Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Australia Zoo has welcomed its sixth rhino calf.:)
    A male calf, ‘Kingston’ was born to mother, ‘Caballe’. He is currently eight weeks old.
    Crikey! Charge on in to see our new king!

Last edited: 18 Sep 2019
    Tafin, Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Exciting news! :) They’ve had quite a successful breeding program with their White Rhinos so far; It might be time to add a few more different genetics into the group. I think they could do with a new male.

Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

They have had excellent breeding success with their rhinos, it’s great to see.
    Besides their two main breeding females, ‘Inyeti’ and ‘Caballe’, Australia Zoo also has female ‘Kibibi’ from Monarto Zoo. She moved to Australia Zoo in October 2017 and was part of a female swap with ‘Savannah’ (the first rhino born at Australia Zoo).

Last edited: 18 Sep 2019
    Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Awesome! This is Caballe's eighth calf, and her first in almost four years:

1.0 Inkosi (born 06/01/2002 at Hamilton Zoo) sire: Zambezi
    1.0 Mtoto (born 17/02/2004 at Hamilton Zoo) sire: Zambezi
    1.0 Unnamed (stillborn 01/04/2005 at Hamilton Zoo) sire: Zambezi
    0.1 Imani (born 26/03/2007 at Hamilton Zoo) sire: Zambezi
    0.1 Savannah (born 12/04/2011 at Australia Zoo) sire: Kruger
    1.0 Winston (born 04/05/2013 at Australia Zoo) sire: DJ/Ganini
    1.0 Humphrey (born 11/10/2015 at Australia Zoo) sire: DJ/Ganini
    1.0 Kingston (born 00/07/2019 at Australia Zoo) sire: DJ/Ganini

The International Southern White Rhinoceros studbook lists dams that have given birth as old as 42 years of age; so at 24, Caballe could have several more calves in her yet. She may even break the current record of 15 calves to a dam (if she can produce eight more calves over the next 18 years). :)

5. Jambo

She is a very successful mother! :) Her two eldest sons, Mtoto and Inkosi are currently being bred at their respective zoos, Altina and Auckland; as is Imani at Hamilton, and Savannah at Monarto. So she could be a grandmother anytime soon! :D

Zorro, Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

Australia Zoo has welcomed the birth of twin Ring-tailed Lemurs. The zoo almost has 30 Ring-tailed Lemurs (breeding group is off-display).
    Security Check

Zorro, Jambo and TinoPup like this.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was watching an episode of Season 2 of Crikey! It’s the Irwin’s on Animal Planet, and they also plan on renovating the enclosures for their American Alligators and Saltwater Crocodiles.

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This may be of interest. Australia Zoo have just advertised for an Elephant Keeper. Sorry that is all I know.

9. Thomas

If it is true, then the Elephants are coming back.

10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is exciting news! There doesn’t appear to be a huge number of options within the region however, now we know that Melbourne’s elephants are being relocated to Werribee (which could accomodate the entire herd); and the new Sydney Zoo are also looking to acquire Asian elephants.

My guess is one of the facilities will receive the two adolescent bulls from TWPZ (Luk Chai and Pathi Harn); the other will receive Man Jai from Melbourne Zoo. His export would allow the import of the bull from Perth Zoo to breed with the Melbourne cows ahead of their move to Werribee.

My theory is Melbourne have held off on importing a new bull due to the uncertainty of the herd’s future (now resolved); and the risk of introducing EEHV to Man Jai; which could be resolved by his export to either Australia Zoo or Sydney Zoo.

11. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the ad it does specifically name that the zoo will be working on a ‘Sumatran elephant breeding programme’ and with the other elephants being from the Thailand import (therefore Indian subspecies) I’d say it’s safe to assume that they’re looking at an import of Sumatrans. I have also heard a rumour that this might be the case, although I heard that a while back but then again given how long import into Australia can take to get happening this would be my bet.

Also here is a link to the ad for any potential elephant keepers, or just any interested zoochatters :p
    Australia Zoo - Full-Time Elephant/Large Animal Zookeeper

12. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Regardless if it takes forever to source or not, the potential return of elephants to Australia Zoo is huge; finally a development at the zoo that’s actually for animals.

13. Thomas

Also the Crocodile and Alligator enclosures as well part of the Camp Crocodile Hunter.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Thomas

Today is Steve Irwin Day everyone, to my idol who inspired me into the world of animals.
    Check out the Steve Irwin Legacy Story on Animal Planet.

TinoPup likes this.
  15. RafikiKnowsTheWay

RafikiKnowsTheWay Member

Some sources I have very close to Australia Zoo have confirmed that they in fact HAVE their Sumatran Elephants AT the zoo! Yes, they've been imported under a fairly covert operation though I'm still quite surprised it hasn't leaked further? A lot of you reading this will not believe me but mark my word, you heard it here first.

May I suggest for anyone living local or travelling through... head down to 'Bunney Road' which is a public road behind the zoo and launch a drone (if you're that way inclined)... the elephant yards are only a few hundred meters away! You'll be in for a surprise ;-)

I am for one, a HUGE fan of this program and cannot wait till they release further details (officially) !! I've long read the forums but never bothered to join and take part. I've been busting at the seams about this so decided to bite the bullet and share this news.

16. Thomas

Here's an episode of Crikey! It's the Irwins that talks about the Crocodile and Alligator Renovations.

Bosco The Croc's Big Move | Crikey! It's the Irwins

Jake likes this.
  17. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am a little surprised that you have had no replys in regards to your big news since you are 100% correct!

18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Four female Sumatran elephants Christina, Megawati, Widya and Raflesia now make AZ home (7 news). To go on show for the school Holidays!

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  19. Jambo

That’s amazing. Are they permanent? And if so, are they planning to breed them?

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well at the moment - they have a group of four female's :rolleyes: so are missing a vital ingredient if they want babies....

Cassidy Casuar likes this.