Join our zoo community

Australasian Tapir Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Patrick Keegan, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Malayan Tapirs won't return. The Australian climate isn't suitable for them.

Brazilian Tapirs on the other hand, could very well make a return as the designated Tapir species for the region. Unlike Malayans, they're far more suited to the region.

Europe has a decent number of them to supply a few to Australian zoos so they could be another option. Asia would be better though, being closer.

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

River Wonders has held a mother and daughter pair of Brazilian tapirs ever since it opened. I'm not sure where you got the idea there was a birth.

Nadchew_ and Patrick Keegan like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The region made a collective decision years ago to phase Malayan tapir out. As I mentioned before, sunlight damages their eyes and leads to blindness - and the Australian sun is incredibly bright.

The focus of the region going forward will be on the Brazilian tapir. There will be options in Europe and the USA for importing this species. I’m confident this species will thrive in the region and we will have success (as we have done previously) in breeding them.

Matt_C, Zorro, Patrick Keegan and 2 others like this.
  4. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with the phase-out of Malayans in favor of Brazilians. In the future, I would prefer if the region did this more. I.e. only focusing on one species of bear (preferably Sloth), only one species of langur (Francois), only focusing on two species of gibbon (White-cheeked and Siamang), etc.

I understand it would make our zoos very monotonous and reduce their points of difference (a concept I find counterproductive). But in a world where imports are increasingly hard to come by having sustainable insurance populations for both conservation and the continuation of our zoos is more important.

Matt_C, Zorro, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  5. Zoofan15

It definitely makes sense from the perspective of a sustainable breeding programme and would consequently make imported species more resistant to phase outs.

There’s been times when the region has phased out one for the other with positive results. In the 1970’s, two zoos imported Sumatran tiger; two zoos imported Siberian tiger. By the 1990’s, the Siberian holders had recognised the Sumatran was a better fit for Australasia’s climate and phased them out - joining the Sumatran tiger breeding programme as the third and fifth holder. Today, this breeding programme consists of 41 tigers held across 18 zoos.

Conversely, we’ve also seen the region manage two similar species simultaneously e.g. Bornean and Sumatran orangutan, Southern white rhinoceros and South-central black rhinoceros and the three gibbon species held throughout the region.

Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It doesn't have to be an either one or the other situation. The Australian region is perfectly capable of housing multiple species of gibbons and the open range zoos could keep all three rhino species should they want to continue. The Siberian tiger vs Sumatran tiger comes down to climate factors and availability of new stock. It never made sense for the region to try and keep two subspecies.
    The problem is the chopping and changing of regional plans and having a consensus of zoos to stick to the plan. Too many recent examples: dhole, Philippine croc, Francois langur, fishing cat, clouded leopard, bongo... which have all been considered priority species that never got the backing of more than a handful of zoos. The nyala, plains zebra, Aldabra tortoise, Asian elephant, emperor/red-handed tamarin imports show that with better co-operation between zoos that a healthy regional population can be established from the start.

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But is the EEP a real option when any and all animals are still owned by the eep and any resulting off-spring?. What’s the point with this especially since they have halted breeding because they have reached capacity?. Why the over control with a species that’s not even a native species to that part of the world. It sounds like a bad deal to me.

8. Zoofan15

Receiving animals via the EEP may not be as problematic as it appears. They have a surplus like you say, so could easily supply us with multiple males and females and are less likely to require any of them back given they already have a large (presumably genetically diverse) population - that has taken their zoos to capacity.

If breeding really takes off at Darling Downs Zoo, Adelaide Zoo etc. then it’s hoped other holders will arise (Hamilton Zoo would like to hold this species again); but if not, then we’ll be left with a surplus of tapir (like we are now with leopard) and may be grateful to the EEP to take some back (especially males), so we can carry on breeding.

Cobi, Patrick Keegan and Swanson02 like this.
  9. Zorro

That’s a lot of maybe’s when paying huge freight bills

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  10. Jambo

If this is the case, they'd surely be happy to offload some individuals to Australia then.

11. Zorro

This begs the question why then would they want to retain ownership of them and any off spring bred?

12. Jambo

Australia won't have enough facilities (at least at the beginning) to maintain a successful regional population. So they'd have to operate out of whatever region they choose. This would be beneficial for us, as we can re-export out surplus breed here, and they can send in any further unrelated stock needed. Once more facilities jump on board, a firm population could be established.

13. Zorro

Do you know what the level of interest is among all the zoos within the region for this species?

14. Jambo

Adelaide and Darling Downs are the two that jump to mind. Aside from them, I don't know of any other known interest from other zoos. But, if Adelaide and DDZ are successful, that might inspire some other zoos to jump on board; at least if not our major zoos (like Melbourne, Taronga) some of the smaller zoos, like Halls Gap, Altina, Hunter Valley ect. may get involved.

15. Zorro

I believe there are more bro. :cool:

16. Zoofan15

The benefit of this species is that being semi-social, zoos can house females in groups (males being aggressive over mating rights). If each facility began with a 1.1 pair, retained a daughter and then swapped males, that would give each facility a cohesive 1.2 breeding group.

It’ll be interesting to see which other facilities have an interest in them. It’d be nice to see them return to Hamilton Zoo given they had an interesting mixed species exhibit with the spider monkeys. Auckland Zoo may even have an interest as the South American precinct is looking a little bleak these days.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  17. Jambo

Can you so much as hint at which?:D

Melbourne may too. Dubbo would be a good choice too, as they have the space, and have previously succeeded in breeding this species.

18. Zoofan15

Brazilian tapir and Maned wolf would both be instrumental in developing a South American precinct at Melbourne Zoo since we know the apex drawcard (Jaguar) isn’t an option. This could be one of many options for when they redevelop the elephant exhibits (post 2024).

That said, neither species are endangered, which is the reason Melbourne Zoo lost interest in them in the first place.

It’d be good if Melbourne Zoo announced what they’ve decided will replace the elephants. All the other main zoos have shared aspects of their masterplan (if not, the whole thing) which has surely generated positive interest in the future of their zoos.

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  19. Jambo

Brazilians are vulnerable, so very close to being endangered. Melbourne only moved Arturo to give Semangka outside space (she previously lived in a small off display yard for many years). I'd imagine if they're given the chance, they may jump back on board with this species. Malayans serve a valuable conservation message, and Brazilians could be ambassadors for them.

Melbourne do have a masterplan, and it's a shame they're not sharing it. I'm assuming though, it isn't anything major. Most of parts of the zoo are up to date, and even though we'd like to see areas like Growing Wild replaced; they're fairly new, so the zoo won't be renovating that area anytime soon.

I'm sure Melbourne have something up their sleeve when deciding what replaces their elephants. I'm hoping they'll take this opportunity to maybe take a look back at Hancock's masterplan. Melbourne currently lacks a South American rainforest area.

20. Zoofan15

Melbourne Zoo may consider Brazilian tapir, but I would assume they’ll pursue more enabling options. The Malayan tapir is striking, but the general public don’t pay a huge amount of interest in their Brazilian counterparts.

The South American continent is poorly represented throughout our region’s zoos. The obvious reason is the lack of South American megafauna in Australasia (namely Jaguar). Previously zoos who held Jaguar displayed them alongside other large felids; but were they here today, there’d be the opportunity for zoos like Melbourne to consider a spectacular South American precinct - supplemented by a multitude of monkey species.