Join our zoo community

Australasian Leopard Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 5 Dec 2021.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As mentioned any zoo within the region big or small needs to apply for being in the EEP program regardless of how keen they are to have them :)

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Adelaide definitely still have plans for Sri Lankan Leopards, there's no reason to say otherwise. They initially planned to work with the National Zoo on breeding this species, but covid has slowed construction around the zoo down so the Jewels of Asia precinct is being filed further and further back. This precinct is not looking to begin construction until at least another three to four years or so though. The African precinct is first priority.

I'd imagine Adelaide would be the next zoo to receive a breeding pair. Mogo may very well start with a single individual. Taronga may look to importing a pair as well in the future. There'll be space within the Asian precinct once the Congo precinct is built. Melbourne may also be looking into joining the program. Leopards would be quite a great replacement for their elephants (alongside some other species as well); and would fit the Asian trail theme.

Last edited: 28 May 2022
    Tigergal, Abbey, marmolady and 3 others like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Adelaide intend to receive a breeding pair from the offspring bred at the other two holders, so will presumably be building a decent sized exhibit versus Mogo, who may be happy to exhibit a sibling pair in a small exhibit.

With Taronga and Melbourne focused on the breeding of Sumatran tigers and Snow leopards respectively, I imagine they’d be equally happy to hold a single leopard or sibling pair also. Three breeding facilities is more than enough at this point in time, so non breeding holders would be valuable too.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  4. Zorro

My only question here are has Adelaide even applied to be in the EEP yet for SL?

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

To my knowledge they haven’t yet as plans for the exhibit have been pushed back and they haven’t yet expressed an interest in one of the two available male cubs from Canberra to form their intended breeding pair.

The Sri Lankan leopards are planned as one of their main attractions, so I have no doubt it remains a priority.

Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  6. Zoofan15

Given Auckland Zoo is an EAZA member, it’s a great shame they have no plans to acquire Sri Lankan leopard. They have a world class Sumatran tiger complex and their African lions are one of their main draw cards; but Sri Lankan leopard would be a more exciting replacement for elephants than extending the Savannah.

Auckland Zoo have the space on the site of the elephant exhibit to build a decent sized complex with other species from South Asia like Indian antelope.

As the Sri Lankan leopard breeding programme becomes more established, it might lead to Auckland Zoo considering acquiring them (even if exhibited elsewhere in the zoo). Either way, they’ve got time to assess options with Burma’s export delayed and their current focus on completing the South East Asian precinct.

Matt_C, Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Gender of cubs confirmed:

Following the announcement by @Zorro yesterday that Darling Downs Zoo has welcomed two Sri Lankan leopards cubs, I’m excited to announce I have confirmation via the zoo that the cubs are a male and a female.

I’d like to take this opportunity to congratulate Darling Downs Zoo on successfully breeding the first female of this species in the region.

This female cub is an asset to the breeding programme and will likely form a pair with one of the young males at Canberra. Such a pairing would potentially leave their respective male siblings available for placement at a fourth and fifth facility in the region if desired.

Tigergal, jay, akasha and 2 others like this.
  8. Zorro

Yes its a nice mile stone for the zoo and a first I hope others zoos in the region take advantage of these cubs and become part of the EEP for SL

Tigergal and Patrick Keegan like this.
  9. Zoofan15

To have two unrelated breeding pairs is a hugely exciting prospect.

The Sumatran tiger breeding programme similarly began with two pairs of tigers in 1979 and by the time the regional breeding programme had grown to include eight holders by 2000 - only two further imports (each consisting of a single tiger) had been needed to supplement the population.

With the creation of a third breeding pair, we have more than enough to supply several other zoos if the demand is there.

Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  10. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I'm imagining how spectacular it would be if the fake leopard in the fig tree at Taronga eventually ended up being a real one! (Not sure how practical it would be, both in terms of modifying that exhibit and potentially freaking out the langurs opposite, but it would certainly be magnificent).

Do Sri Lankan Leopards swim?

Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Sri Lankan leopards are strong swimmers and readily take to water.

It’s interesting you mention that inter-species interaction as Auckland Zoo used to house their Chacma baboon troop alongside a male Jaguar. They ignored each other for the most part, but one day the Jaguar was seen stalking the baboons, with the dominant male making a threat display in response. The keeper who detailed this advised no stress was caused to either party and suggested it may have actually been an enriching experience.

The Sri Lankan leopard and langurs could similarly benefit from your idea.

12. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that interesting story! Generally I'm always in favour of when enrichment can be provided through species housed near each other, so that's great to hear that it occurred at Auckland Zoo and could be the case in other circumstances as well.

13. Zoofan15

No problem. :) Hamilton Zoo similarly have their Cheetah exhibit overlooking the ungulates on the Savannah; and Auckland Zoo have overhead tunnels connecting their Sumatran tiger exhibits - one of which passes over the Asian small-clawed otter exhibit.

Given leopards are expert tree climbers, a branch over looking a prey species would be endlessly enriching for them and quickly become a favourite spot. A strategically placed visitor viewing platform could be an ideal way to capitalise on this.

Matt_C, Jambo, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That would be quite a sight! The leopard was initially designed there to overlook the deer below as if it was hunting.

They could easily add netting around the enclosure which would allow the Leopards to climb the giant fig tree and get a nice view of their surrondings, such as the Languar! The enclosure is already a nice size for a Leopard, although Taronga would only have the space to hold a single individual, which may be beneficial as in the future a zoo that holds non breeding individuals will be needed.

15. Zoofan15

Adelaide Update

Thanks to @Swanson02 for this update that two keepers at Adelaide Zoo have advised Snow leopard are now the preferred big cat species for Adelaide over Sri Lankan leopard. This is hugely disappointing news given they’re the only facility in the region who have publicly stated an intention to support the current holders.

Interestingly, the Sri Lankan leopard was downgraded from endangered to vulnerable in 2020. An endangered conservation status would have previously been their sway factor over the Snow leopard, which is also listed as vulnerable; along with their suitability to Adelaide’s climate. With this in mind, it’s reasonable to conclude Snow leopard have also been assessed as a more popular drawcard with the general public.

We’ve speculated that other facilities may have an interest in Sri Lankan leopard e.g. Mogo Zoo and Melbourne Zoo, but this remains speculation and to date no zoos have expressed an interest in acquiring the 3.1 available leopards we have in the region (including an unrelated breeding pair).

Tigergal, Patrick Keegan and Abbey like this.
  16. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

The two keepers I did talk to about leopards (one a Tiger keeper and one from the nocturnal house) both said that management was currently preferring Snow Leopards for Adelaide. Art including snow leopards is displayed all over the bamboo trail. So I'd wager they were in the plans for the area even before the Pandas arrived. It's just Adelaide has never had the guarantee the pandas would remain so have been wary to expand the South East China area any further.

Interestingly the nocturnal keeper did mention Monarto as an option for Sri Lankan leopards* (she was speculating). So ZoosSA may have both species in their plans just one for each zoo. I could see them being displayed at Monarto as a substitute for African leopards like how Bioparc Valencia does with their Sri Lankans. Although I don't think the drive through bus format suits them the same way it does Monarto's other 4 carnivores. The allure of displaying the 'Big 5' (Asian Water Buffalo substituted in too) might be what draws Sri Lankans to Monarto rather than Adelaide.

17. Zoofan15

That’s interesting. Sri Lankan leopard appear to be a poor fit for an open range safari park, though I note their habitat does include open plains as well as rainforest. I also feel Zoos SA should be playing to their respective strengths in planning their collection - Sri Lankan leopards at Adelaide; giraffes at Monarto.

However, what could work well is the inclusion of this species via walking trails like at the Singapore Zoo Night Safari. This would allow visitors an up close view of the leopards, which are more likely to be found laying across the branches of a tree than sprinting the length of an open field and add some variety to the collection - which could in time diversify to become a large South Asian precinct.

Either way, I hope for the sake of the regional breeding programme that Zoos SA include this species in one of their zoos. It’d be a shame to see Darling Downs Zoo and the National Zoo go unsupported in this pioneering venture.

Tigergal, Zorro, marmolady and 2 others like this.
  18. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

I agree I'd much rather prefer a 'walk by' exhibit and I definitely hope they come to South Australia in some form. Gorge is my next visit so I might ask if they are interested in Sri Lankan leopards. They have held generic leopards in the past so it isn't out of the question and leopards would be a point of difference for them against Adelaide and Monarto.

19. Zoofan15

I’d be amazed if Ballarat weren’t considering them as a replacement for their elderly male Sumatran tiger. They’d be the only holder in Victoria and could add a unique species to their collection that’s just as engaging as a tiger and cheaper to feed.

It’ll also be interesting to see Billabong replace their Snow leopards with Sri Lankan leopards when they pass. They acquired Taronga’s elderly Snow leopards as they were phasing out, but whether they would be readily supplied new young leopards via Melbourne remains to be seen. The infrastructure they have in place could easily be remodelled for Sri Lankan leopards and their AC bill would drop dramatically.

Zorro, Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  20. Zorro

I really believe with Adelaide zoos very small size it would be better having the range type species moved to monarto permanently including the giraffe. They would be better using the small land area for smaller species and perhaps have both snow leopards and Sri Lankan leopards.it would be a logical the have big species in a place where they can do them justice. There are so many small species that could well use the space available including the big ticket drawcard of gorillas.
    A focus on rain forest species would be ideal in Adelaide and safari game type species in the massive area not far away at monarto

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.