Join our zoo community

Australasian Tapir Population

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Patrick Keegan, 14 Feb 2021.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Knowing Melbourne I think they'll wait until the Peccaries die, and leave the Tapir enclosure empty in the meantime. ;) Or throw some ducks in there. :D

Capybara would actually suit the enclosure too. I think they're a good secondary option if Melbourne don't wish to reimport Brazilian Tapir.

PaddyRickMFZ and Patrick Keegan like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Semangka the Malayan tapir is 23 years old and getting on in years, so her exhibit could open up long before the last peccaries pass on.

Potentially Melbourne could join a group import of Brazilian tapir and hold a single male with the view of acquiring surplus females from imported pairs at other zoos down the line once the two exhibits are merged into one.

It wouldn’t be difficult to hold a single tapir off display during this time and would give them something more inspiring to put in the empty Malayan tapir exhibit than ducks.

Swanson02 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  3. Jambo

I would honestly be widely surprised if Melbourne plan to reimport Brazilian Tapir, at least in the meantime. I mean, within the past decade the only interesting import we've had is some Nyala (which probably haven't even arrived yet), and some Dingoes, which are supposedly off display.

Saying that, I would prefer for Melbourne to import Brazilian Tapir, and they might for all we know. But realistically, it's unlikely imo. I'll see if I can ask about this during my next visit.

4. Zoofan15

Unfortunately I don’t think they’d give you an answer on an import that’s likely years away (with the other zoos looking at a similar timeframe as well). The elephant phase out will hopefully motivate them to think outside the box and apply themselves to overseas imports - and not just for the purpose of replacing the elephants.

The alternative is other zoos do the leg work and import a handful of Brazilian tapir between them, that in turns supply those who chose not to support. Europe is apparently overstocked and won’t want our surplus sent there.

5. austrlain zoo gower

austrlain zoo gower Well-Known Member

Melbourne hasnt got there nyala yet and they have been on the map for months, they left the pygmy hippo exhibit where petra lived vacent even to this day, and there is a sign that say something exiting is coming soon i will probarly be a species they already have, it would be good if they got a female pygmy hippo but that ist going to happen they could move the peccaries into the vacent hippo exibit which they have done before, then they could get to the tapir soon

6. austrlain zoo gower

Melbourne hasnt got there nyala yet and they have been on the map for months, they left the pygmy hippo exhibit where petra lived vacent even to this day, and there is a sign that say something exiting is coming soon i will probarly be a species they already have, it would be good if they got a female pygmy hippo but that ist going to happen they could move the peccaries into the vacent hippo exibit which they have done before, then they could get to the tapir soon

Zoofan15 likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

I believe the Nyala have been held u by integration issues on the Savannah re. giraffe and zebra. Werribee are easily able to accomodate them for longer.

I’d like your idea of shifting the peccaries into that exhibit (or transferring them to a zoo that will breed them) and repurposing the space for tapir; but sadly I don’t believe imports are on the horizon for this species. It’s more likely Melbourne will acquire them once other facilities have imported and bred imo.

On a personal note, I wish Melbourne Zoo (and others zoos) would stop baiting their visitors with signs promising something exciting is coming. The “something exciting” has been an anticlimax every time.

8. Jambo

Melbourne putting them on their map though seems to indicate they were there, at least at one point in time. It might be likely that they were only there temporarily (last year), before being sent elsewhere. They've been on that map (near the railway station entrance) for a while now. You would think they would've sent the Nyala last year, before Iris arrived. They had plenty of time to do this.

The Pygmy Hippo enclosure is too small for their Peccaries. They only held a single individual (Pickles, I believe) for a few years following Petre's death. Felix was in that enclosure last year when they had renovations in his enclosure. It's also held Carp in the past too. I believe it'll likely sit empty until a female Pygmy hippo can be imported; and this may still be years away.

I agree with @Zoofan15 , I don't see Melbourne importing Brazilian Tapir themselves. Maybe once other zoos acquire and breed them, they might have initiative to acquire some. But for now, I don't see them dedicating a whole complex for them, let alone importing any.

9. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

As mentioned on the zoo's website as well as the darling Downs zoo and exotic mammals thread tiquie has died this leaves adelaide zoo as the only holder of this species.

10. PaddyRickMFZ

PaddyRickMFZ Well-Known Member

Would a Malayan tapir not suit the soon to be vacated elephant barn at MZ if they wish to continue with that interesting species? And I could be wrong, but I believe there is enough empty space at growing Wild for a Brazilian Tapir and shared capybara exhibit

steveroberts likes this.
  11. austrlain zoo gower

If Melbourne wants to keep malyan tapir than the elphant barn idea is by far the best, but if they want to keep Brazilian tapir and capybara why not cominbde them in the 3rd elephant exibit as this species of tapir doesn’t have issues with the sun

steveroberts and PaddyRickMFZ like this.
  12. PaddyRickMFZ

I just figured having a capybara petting zoo near the children and introducing them to an animal as “funny looking” as the tapir would be quite beneficial

steveroberts likes this.
  13. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wonder if DDZ will look to acquire more Brazilian Tapirs soon, and perhaps if Hunter Valley Zoo might also. Maybe if they and Adelaide Zoo look to bringing new individuals in then maybe other zoos like Melbourne will come on board. Might suit Taronga too with those two exhibits in their 'Rainforest Trail' (formerly 'Wild Asia') given that they were initially built for Berani & Denise the Malayan Tapirs; and that precinct of the zoo now holds non Asian species like Pygmy Hippo and Eastern Bongo who I assume will move to the 'Congo' precinct when it is finished (I'd just call it 'Tropical Africa' cos Pygmy Hippos are from Liberia).

14. Jambo

They would; but it would have to be one enclosure imo..

There's no empty space in growing wild for a mixed exhibit with Capybara too. There is the former Mara walkthrough, but that would only be able to hold a few Capybara at most.

I do hope DDZ and Adelaide will hopefully work together on a Brazilian Tapir import down the line. The two Pygmy hippo exhibits at Taronga you refer to though are too small for Brazilians. If they somehow use the current Bongo enclosure too (connected), I do think it could work though.

Also, I was told the Pygmy Hippos and Bongo would be staying in their current exhibits.

PaddyRickMFZ likes this.
  15. PaddyRickMFZ

I meant with just empty space and unused enclosures like the coatis that could be repurposed

16. Jambo

I would like to see something like that happen.

There is some space where the former Tamarin/Coati enclosures were, that would be ideal. Some of it is VERY forested too which would be perfect shade wise.

PaddyRickMFZ likes this.
  17. PaddyRickMFZ

Whether MZ can actually be bothered is the question, but a mini South American precinct with monkeys, rodents, tapirs and even a coati reintroduction would be great. *maned wolf sadness continues*

Jambo likes this.
  18. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

Adelaide Zoo confirmed that Jelita is their last remaining Malayan Tapir. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned

19. PaddyRickMFZ

I was under the impression that was the case. When I saw a notification for this thread, I very much feared the worst

20. Zoofan15

Thanks, it was first mentioned in August 2022 but at that stage I think it was only an assumption Mia had died.

Hopefully their inclusion in the masterplan indicates an intention to import more long term. Melbourne Zoo apparently plan to and the Malayan tapir and Dusky langur are a great combination.