Join our zoo community

Australasian Snow Leopard Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Patrick Keegan, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

There are currently Three Zoos in Australasia Housing Snow Leopards Billabong Koala and Wildlife Park; Melbourne zoo; and Mogo Wildlife Park. Taronga Zoo and the National Zoo and Aquarium used to house snow leopards but the former sent their last pair to Billabong in early 2015 and the latter's pair died in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Wellington Zoo in New Zealand Plans To import a non breeding Pair in late 2021/early 2022. Any births, deaths or transfers will be recorded below and an update of the population list will occur when required. Corrections/further information are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Billabong Zoo, NSW, Australia
    0.1 Samara (Lanak x Fuji) 29-05-2001 At Mulhouse Zoo, France; imported 2003
    1.0 Khumbu (Mangar x Lena) 12-10-2003 At Mogo Wildlife Park, NSW, Australia
    1.0 Sabu (Leon x Samara) 00-00-2005 At Taronga Zoo, NSW, Australia

Melbourne Zoo, VIC, Australia
    1.0 Sundar (Leon x Meo) 7-12-2008 At Melbourne Zoo, VIC, Australia
    1.0 Kang Ju (Unknown x Unknown) 00-00-2015 At Nuremberg Zoo, Germany; imported 2017
    0.1 Miska (Wolfgang x Kadi) 11-06-2016 At South Lakes Safari Zoo, UK; Imported 2017
    1.0 Sikari (Kang Ju x Miska) 26-01-2020 At Melbourne Zoo
    0.1 Asha (Kang Ju x Miska) 26-01-2020 At Melbourne Zoo
    0.1 Manju (Kang Ju x Miska) 26-01-2020 At Melbourne Zoo

Mogo Wildlife Park, NSW, Australia
    0.1 Tenzin (Mangar x Lena) 12-10-2003 At Mogo Wildlife Park, NSW, Australia

Current Population: 10 (5.5)

Last edited: 14 Feb 2021
  2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Nice work. According to the 2008 International Snow leopard Studbook, Samarra's parents are male Lanak (1995) and female Fuji (1993).

Tafin, Jambo and Patrick Keegan like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of the Melbourne cubs come to Wellington Zoo, who could hold them for five or so years until they went into breeding placements. Prior to their birth, Wellington Zoo stated their intention was to import non breeding Snow leopards from the USA however.

With Mogo Zoo under new management, it’ll be interesting to see if they revitalise what was once a thriving Snow leopard population at their zoo. They’re one of only two zoos in the region to successfully breed more than one litter of cubs; the other being Melbourne, who’ve bred several litters.

Tafin, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  4. Patrick Keegan

Thank you for that I will fix that now

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am surprised Mogo are down to one since they were one of the main stays in the region for the species for some time!

6. Zoofan15

At their height Mogo Zoo had two pairs - the non breeding, elderly pair from Taronga; and the younger breeding pair and their offspring. They went to the effort of importing a mate for their female (Tenzin) from Sweden and had the intention of breeding, but sadly weren’t successful.

When Mogo’s numbers reached a single pair, they could have imported more; but have obviously chosen not to for some reason. Their climate isn’t ideal for these cats: so perhaps like the National Zoo, they plan to invest in Sri Lankan leopards instead.

I don’t necessarily fear for the future of Snow leopards in the region at the expense of a breeding programme for Sri Lankan leopard. Melbourne are clearly committed to them; and Wellington plan to acquire them. I think it’s more about zoos being realistic about what’s best suited to their zoo.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think climate wise, it would be better to have snow leopards in New Zealand zoos. Nice mix with red panda and perhaps a primate species like gibbon, macaque or leaf monkey.
    Further to stick with Sri Lankan leopards in Australian zoos.

marmoset23, Zorro, TNT and 2 others like this.
  8. Patrick Keegan

Last Sunday I visited billabong zoo and did the snow leopard encounter. all 3 snow leopards are still alive and well including samara who is turning 20 in just a week though she is slightly slowing down due to arthritis and other age related problems. here is a photo of khumbu in the main exhibit and samara behind the scenes. I wasn't allowed to take photos of Sabu due to privacy policies.

Attached Files:

Tigergal, Zoofan15, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  9. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Information for KANG JU at Malbourne: He was born on 11 August 2015 at Nuremberg, moving to Melbourne in November 2017, and his parents are male Indra (ISB No.2566) and female Pia (ISB No.2430). The male imported in 2010 by Mogo was ILYAN (born 24 May 2008 at Norden's Ark, Sweden).
    Can anyone tell me what became of ILYAN at Mogo, or KEMALA (Sabu's littermate), who went to Billabong in April 2012? And any information on LEON, MEO and MANGAR would also be greatly appreciated.

Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  10. Patrick Keegan

Ilyan i believe is dead.
    Kamala apparently died in (i believe 2018).
    Leon Meo and Mangar have also since died but I don't know much else or when.

Zoofan15 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Zoofan15

This is what I have on Mangar:

Mangar (M)
    Born at Melbourne Zoo 20/03/1989
    Sent to Taronga Zoo 28/02/1990
    Returned to Melbourne Zoo 18/04/1991
    Sent to Mogo Zoo 10/10/1995 (Died UNK)

He sired two litters at Mogo Zoo in 1999 and 2003 (each containing 1.1 cubs).

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  12. Zorro

Its quite surprising Snow Leopards are not in NZ collections the climate would be ideal for them!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

Fingers crossed they’ll be making a long awaited return to Wellington Zoo in the next year.

Support for this species in the region does seem rather half-hearted, with only one zoo having bred them in the last decade - versus three zoos breeding between 2003 and 2008. Wellington Zoo previously stated their imported pair will be non breeding.

Since two of the holders in the region have elderly cats, it’ll be interesting to see if they phase out this species. I’m predicting Mogo will as they have the means to import, but have chosen not to; while Billabong would surely be grateful to receive surplus cubs from Melbourne Zoo (allowing them to breed again).

StoppableSan and Zorro like this.
  14. Zorro

This is nothing new having half-hearted support for some species within our region, One could make a whole list of them. :rolleyes:

jay and Zoofan15 like this.
  15. Zoofan15

Just a quick correction that Sundar is a female. She’s never bred due to carrying genes for eye defects, inherited from her sire. These eye defects were passed on to her half siblings, Sabu (at Billabong) and Kemala (deceased), who have also never bred.

It was good to see a small zoo/wildlife park acquire Snow leopards surplus to the breeding programme. It’d be nice if this happened more often with Snow leopards (and in the future, Sri Lankan leopards) as it’s a win-win for all - the small zoos get a keystone attraction; the zoo’s with breeding pairs can breed more often; and a larger pool of Snow leopards is available to sub in genetically healthy non breeding cats when needed e.g. upon the unexpected/premature death of a sibling in a breeding situation.

marmolady and Zorro like this.
  16. Zorro

One would believe that there are more than enough smaller regional zoos now that could hold both species :)

marmolady, Zoofan15 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Something that had wondering before along these lines.
    Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington Zoo all have better climate tan Australia for snow leopard and another big cat breeding platform!

Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Don’t forget Hamilton Zoo. Snow leopard would be a better choice than a THIRD Sumatran tiger exhibit imo.

StoppableSan and Zorro like this.
  19. Patrick Keegan

Must've been a typing error i can't edit and fix it now

20. Patrick Keegan

Male snow leopard Sikari has been moved to Tasmania Zoo

From social media:

He’s all grown up, and the time has come to bid a fond farewell to Melbourne Zoo’s Snow Leopard cub Sikari. Sikari arrived safety at Tasmania Zoo last week and is already exploring his new home.

At 18 months old, Sikari and his sisters Asha and Manju are at the age when wild Snow Leopard cubs also leave their mothers to establish a new territory. Sikari is now doing that as part of the international breeding program that preserves an insurance population for this beautiful species, which sadly is classified as Vulnerable in the wild.

Sikari’s sisters Asha and Manju remain at Melbourne Zoo, but it’s expected they will also move to a new home sometime next year as part of the international program.

This now brings the amount of holders in Australasia to four

akasha, marmolady and Zoofan15 like this.