Join our zoo community

Australasian Hippo Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 8 Feb 2021.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dubbo’s hippo complex has been extended over the years with the adding of much more land space. They have three seperate hippo exhibits and so so can hold up to three hippo groups.

If Dubbo do end up receiving the pair from Werribee than it’d be best for Kendi, Kibibi and Cuddles to be sent to Monarto alongside possibly a future calf from Cuddles. This would allow space for breeding from three breeding females.

I really hope management at Dubbo and Werribee can successfully work together to manage the regional hippo populations. Planning and good management is needed if this species is to remain in the region for decades to come. With imports incredibly difficult, the future is reliant on Kani. Hopefully he can sire many calves to come.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think that’s the best plan as Cuddles giving birth to a calf would also mirror the natural social order of a cow isolating herself from her pod to give birth and then returning when they calf is robust enough to withstand their curiosity of the pod (Kibibi and Kendi). As the largest female, Cuddles is well placed to protect her calf upon the return to her pod and has undergone this process twice successfully.

If Kani and Cuddles produce a male calf, he will be an essential back up if anything happens to Kani; if Cuddles produces a female calf, the above process could be repeated ahead of his introduction to Nile.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Jambo like this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can’t see any reason why Dubbo and Werribee can not work together for the long term future they are both major zoos and I assume both want them for exhibit in the long term.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  4. Jambo

Kani wasn’t introduced to Kendi until he was 6 months old. Kendi was introduced at a similar age to Kibibi (when she was also around 6 months).

Currently, Dubbo rotates their pods frequently. I’ve seen Cuddles, Kendi and Kani together (via their social media) but never all four with Kibibi. Apparently there were plans to introduce Kani to Nile last year. Not sure how that has panned out.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  5. Jambo

That’s quite right. In the past there was a recommendation to send one of Dubbo’s bulls to Werribee but that never eventuated. Hopefully things can work out but I don’t see a whole lot of moves being made by both zoos.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  6. Zoofan15

Kani has since been successfully introduced to both his sisters. This video from his birthday last year shows all four of them in together:

He hasn’t been introduced to Nile to my knowledge, but introducing him while still under the protection of his mother could be a good way to assimilate him into her pod without the need for introductions later when they come to breeding.

Patrick Keegan, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  7. Zoofan15

I think the first critical step to breeding at Werribee involves freeing up space, which can be achieved by transferring one pod of 0.2 or 0.3 to Dubbo or Monarto.

This will leave them open to importing a Dubbo bred bull. If Dubbo breeds Kani with Cuddles and Nile as outlined above, they would be more than happy to transfer anything surplus to the two bulls they’ll want to have on site - as both a contingency for the other dying; and to give breeding options - a son of Kani would be a better match for all Dubbo cows concerned than Kani himself.

Zorro, Jambo and Patrick Keegan like this.
  8. Jambo

All four of them together is quite a sight!

I came across a video where it mentioned he would be introduced to his aunty, Nile, in the future. The plan was to apparently have all five hippos successfully introduced so different mixes could be used at different times.

Zoofan15, Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  9. Zorro

Seeing them in a group setting in a zoo is wonderful to see I can only imagine how good Monarto zoo huge new exhibit is going to be for them.Going by the concept drawing of Monarto zoos new Safari hotel the hippo lake appears to take pride and place the new exhibit complex I hope it works out like this on completion

Last edited: 9 Jan 2022
  10. Zoofan15

A large herd could easily be achieved at Monarto. The best way would be to breed with a female and retain her female offspring (as has been done with Cuddles), introducing each subsequent calf to her pod around the six month mark.

Alternatively, they could have two or more breeding females but even when these females are related, this has had mixed results in the region with Bonnie and Faith (mother and daughter) at Auckland Zoo killing each other’s offspring; and the mortality rate even higher between females of different matrilineal lines e.g. Snorkle and Faith; Brindabella and Primrose.

Patrick Keegan, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  11. Jambo

Monarto could theoretically start with mother and daughter Brindabella and Pansy, and create a herd descended from these two females.

Both females could be separated with their respective calves up until around the age of 6 months, where they are big enough to at least have some sort of protection against the bigger hippos.

Most of the time female hippos tend to kill other females calves when their calves are born around the same time. Monarto, Werribee and Dubbo could beat this by breeding their females in intervals, eg. a calf ever two years.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  12. Zoofan15

True, I know Werribee were keen to breed from Brindabella prior to Pansy’s birth as she was the only surviving offspring in the region of her then elderly parents (now deceased) - though it’s kind of a moot point when her parents were sired by the same bull that sired Suzie; and her own sire is Suzie’s son, Harold. We really need some fresh imports!

I always think it’s a shame better use wasn’t made of Faith and Snorkel at Auckland Zoo when they were still of reproductive age. Especially Snorkel given both her parents were unrelated to the Australian founders .

I agree a rotation could work well. Some zoos even introduce the calf to the sire around the one year mark. Breeding around every two years could mean the calf was introduced to their sire around 12-15 months of age, allowing their mother to conceive again; while the other female was isolated with her newborn.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2022
  13. austrlain zoo gower

austrlain zoo gower Well-Known Member

What about Felix at Melbourne zoo,
    exhibit pool was drained are they bringing in a female because he is in his prime and they have the space

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  14. Zorro

Any idea where from?

steveroberts likes this.
  15. Jambo

Felix is currently fifteen years old and so could leave at least another decade. He does have a son, Obi, who lives at Adelaide.

When I last visited a few months ago they had his normal pool drained and he was in the other side; I believe this was just due to small construction in his normal enclosure rather than them planning to import a female.

Hopefully Melbourne can work something out though; they have the space as you mentioned, and have a proven breeder in their hands. Kamina at Darling Downs may be paired with Felix down the line, although she's related to him. New imports from overseas are really needed to continue the population's diversity.

Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and steveroberts like this.
  16. Jambo

I think they were just questioning whether Melbourne might be getting a new female, rather than them being aware of an import being in the works.

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  17. Zoofan15

I’d be surprised if we saw Melbourne Zoo acquire a female anytime soon. Imports aren’t currently feasible and the decision to transfer Kamina to DDZ rather than pair her with either of the males at Adelaide and Melbourne suggests the zoos involved have hope imports will transpire in the next few years and that better options will be available.

Kamina is currently five years old. If she reaches 10 and no imports are on the horizon, it may be time to breed her with either of these males - especially if no more births follow at Taronga (unlikely). Inbred hippos are better than no hippos, so they may have to go this route.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Guys and Lasses, it aint that difficult .... there are heaps of common and pygmy hippo in S.E. Asia to pick up (not just Singapore, but Malaysian, Thai, Indonesian zoos and Taiwan, Korea even ...

19. Zoofan15

Taman Safari has a large population of Common hippopotamus, which is ironic considering the export of the young bull to there a decade ago contributed to our regional population reaching crisis point.

Imports have long been desirable for the sake of genetic diversity; but with the future resting on the survival of a single juvenile male, they're now needed as well as wanted.

Ultimately, it's hard to deny this species has been poorly managed on a regional level. Multiple facilities have been as short sighted to be satisfied with the status quo as long as their own zoo had a population in the immediate future.

StoppableSan and steveroberts like this.
  20. Zorro

Try telling that to the powers that be here rhino man.you are correct but as mentioned this species has been badly managed and then there is the problem of a ultra strict IRA process on top nothing here is simple when it comes to importing animals into this region . Look how long the bovine IRA has taken.

steveroberts likes this.