Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo australia zoo growing pains

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 2 Mar 2008.

1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, and I've been to most of the zoos/aquariums in Southeast Queensland. I was surprised how much of a presence Australia Zoo have kept of Steve Irwin, and it came across as a shrine to him. I was also impressed by not just the quality of the enclosures, but their sizes too, and the cleanliness of the whole park. They seem to have heaps of staff and the majority of visitors on the autumn day I went were not Australian. For a zoo that hasn't developed much in the last ten years, they are not hurting for attendance.

You also don't need to be Australian to keep tabs on this zoo - Zoochat can be quite informative at times. Despite the gossip and internal dramas, they run a great operation. It is a fine zoo to have locally and you must consider yourself lucky. Australia has plenty of sub-par zoos which rich collections, but not ideal facilities. It is wise for Australia Zoo to maintain quality over quantity.

Jambo, WhistlingKite24 and Chlidonias like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Glad you were impressed with the size of the enclosures so am I but that is not the question here.

You are just guessing what goes on there buy bits you read on the internet and living far away in the USA you know better than a local who stated going there over 4o years ago, I dont think so at all, I know a few people that worked there I assume that you dont have any insider knowage but you can guess all you want it does not make what you believe correct,

3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Zorro It is not worth having any further conversation with you if you intend to be unfriendly. Have a good evening.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree the situation with Australia is not as rosy as what media and some international coverage may have us belief. The Steve Irwin operation always had great PR and regular widely aired TV shows to that. However, since his unfortunate accidental death it certainly is not hunky dory up here and there have bee a few controversies relating to f.i. their wildlife rescue unit where some staffs walked out over the new management and operation of the facility as well as the falling out with Steve's next of kin and elder generation. These were not for no reason or unfounded I am afraid ...

I would be very interested right now over their current financial status and their day-to-day operation of the facility. Aside, it would be helpful if there are regular updates like an Annual Report with financial statements. Lastly, I do wonder why their development plans have really stalled.

Zorro likes this.
  5. Zorro

I agree Kifaru Bwana (rhino man) you put that very well indeed. The point in this thread more or less is still why the development plans have been stalled for so long still with no stage 2 or 3?

6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I doubt you will ever see an Annual Report or financial statements. They are a privately owned company with no obligation to make anything like that public and would be silly to do so.

One thing that seems to be missed here is maybe the current owners believe that the proposed expansion will not produce any significant growth in visitation, but will increase debt and operating expenses. In other words they may be quite able to go ahead but cannot see a return from it.

All private zoo owners have to ask themselves what do I achieve with that new animal/exhibit? Sometimes they just have to look at the situation and say we would be better off putting the money into superannuation.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
    MattyP, WhistlingKite24 and Jambo like this.
  7. Zorro

I agree with what you have said but they do say they want to keep Steve's dream alive in building this zoo so where would they go from here, As stated on their website "full steam ahead"

8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I can't help but sense there are a few people on this thread feeling frustrated because nobody wants to play along with their Australia Zoo Tycoon fantasy.....

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  9. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They don’t have the only multi species African exhibit in Queensland. Darling Downs Zoo has two multi species afrcian exhibits.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  10. Zorro

Correct,
    As I stated "above" "Australia zoo kept saying they had". I am aware what DDZ have as I visit often. AZ stated often they had the only African multi species in Qld with only 3 species exhibited.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A bit of a joke and rich claim is it not?

Zorro likes this.
  12. Zorro

I would have to agree since the Cheetah are not on show with an exhibit that only leaves, Zebra (3), Giraffe and Rhino. I guess some could expect more, I find some of their claims are just a lot of hype I would look forward to the day when at least one antelope can find its way into the zoos collection even a pair of Ostrich could be added but as has been said on other posts its the bare minimum collection

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Zorro

Some progress at the zoo of late, The renovated cafe is now open with vegan and gluten free foods as an option!

14. James w

James w Active Member 5+ year member

Found this thread really interesting. Ive worked as a voluntary and full time keeper in quite a few uk collections..left and went to wildlife hospital and native conservation surveys. As part of the job and as a hobby involved studying and touring collections all over
    Really want to visit australia collections because of the rare native species that are rarely seen outside the country I.e. platypus, dingo, some of the reptile species ( I survey reptiles).
    Whats interesting as a former keeper and an enthusiast is exactly what you guys are discussing. In the UK we have a few parks dedicated to native species, and a few showcased species in others in conservation projects.lot of reasons for this. People want ti see exotics, some small and difficulties in displaying effectively, list is long. With exotics and large fauna even the smaller collections even the small collections have a few large carnivore/herbivore species I.e. tapairs , big cats .
    Probably not making sense. But I went through a list if wildlife collections in oz on this page and amazed how many collections focus primarily on native species, and not exotics. I know the big zoos do, but here its probably 90 % exotics.
    Love this page..keeps my passion going..may return to the radio and badge/broom one day

15. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Your post makes complete sense and I fully agree with your assessment that many of the zoos/wildlife parks in Australia focus on holding native species.

The explanation is quite simple - Australia has several native animals that are enabling due to being suited to captivity; combined with their endemic status that makes them iconic to international tourists. People come to Australia from overseas wanting to see a Koala and a kangaroo; much the same how they come to New Zealand wanting to see a kiwi. Since Koalas and kangaroos are easy to obtain and exhibit, zoos would be mad not to comply with the demand from tourists to see them.

Beyond that, Dingo, wombat, Saltwater crocodile, Tasmanian devil, Platypus and Southern cassowary are probably next on a tourist’s list of must see species. Again, all except the Platypus fit the criteria of being easy to obtain and exhibit.

As a generalisation, zoos begin in Australia with native species as a foundation; and progress to holding exotics as funds allow.

As a fairly regular visitor to Australia, the exotic animals have more of an appeal to me; but I can certainly understand the appeal of the intriguing and unique native animals to visitors who have never seen them before.

StoppableSan, Jambo, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  16. Zorro

As a very long time follower of Australia zoo I have real mixed feeling’s about its on going progress or lack of anything of note (apart from the elephants). On one hand they have some stunning gardens and planting’s also its one of the cleanest zoos I’ve been to. with their animal husbandry with some species has been outstanding such as giraffe and white rhinos as an example. My main disappointment has been the many planned exhibits and species that never eventuated such as the planned Gorilla island and Orang u tangs. I believe if Austzoo developed a south east asian exhibit like the Auckland zoos new award winning show casings Orangs this could really give the zoo a boost that it needs.

Zoofan15, Jambo and Patrick Keegan like this.
  17. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia Zoo is a great zoo, but I do agree that they should probably broaden their collection a little more.

Their African Savannah precinct is amazing, but the addition of some more species to add to it, such as Lions, Baboons ect. could make it world class.

A South East Asian precinct could be fitting; considering they already have Sumatran Tiger, Red Panda, Binturong and Komodo Dragon. All they really need to complete this is some Orangutans.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  18. Zorro

While I would not put it in the great class yet the African exhibit is quite limited, I don’t believe 3 male zebras,no cheetah exhibit, no lions or even a few baboons cut the mustard or even adding a pair of Ostrich to the mix puts them even close to a world class exhibit. They do have the space and the climate to do great thing’s in the future I hope this can happen

Last edited: 16 Jan 2022
    StoppableSan and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

That is the difference between a government owned zoo and a commercial zoo. Both might want to build, say, a $10 million savannah exhibit.

The commercial zoo has to look at the proposition and ask the question will the new exhibit produce enough additional income to:
    • Pay the loan back
    • Pay the interest on the loan
    • Cover the running costs
    • Provide additional income above that to make the risk worthwhile.
    The government zoo can go to the government and request a grant for the exhibit on grounds such as the exhibit:
    • Increases community pride
    • Provides educational opportunities
    • Will increase visitor satisfaction
    • Will attract tourists
    • Will improve animal welfare
    • Is "world leading".
    Obviously the barriers to new exhibits are much higher for a commercial zoo. Yes, a new exhibit may give the zoo a boost but it would have to be quite a boost to justify something like the Auckland Zoo exhibits. Maybe the owners of the Australia Zoo are happy with the income it is producing now and if most visitors are happy, they may see no need to proceed with new exhibits currently.

20. Zorro

Perhaps that’s the case

Patrick Keegan likes this.