Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Australia Walkabout Exhibit

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 13 Oct 2016.

1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

I'm especially worried since the platypus house doesn't look that large. Lines may back up the rest of Australia Walkabout.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's what I'm thinking too, unfortunately, plus lines :( It would be a major trip for me, one I probably wouldn't get to do again for quite a few years, so I might as well wait until they're there.

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I decided to try contacting the zoo, asking if they had any sort of general idea when the platypus exhibit they're building might open so that I can plan my trip/wait a year or two and not miss seeing them. Here's the really boring response I received:

"Thank you for your interest in San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

San Diego Zoo Global works closely with zoos in Australia and has been entrusted with the care of a number of species native to that region (including koalas, Tasmanian devils and cassowaries). Our organization is interested in platypus and hopes to be able to bring this unique species to one of our parks sometime in the future. We look forward to your visit!"

4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is it that soon? I thought it would be opening in 2019?

5. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Btw. Has the Freckled Ducks and Australian Brush Turkeys gone on exhibit yet?