanson02 likes this.
  19. Zoofan15

Historically, Auckland Zoo has considered gorillas as replacements for the elephants. Given the restrictions around importing Pygmy hippopotamus, a combination of Western lowland gorilla and Mandrill would make for a spectacular precinct. There’s space to accomodate medium sized troops for both.

The future of Mandrill lies with Adelaide, but a sustainable breeding programme could be established with an additional two breeding facilities to exchange first generation females between; and an additional two bachelor facilities to accomodate first generation males.

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  20. Jambo

I would say the best space within Auckland for this would be the former Rainforest precinct. The current Capybara enclosure would be ideal for Pygmy Hippos; as would the former Saimang enclosure for Mandrills (although I believe it's now been demolished?).

Swanson02 likes this.