Join our zoo community

Australasian Tapir Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Patrick Keegan, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

currently 2 zoos in Australasia house Malayan Tapirs (Adelaide Zoo and Melbourne Zoo). Adelaide Zoo houses a Daughter Born At Adelaide to a male imported from Singapore Zoo in 1997 [died 2008] and a female from Henry Doorly Zoo (USA) in 1998 [still at Adelaide]. Melbourne Zoo houses a female born at Taronga Zoo in Sydney in 1999 to a male imported from Toronto Zoo (Canada) in 1996 [at Hunter Valley Zoo since mid-2015, died August 2018] and a female from Philadelphia Zoo (USA) in 1998 [died 2008]. All individuals in Australia are blind and there are no plans to replace these tapirs once they are gone.

2 Zoos in Australasia currently house Brazilian Tapir (Adelaide Zoo and Darling Downs Zoo). Adelaide Zoo houses a male [bred at WPZ in 2006 and was later kept at Melbourne from 2011 to 2019] and 2 females a mother born at Marwell Zoo (UK) in 1987 and imported to Adelaide in 1990 and her daughter born at Adelaide in 2002. Darling Downs Zoo houses a male and was WPZ's breeding male before retiring to Alma Park Zoo in 2012, and then Darling Downs Zoo in 2014 after alma's closure. The female was born at Adelaide Zoo in 1998 moved to Taronga in 2006, then DDZ in 2014. Mogo Wildlife Park and Hamilton Zoo in New Zealand also used to house Brazilian tapirs (with Mogo's last individual dying in 2016 and Hamilton's pair dying in 2016 and 2019 respectively).

Malayan Tapir

Adelaide Zoo, SA, Australia

0.1 Mia (Unknown x Unknown) 00-00-1996 Henry Doorly Zoo, USA; Imported 1998
    0.1 Jelita (Sulong x Mia) 00-00-2000 Adelaide Zoo, SA, Australia

Melbourne Zoo, VIC, Australia
    0.1 Semangka (Berani x Denise) 00-00-1999 Taronga Zoo, NSW, Australia

Brazilian Tapir

Adelaide Zoo

1.0 Arturo (Tiapo X Tupi ) 01-04-2006 Taronga Western Plains Zoo, New South Whales, Australia
    0.1 Talara (Unknown x Unknown) 21-09-1987 Marwell Zoo, UK; imported 1990
    0.1 Chiquita (Unknown x Talara) 27-08-2002 Adelaide Zoo, SA Australia

Darling Downs Zoo
    1.0 Alf (Unknown x Unknown) 00-00-1991 Adelaide Zoo, SA, Australia
    0.1 Tiquie (Unknown x Talara?) 00-00-1998 Adelaide Zoo, SA, Australia

Last edited: 14 Feb 2021
  2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A few notes:

*Alf, DDZ's male Brazilian Tapir was born at Adelaide Zoo in 1991.

*Arturo, Adelaide's male Brazilian Tapir was born on 1st April 2006. He was born to female Tupi and male Tiapo. He is our youngest tapir in the region.

*Adelaide Zoo's male Malayan Tapir (and Jelita's sire) was a male called Sulong (1987-2008). He came from Singapore.

Swanson02, kiwimuzz, Jambo and 4 others like this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am surprised another species being at such a low ebb in the region!

Swanson02 likes this.
  4. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is it possible that Alf’s mother could be Talara as well? She was at Adelaide zoo at the time of his birth and would have been sexually mature by that stage

Swanson02 likes this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remain a fervent supporter of having all Malayan tapir transferred to S.E. Asian zoos, preferably Singapore, Taipei and Seoul Zoos or any Japan JAZGA accredited zoos where they can make a meaningful impact on breeding even when blind.

I have seen some of the zoo exhibits in Australia for them and literally they are a joke for an essential crepuscular forest species. No wonder animal welfare issues with too much sun exposure and lack of suitable outdoor pools and forest exclosures did the trick of blinding individual animals.

I do believe ZAA should have acted upon this years ago and ensured their genetic lineages are not lost on the world captive population, which they truly are under current conditions.

Swanson02, StoppableSan and Zorro like this.
  6. Zorro

I believe there was very little chance ever of them being transferred any where!

Swanson02 likes this.
  7. Patrick Keegan

Was at Adelaide zoo today it seems only one malayan tapir was on display i never managed to ask but I think I can assume that one one of them may have died presumably Mia if anyone wants to confirm would be good

PaddyRickMFZ, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Adelaide Zoo still have both Malayan Tapir. They are housed separately so members of the public would only ever see one of them at a time on display.

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  9. Zorro

I had thought when the Zoos in Australia decided to phase out the Malayan Tapirs that they might of exported them to join other collections and perhaps even be able to join a breeding program. Its also a shame to see how the Brazilian Tapirs have dwindled down to 4? now the the whole region. In fact I believe we are going to see quite a few species drop off the radar in Aussie collections in the next couple of years.

Swanson02 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the transfer of Melbourne’s male Brazilian tapir to Adelaide was as much about an opportunity to phase something else out, as it was to create a last ditch opportunity for breeding. Talara is well past her prime and has never bred before, so I hold out no hope for success here.

Hamilton Zoo tried for many years to breed their pair without success. They were housed together full time for over a decade before they trialled separating them for extended periods and reintroducing when the female was in season.

11. Zoofan15

Hamilton Zoo - Brazilian Tapir

Some info on New Zealand’s last tapir:

1.0 Branco
    Born at Taronga Western Plains Zoo October 1990
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 1991
    Died at Hamilton Zoo September 2016

0.1 Mrs Branco
    Born at Adelaide Zoo May 1991
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 1992
    Died at Hamilton Zoo June 2019

It’s possible that Mrs Branco was the daughter of Talara (born at Marwell Zoo in 1987), as Talara was imported by Adelaide Zoo in 1990; though I note another tapir (Alf) was born at Adelaide Zoo the same year as Mrs Branco, suggesting they had two breeding females (or Mrs Branco and Alf were twins).

upload_2021-9-11_20-31-38.jpeg
    Photo credit to @Tygo

12. Patrick Keegan

As mentioned in the Darling Downs Zoo thread Alf the brazilian tapir died age 30. This leaves the population at 1.3

13. Zoofan15

I believe Alf holds the record for male longevity of his species in the region. I’m glad he was able to enjoy his retirement years at Darling Downs Zoo.

Regionally, the population of this species is looking pretty dire with all hopes resting on the younger female at Adelaide producing offspring. Given she’s never bred before and is approaching 20, I’m not holding out much hope.

Hopefully in the future, some imports can be arranged - along with giraffes, hippos and many others. :rolleyes:

14. Zorro

Sad news. Lots of species needing new imported bloodline’s within our region

15. Patrick Keegan

Malayan tapir death at Adelaide and future plans for both species:

As mentioned by @Swanson02 in the adelaide zoo thread and according to their website Jelita is their only Malayan tapir left meaning Mia has died at some point within this year bringing the regional population down to two females (0.2),

0.1 Jelita (Sulong x Mia) 00-00-2000 at Adelaide Zoo
    &
    0.1 Semangka (Berani x Denise) 00-00-1999 at Melbourne zoo.

It is also confirmed that once jelita dies adelaide zoo will not house any more Malayan tapir which might be sooner than later given that she's said to have bad arthritis in her back left leg.

The zoo will focus on brazilian tapir, when their three (1.2) eldery animals die they will import a new breeding pair.

To lose Malayan tapir in the region will be disappointing but it is the best decision based on their welfare as they dont do well in the hot australian climate and I look forward to the bright future brazilian tapir will hopefully have in the region with darling downs zoo and hopefully many more zoos coming on board with the breeding program of this remarkable species in the region.

16. Zorro

I had read some tome back that breeding Brazilian Tapir in Europe has been halted due to them running at maximum capacity also the same for Indian rhinos

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  17. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Melbourne also plans to phase them out upon Semangka's death.

It'll be a sad day when Semangka finally dies as the region will be without Malayan Tapirs. Hopefully Melbourne can maybe get on board with Adelaide and join the Brazilian Tapir breeding program as a replacement.

18. Zoofan15

It’s sad that we’ll soon seen an end to this charismatic species, but I agree they’re not suitable for the climate of the region and that not importing more is the right move.

The Brazilian tapir, while less striking in appearance, is well suited to our climate and can be easily sourced from both North America and Europe. I’ve heard Hamilton Zoo have an interest in acquiring this species again, so hopefully they’ll rejoin the breeding programme one day too.

Matt_C, marmolady and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

I hope we get a few zoos importing pairs or small breeding groups. Brazilian Tapirs are also generally the most social of the tapir species so can probably be held in little groups with a couple of cows and their young.

Also, the pool keeper said Adelaide wouldn't have bred Arturo and Chiquita even if she was cycling as they are related. I had half the mind to say that hasn't stopped them with 90% of the other ungulate species.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Aug 2022
    Zorro, Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  20. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Correct re Brazilian Tapir.

However, don't hold your breath waiting for any to arrive from Europe.
    The EEP will only allow entire animals to be exported if the receiving zoo signs a binding agreement that the exported animals, along with their progeny, always remain the property of the EEP.
    Should you not agree to that [we didn't] then you may be permitted to import some desexed reject.

Swanson02, Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.