Join our zoo community

Australasian Hamadryas Baboon Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 13 Jan 2023.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australasian Hamadryas Baboon Population

Welcome everyone to my tenth Australasian population list thread. Compiling this thread has been significantly more challenging than previous threads as information on this species is not widely available - either through online studbooks or the websites of the facilities involved.

Consequently, it’s not been possible to compile a complete population list. Some facilities submitted only birth years when date of birth was requested; so for consistency, birth years will be listed for all baboons irregardless of whether their full date of birth was available. Parentage is listed if known.

@Steve Robinson has promised to provide information on Darling Downs Zoo’s population when he has time to do so. He’s understandably busy with the demands of running a zoo.

There are nine holders in Australasia: Auckland Zoo, Adelaide Zoo, Banana Cabana, Crocodylus Park, Darling Downs Zoo, Melbourne Zoo, Perth Zoo, Sydney Zoo and Wildlife HQ. The hundreds of baboons held in private research facilities are not detailed for obvious reasons.

New Zealand Population

Auckland Zoo:

0.1 Ayisha (2001) Unknown x Zara
    0.1 Kito (2002) Unknown x Greet
    1.0 Afar (2005) Jarmah x Gina
    1.0 Wasaro (2005) Jarmah x Gen
    1.0 Yafeu (2009) Unknown x Ayisha
    0.1 Naeemah (2011) Afar x Kito
    1.0 Badi (2012) Afar x Kito
    0.1 Zala (2013) Wasaro x Ayisha
    0.1 Mali (2015) Wasaro x Ayisha
    0.1 Iniko (2020) Yafeu x Mali
    1.0 Jabari (2022) Badi x Mali

Australian Population

Adelaide Zoo:

0.1 Chappi (2003) Jarmah x Gina
    1.0 Tomkay (2014) Horus x Chappi
    1.0 Djibouti (2016) Horus x Chappi
    0.1 Quasi (2017) Jabari x Qetesh
    0.1 Mahali (2018) Jabari x Macey
    0.1 Unnamed (2022) Tomkay x Quasi

Banana Cabana:

1.0 Troth (2016)
    1.0 Babi (2018)

Crocodylus Park

1.0 Dolus (1993)
    1.0 Scooby (1999) Dolus x Unknown
    1.0 Ruben (2013)

Darling Downs Zoo:

Awaiting information from @Steve Robinson

Melbourne Zoo:

0.1 Huddo (1999) Grijs x Unknown
    0.1 Macey (2004) Rameses x Beth
    0.1 Qetesh (2010)
    1.0 Jabari (2010) Imported 2012 (USA)
    1.0 Azizi (2010) Imported 2012 (USA)
    0.1 Juju (2015) Jabari x Huddo
    1.0 Melako (2017) Jabari x Macey
    0.1 Gana (2017) Unknown x Grace
    0.1 Hudson (2018) Unknown x Huddo
    1.0 Quimby (2018) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Makali (2019) Unknown x Macey
    1.0 Quill (2019) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Quilton (2020) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Muna (2020) Unknown x Macey
    0.1 Mei (2021) Unknown x Macey

Perth Zoo:

0.1 Grimus (1996) Grijs x Gina
    0.1 Guni (1999) Grijs x Gitta
    1.0 Chad (2005) James x Guni

Sydney Zoo:

1.0 Babi Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    1.0 Nyambi Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    1.0 Shezmu Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    1.0 Azizi Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    1.0 Bennu Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Izara Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Aida Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Anta Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Kasmut Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Zuri Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    1.0 Apophis Imported 2019 (Singapore)
    0.1 Aza (2020)
    0.1 Johari (2020)
    0.1 Nyota (2020)
    1.0 Ramses (2021)
    1.0 Seti (2021)
    1.0 Deshr (2022)
    0.1 Zeinab (2022)
    0.0.1 Unnamed (2022)

Wildlife HQ:

0.1 Genie (2000)
    0.1 Abeba (2004) Albert x Grit
    0.1 Layla (2010) Scooby x Genie
    1.0 Tehuti (2011) Scooby x Genie
    0.1 Zola (2014) Scooby x Genie
    0.1 Zendaya (2021) Tehuti x Abeba

Total New Zealand Population: 5.6 baboons
    Total Australian Population: 23.30.1 baboons + DDZ
    Total Australasian Population: 28.36.1 baboons + DDZ

Link to research thread for additional information (full dates of birth; assumptions on parentage etc): Australasian Baboon Population - Research and Discussion

2. Zoofan15

Perth Zoo have phased out Hamadryas baboon:

Perth’s 1.2 baboons have been transferred to Melbourne Zoo:

0.1 Grimus (1996) Grijs x Gina
    0.1 Guni (1999) Grijs x Gitta
    1.0 Chad (2005) James x Guni

Perth Zoo’s three red-bummed baboons are off to join a new troop on the east coast!

The three primates have flown across the country in style, in their own custom travel crates filled with delicious snacks.

Once in their new home at Melbourne Zoo, dominant male Chad will play a crucial role in the regional breeding program and hopefully sire some bouncing baby baboons.

Not only is this animal transfer critical for the overarching conservation of the species, but it’s a welfare win for our three individual baboons.

Baboons have a very specific social hierarchy where one dominant male will live with multiple females in a harem, and often multiple harems live alongside each other.

With Chad needed to play a role in the breeding program, it’s important we also transfer the remaining two baboons, Guni and Grimus, to ensure they can live in a nice big troop.

Perth Zoo Primate Keeper Toby Ewing said: “Our three baboons are great animals to work with and we are certainly going to miss them, but this move is one to be celebrated!

“Having Chad, Guni and Grimus join a much larger troop with other baboons of diverse ages will be a very enriching experience for them.

“And hopefully once they’ve settled, we’ll hear the good news that Chad is having success with his breeding efforts – I’m sure he’ll quickly become the mane attraction for his new baboon friends!”

Saving wildlife is a collaborative effort and one we can’t do on our own. That’s why Perth Zoo is proud to be a ZAA accredited zoo, working with zoos and wildlife parks around the nation and beyond on coordinated conservation programs.

We will miss the cheeky antics of the three baboons but know that they will be in the care of experts with our friends at Melbourne Zoo..

3. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo Update

Death of Yafeu:

Yafeu, one of the prime aged males, has died. He was the first Hamadryas baboon infant born at Auckland Zoo in 2009 and a surprise birth. It was originally the intention for his mother to breed with one of the two young males imported from Australia - which she later did, producing a further three offspring (two surviving).

Yafeu is survived by his mother, two half sisters and a daughter. He has many other distant relations in the region through his Wellington ancestry.

His death reduces Auckland Zoo’s population to 4.6 baboons:

0.1 Ayisha (2001) Unknown x Zara
    0.1 Kito (2002) Unknown x Greet
    1.0 Afar (2005) Jarmah x Gina
    1.0 Wasaro (2005) Jarmah x Gen
    0.1 Naeemah (2011) Afar x Kito
    1.0 Badi (2012) Afar x Kito
    0.1 Zala (2013) Wasaro x Ayisha
    0.1 Mali (2015) Wasaro x Ayisha
    0.1 Iniko (2020) Yafeu x Mali
    1.0 Jabari (2022) Badi x Mali

Potential phase out:

Auckland Zoo were considering phasing this species out. There was a plan in 2020 to export the three young adult females (Naeemah, Zala and Mali) to Singapore Zoo. These plans were abandoned due to Covid and the discovery Mali was pregnant with Iniko.

Mali has since bred a second time to produce Jabari in 2022, which gives me hope Auckland Zoo are reconsidering this phase out. The baboons are one of the zoo’s most popular exhibits - with decent sized crowds every time I pass by the exhibit.

The thing I’ve noticed about baboons troops is that they not only engage the public, they hold their attention. It’s not uncommon to see people watch the baboons for several minutes versus other exhibits where the reaction is “It’s a zebra, what’s next?”

4. Zoofan15

Birth Announcement - Adelaide Zoo

As reported by @Patrick Keegan, a second Hamadryas baboon infant has been born at Adelaide Zoo. From the video I’ve seen, I’d estimate the infant was born January 2023.

The parents would be Tomkay and Mahali, with the infant joining the female born in July 2022 to Quasi. They’re the first surviving infants born at the zoo since 2016.

The birth brings the zoo’s troop to 2.4.1 baboons.

5. Zoofan15

Darling Downs Zoo Baboon Population

Darling Downs Zoo’s baboon population is as follows:

1.0 Rameses (1997) born at Alma Park Zoo
    1.0 Gyasi (2014) born at Sydney Zoo
    1.0 Horace (2018) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    1.0 Seti (2019) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    1.0 Julius (2021) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    1.0 Jafar (2021) born at Darling Downs Zoo

0.1 Cleo (2011) born at Alma Park Zoo
    0.1 Cagney (2006) born at Warsaw Zoo
    0.1 Lacey (2007) born at Warsaw Zoo
    0.1 Mandy (2014) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    0.1 Cruella (2016) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    0.1 Selma (2018) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    0.1 Isla (2018) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    0.1 Selene (2019) born at Darling Downs Zoo
    0.1 Angelica (2020) born at Darling Downs Zoo

Gyasi is the new breeding male, transferred in from Sydney Zoo.

This information was kindly provided by @Steve Robinson and is current as of January 2023.

6. Zoofan15

Pregnancy and Birth Announcement - Adelaide Zoo

Adelaide Zoo’s newest infant (a male born in March) was not born to Mahali as assumed; but rather to Quasi, who conceived again shortly after giving birth to her first infant in July 2022.

Mahali is however pregnant and due soon.

From socials:

The Hamadryas Baboon troop has seen a lot of action over the last year with more to come.

Ten-month old "Lily' (named after the Cala Lily and the national flower of Ethiopia) was born to Quasi but adopted by experienced mum Chappi. Quasi then went on to have another baby, this time a male, who arrived in late March.

Keepers anticipate that Mahali is also expecting and an arrival due any day.

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After visiting Melbourne today and chatting to a keeper for a little bit, I thought I'd share a little of what I heard (mainly regarding the newly integrated male, Chad, from Perth).

Chad has settled in well, and he's been introduced to the entire group. They have 15 individuals at the moment.

The keeper said the plan is to keep the other males in the troop long term, as this is usually the case with troops in the wild, with males running their own sub-troops (harems).

Chad has a few of the younger females in his harem, but it's expected some of the older females will switch over soon, as he'll be the only breeding male.

Melako's also begun to form his own harem too with a couple of the other younger females. The four males with harems currently are (Jabari, Azizi, Chad and Melako).

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update. It’s good to hear Chad has assimilated nicely into the troop. Melbourne’s troop numbered 5.10 prior to his arrival, so with the 1.2 from Perth, it appears three baboons are deceased or have been transferred out. Huddo was getting on in years.

If Chad is the only breeding male, I assume the other males have had vasectomies. This was done at Wellington to cease breeding, but backfired when the adolescent males (without harems) succeeding in sneaking matings with the females. Chad could similarly sire infants to females in other male’s harems.

9. Zoofan15

Melbourne Zoo Update

Update from my visit (21/11/2023):

The three baboons from Perth Zoo are now all deceased. Grimus (1996) and Guni (1999) were euthanised on medical grounds (old age); while Chad (2005) was euthanised due to being unable to integrate with Melbourne’s troop. It should be noted the introduction of unrelated males is extremely difficult to achieve and it’s commendable Melbourne Zoo gave him every opportunity to do so (as opposed to only accepting the females from Perth).

The volunteer I spoke to said the older males (Jabari and Azizi) are castrated. I questioned this as they still have the secondary sexual characteristics of intact males and whether she meant vasectomised instead. She wasn’t sure but knows they’re non reproductive either way.

The three young males (Melako, Quimby and Quill) are intact. Melako is developing his silver cape and has established a harem with a handful of females. I saw Macey (with Mei) within his vicinity.

I noticed one of the females had what looked like a large growth on her throat. When I asked a volunteer, she said, “Oh that’s Juju, she likes to store her food.” I’ve never seen other baboons do this and it appears Juju’s habit of doing so is unique within Melbourne’s troop.

All the females are on contraception and the zoo has no intention of breeding from the troop for the foreseeable.

Current troop:

0.1 Huddo (1999) Grijs x Unknown
    0.1 Macey (2004) Rameses x Beth
    1.0 Jabari (2010) Imported 2012 (USA) Harem Leader
    1.0 Azizi (2010) Imported 2012 (USA) Harem Leader
    0.1 Qetesh (2010)
    0.1 Juju (2015) Jabari x Huddo
    1.0 Melako (2017) Jabari x Macey Harem Leader
    0.1 Gana (2017) Unknown x Grace
    0.1 Hudson (2018) Unknown x Huddo
    1.0 Quimby (2018) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Makali (2019) Unknown x Macey
    1.0 Quill (2019) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Quilton (2020) Unknown x Qetesh
    0.1 Muna (2020) Unknown x Macey
    0.1 Mei (2021) Unknown x Macey

10. Jambo

A real shame re. The Perth trio. Chad was the last hope for breeding at Melbourne anytime soon but even then it’s likely only a select few females would’ve been taken off contraception for him (presumably whichever joined his harem).

I assume the plan is to await the deaths of Jabari and Azizi before acquiring new males, but this could still be more than a decade away.

11. Zoofan15

I assume that’s the reason that Azizi and Jabari were vasectomised so that Chad had exclusive mating rights (sneaky matings occur outside of harems). He was well placed to establish a harem as they typically number 5-7 females, but sadly it wasn’t meant to be and Melako rose to this position instead.

I feel like regionally, the baboon population is up in the air with Auckland planning to phase them out. Potentially their two younger males could come to Melbourne; with Melbourne’s five males going to a bachelor facility. That said, Auckland’s males are related to Melbourne’s troop, so it wouldn’t achieve a lot genetically. An import would be preferable imo.

12. Jambo

Getting some males from Sydney might work too imo.

A lot of smaller, regional zoos would certainly be interested in baboons (albeit a bachelor group). If Melbourne wants to make any changes now would be the right time, but obviously it appears they're content with holding a non breeding troop of 20 for the time being. A real shame when you consider the exhibit has a holding capacity of 40!

Patrick Keegan, Zoofan15 and Osedax like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Sydney’s males (Singapore imports) would be a good addition, though with their troop breeding readily, I don’t doubt some first generation females will make their way into the regional population. Melbourne could potentially continue to contracept their 10 females and then breed 3-4 Sydney females with Melako, Quimby and Quill.

It was a highlight to see the dynamics of Melbourne’s troop and reminded me of Wellington’s previously large troop. 40 would be an even greater sight. I really hope Melbourne don’t phase this species out long term like Auckland, Perth and Adelaide (unless it’s to house them at Werribee).

14. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe Monarto zoo would be the perfect place for a Baboon exhibit, they have mountains of room they would fit very well into the current wild Africa exhibit and the hot dry climate would be ideal for them.

Swanson02, Osedax and Patrick Keegan like this.
  15. Zoofan15

I’m really excited to see what Monarto build for their baboons. Last I heard, a large rock face exhibit was planned and the exhibit (no description given) is under the ‘beyond five years’ section of the masterplan. I personally like the idea of integrating them with Barbary sheep in a mixed species exhibit, which is done at several zoos overseas.

Adelaide Zoo have resumed breeding baboons, which we can assume will form the nucleus of Monarto’s troop. I have no doubt they’d accept females from Sydney Zoo and Darling Downs Zoo (if offered), with both facilities enjoying great success with this species.

16. Zorro

I also wondered if they could obtain any from the many held in the private research facilities

Osedax and Patrick Keegan like this.
  17. Zoofan15

I’m not sure if the zoos would be open to receiving them from non ZAA zoos, but from what I understand, the research facilities hold records of all their animals and if there was no behavioural or medical issues, then it’s a possibility.

Singapore and Emmen could otherwise provide large numbers, but I honestly think there’d be enough within the region for the here and now. If Monarto started with 10 founders (they already have 3.4 baboons), they could easily reach 20 within five years and grow exponentially from there.

18. Zorro

My angle was the ones in the research facilities are likely to be unrelated and without the need or expense of importation!

Osedax and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. Jambo

There’s a possibility but obviously both sides would need to agree on the move.

Acquiring a few females from overseas would probably be the most logical option imo. If Monarto were to expand their troop this would be the way to go.

20. Zoofan15

Depending on the size of Monarto’s exhibit, it may be possible to integrate additional males; but it makes the most sense to add additional females from Sydney/DDZ/Overseas and breed until the desired population is reached.

It may be wise to preempt an unbalanced gender ratio in births by sourcing multiple females (up to 12) which combined with the three females from Adelaide (one elderly) would give Tomkay and Djibouti large harems of around seven females each. Upcoming males would then have females to acquire as they mature.