Join our zoo community

Australasian Mandrill Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australasian Mandrill Population

Mandrills are currently held at two facilities and descend from a small number of founders.

Melbourne Zoo’s last Mandrills were Louise (born 25/02/1986 at Adelaide Zoo) and her daughter, Timbiri (born 23/12/1994 at Melbourne Zoo). They bred with a male named Yonaton (born 19/10/1994 at Jerusalem Biblical Zoo) to produce a handful of offspring - including Lara in 2002, Tabah in 2005 and Leroy in 2007. Melbourne Zoo phased out Mandrill from their collection in 2017, upon the deaths of Louise and Timbiri.

Adelaide currently hold the only breeding troop in the region (Tasmania Zoo hold a non breeding pair); and since they feature in the zoo’s masterplan, their future at the zoo appears to be secure.

Adelaide Zoo:

1.0 Tabah (05/04/2005) Yonaton x Timbiri
    1.0 Jumoke (09/10/2017) Tabah x Niari
    0.1 Niari (00/05/1996) Unknown x Unknown
    0.1 Moabi (00/03/1998) Unknown x Unknown
    0.1 Mayombe (28/10/2010) Tabah x Niari

Tasmania Zoo:

1.0 Kouilou (00/04/2011) Tabah x Moabi
    0.1 Lara (20/01/2002) Yonaton x Louise

Total regional population: 3.4

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since Mandrills fit so well into the African forest exhibits so well I am surprised that both Taronga and the Melbourne zoos do not have a group at each zoo. So if one takes out the Bongo, Mandrills and Pygmy Hippos, It appears to be an under whelming display all up.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2021
  3. Zoofan15

I don’t think anyone understands why Melbourne Zoo phased this species out. The world’s most colourful mammal was highly popular with the visitors and a perfect species for any city zoo.

I really hope this species persists in the region, though I’m not aware of any other facilities planning to acquire them. The females at Adelaide are getting on in their years, so hopefully some fresh imports will tie in with the masterplan.

4. kiwimuzz

kiwimuzz Well-Known Member

How much would it cost to import a couple of Mandrills for Tasmania Zoo? Is it time to start a “go fund me” page?

Jambo, boof and Zorro like this.
  5. Zoofan15

Historical Information on Adelaide’s Mandrill

I’ve found out some additional information on Adelaide’s troop (including the origin and parentage of their females):

Adelaide Zoo have held Mandrill since 1963.

Niari and Moabi were both born at Adelaide Zoo. Niari was born May 1996 to a female named Sanaga; Moabi was born March 1998 to a female named Penny.

Penny (born 1988) was the ninth Mandrill born at Adelaide zoo; Sanaga (born 1991) was the twelfth. (Note: Louise, who was born at Adelaide Zoo in 1986, was presumably a sister or half sister to Penny and Sanaga).

The sire of Niari and Moabi was a male named Brazza. He was born at Taronga Zoo in November 1987. Another of his offspring was a male named Manja (born to Penny), who was sent to Tasmania Zoo.

0.1 Niari (00/05/1996) Brazza x Sanaga
    0.1 Moabi (00/03/1998) Brazza x Penny

Swanson02, Jambo, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  6. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

According to adelaide zoo's website they now have only three mandrill
    0.1 Niari (00/05/1996) Unknown x Unknown
    Does anyone know what may have happened to
    0.1 Moabi (00/03/1998) Unknown x Unknown
    is it possible they went to Tasmania maybe even Melbourne zoo? or have they since died? I do remember only seeing three when I visited two weeks ago and just assumed the other two were hiding or off display

Last edited: 20 Sep 2021
    Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  7. Zoofan15

I think it’s unlikely they’d split the mother and daughter pair of Niari and Mayombe, unless Mayombe was urgently needed for breeding. While she’s the only reproductive age female in the region, the male at Tasmania Zoo is her half brother and not an ideal match when it’s possible to import more from overseas.

A new Mandrill exhibit features in Adelaide’s masterplan, so whatever the outcome, I’m hopeful they’ll import some young females in the near future to reboot their troop.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Confirmation from @Swanson02 via a keeper at Adelaide:

Melbourne do indeed have plans to import a new breeding group of Mandrill.

As we've already found out thanks to @Astrobird, it appears they were coming from San Diego. Although after crosschecking, San Diego only has four Mandrill, which would make a group import from there virtually impossible. San Diego do though, have two young males, and I think it'll be one of these two younger males that will be sent to Melbourne to head up the new breeding group.

It's unknown where the females will come from, or even when these imports happen; but by the sounds of it, they may take place sooner rather than later.

9. Zoofan15

If Melbourne are to import two males, it's likely they will be importing at least four females to balance out the gender ratio. I'd assumed they'd start smaller - with 1.2 so possibly the comment about Mandrill coming from San Diego was reference to the export of a single male.

Adelaide has two males (including a young malr), so they'd have no use for the second San Diego male. It'd also be advantageous to have two unrelated troops for future exchanges.

Swanson02 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  10. Jambo

I think only one of the males will be arriving from San Diego (possibly the older male). Melbourne has a smallish exhibit, so wouldn't be able to hold a group of six Mandrills alongside offspring.

The male from San Diego will likely arrive first, followed by the two or so females from elsewhere (i'm assuming Europe).

Adelaide will probably end up importing females from overseas too to continue breeding with their troop.

11. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

Adelaide won't integrate their current group with a new troop at least until their older male has passed. I was also told that they may just wait for all three to pass (Or let the older two pass and send the young male to Melbourne) and start over with a completely new group.

12. Jambo

Tabah's 17 so still has possibly many more years ahead of him. Niari's older though, so she's in her twilight years.

I would rather Adelaide retain Jumoke as their future breeding male. Melbourne are apparently attempting to import one of San Diego's young male so it wouldn't make sense for Melbourne to import two males.

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another option would be they could place their current Mandrills to a smaller zoo within the region and then focus on building the new larger group sooner than later.

14. Zoofan15

The breeding pair are both elderly and will likely pass on in the next few years. One option could be to transfer their young son to Melbourne and for Melbourne to receive females from overseas. Adelaide could then import new Mandrill from overseas to found am unrelated troop.

15. Jambo

Melbourne do plan to import a male from San Diego though so this wouldn't make much sense.

It would be much better to start a new troop at Adelaide with Jumoke as breeding male.

16. Zoofan15

Just to be clear that at no point have we had confirmation Melbourne are receiving a male from San Diego. This was an assumption made by members given the demographics of San Diego's troop.

When first mentioned it was implied the Mansrill Melbourne received would be coming from San Diego alone rather than a male from there and females from elsewhere.

Given the age of the parents at San Diego, I think it makes sense to import one of their toubg sons and females from elsewhere; but this is speculation on our part - not confirmed fact.

17. Jambo

Yes, it's just speculation. There's really no other choices though (if the mandrills are coming from San Diego) - aside from one of the young males.

It's thus reasonable to assume the females would be coming from elsewhere.

@Swanson02 did confirm Melbourne will acquiring a breeding group which seems to reference more than one female; so it indicates San Diego (who have one) won't be the only zoo Melbourne's receiving individuals from.

Patrick Keegan, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Agreed. But like I said in my post above, this isn't fact. These are assumptions.

It would be ideal if Melbourne can receive unrelated founders and breed a succession of offspring as long term, it gives the opportunity to transfer first generation females to Adelaide to form a troop with Jumoke once his parents have passed.

Tasmania Zoo will presumably be keen to continue with this species and would take a surplus male from Melbourne's troop when their male passes on in a decade or so.

19. Jambo

It is an assumption yes - but a fairly certain one. San Diego only has their younger males to offer, so if they're coming from San Diego, it will be to form a breeding group with females from other facilities. San Diego dosen't have females to offer.

I agree regarding Tasmania. They're unlikely to hold a breeding group, and will continue holding surplus male offspring.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Mandrill Population Update

————————

Adelaide Zoo

Follow up on Moabi/Mayombe:

I have confirmation on the fate of the following Mandrill:

0.1 Moabi (1998) died in September 2021 aged 23 years.

0.1 Mayombe (2010) was transferred in September 2021 to Tasmania Zoo.

Thank you to @Patrick Keegan for this information.

Future Plans:

Thank you to @Swanson02 for confirmation via his visit that Adelaide Zoo plan to receive more Mandrill in the future - to be housed in the new African area.

The keeper advised the plan is for the current troop to die out first, before they receive new Mandrill. We can assume this refers to the elderly pair (Tabah and Niari); with new females joining their almost five year old son, Jumoke.

————————
    ————————

Melbourne Zoo

Mandrill are returning to Melbourne Zoo:

@Astrobird was advised Melbourne Zoo will be importing Mandrill from San Diego Zoo; while @Swanson02 was told by a keeper at Adelaide that Melbourne Zoo will hold a breeding troop.

This information suggests Melbourne will import one of San Diego’s young males (in addition to females from another source/s) but this is unconfirmed at this stage.

————————
    ————————

Revised Population List

Adelaide Zoo:

0.1 Niari (00/05/1996) Brazza x Sanaga

Tasmania Zoo:

1.0 Kouilou (00/04/2011) Tabah x Moabi
    0.1 Lara (20/01/2002) Yonaton x Louise

Total regional population: 3.3